New TV

I have a couple of plasma TVs and absolutely love them. I have not had anything but plasma TVs since they first became popular. I set the colors on "vivid" and enjoy the more vivid, brighter than life picture. The blacks seem extra-black to me, too, and the picture is so pretty!

Next time I will probably go with something else, though, if plasma TVs are becoming obsolete. They are awfully expensive, so I don't see the point in paying extra if the other types of TV are satisfactory.

I'm also been a plasma TV person because of the black levels, I never cared for LCDs because of that. Plus they seemed to have a much more natural look for motion etc. like CRTs used to have.

The plasma replacement is supposed to be OLED, which has the best black levels you can get because the screen area is completely dark in true black areas due to the way the panel works. Unfortunately right now OLEDs are still crazy expensive but give it a couple of years and they'll be popular for those that want the best picture.

I own a Panasonic plasma. Not even true high def by todays standards. It's now about 8 years old if not more. I watch football and action movies mostly, so its the best for that. Ditto for my kids xbox killing alein games. For football and action the plasma is still king, even if at a lower res rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

+1000

The type of connections available are MUCH more important to me than whether the TV is plasma or not. That's something I didn't really research as much as I should have when I bought my TV's. I just assumed (wrongly) that a TV that expensive would have enough connections. :rolleyes:

My old plasma has one HD cable connection and two fiber optic. I have 4 of each now input plus multiple ethernet devices sharing one wall jack. How? Smart splitters and optical y connectors. No problems at all when done correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Plasma TVs don't do well at high altitude. I had a 58" Panasonic plasma at the old house (altitude - 12 feet). I loved it. It and the rest of the home theater stayed with the house. The new house is at 8700 feet. I will be putting in a home theater, but plasma won't be considered.

Hermit

We're old school, I guess. Still have a 52 inch Mitsu DLP. It's about 7 yrs old now and we have to change out the bulb every 2 yrs. Not sure what we will do when the present bulb dies. I shudder to think what we paid for this thing but the picture is really good.

I have a Samsung 50" DLP set that's about eleven years old now, still with the original lamp.

x305HLP5063-o_MT.jpeg

Who knows what the technology will be when our 73" Mitsubishi DLP (10 years old on the 3rd bulb) finally bites the dust. At 8400' elevation though, plasma has never been an option here.

We have plasmas that are getting older. Pioneer in the family room. I think it's a Samsung in my workshop. We're happy with them and we won't upgrade until these croak.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Plasma TVs don't do well at high altitude. I had a 58" Panasonic plasma at the old house (altitude - 12 feet). I loved it. It and the rest of the home theater stayed with the house. The new house is at 8700 feet. I will be putting in a home theater, but plasma won't be considered.

Hermit

I was aware of this "feature" of plasmas (I live at ~6000 feet), but took a chance on a Pioneer five years ago. Other than a slight buzzing (barely audible only if the sound is muted), I have been happy with the performance.

I have a Samsung 50" DLP set that's about eleven years old now, still with the original lamp.

I had it for 5 years and was on my 3rd lamp before I retired it to masters bedroom. Every two years whe I changed the lamp, it was like getting a new TV.

We're old school, I guess. Still have a 52 inch Mitsu DLP. It's about 7 yrs old now and we have to change out the bulb every 2 yrs. Not sure what we will do when the present bulb dies. I shudder to think what we paid for this thing but the picture is really good.

We have a 73" Mits DLP and love the picture. We are on 4th or 5th bulb. I am waiting for it to die and it just won't.

Will replace with Samsung UHD, all our mobile devices are Samsung.

We have a 73" Mits DLP and love the picture. We are on 4th or 5th bulb. I am waiting for it to die and it just won't.

Will replace with Samsung UHD, all our mobile devices are Samsung.

Done it this year. It is really good, and made me watch movies again, even old ones we watched before. I am in market to buy a sub $1000 4k camera/video camera to provide our own 4k content.

Done it this year. It is really good, and made me watch movies again, even old ones we watched before. I am in market to buy a sub $1000 4k camera/video camera to provide our own 4k content.

Let me know about the camera. That sounds like good fun. Is your tv curved? I am on the fence on that points.

Let me know about the camera. That sounds like good fun. Is your tv curved? I am on the fence on that points.

Yes, my TV is curved. It made all the difference in the buying decision. Best Buy had one curved and a non curved Samsung TV side by side for demo. To make a long story short, you can see more (peripheral area) with curved TV. You can also sit closer, making the TV even larger.

I've checked out two sub $100k 4k cameras. One is from GoPro, and another from Panasonic (Lumix FZ1000). There are lots of video demos/reviews on YouTube which I checked out with my 4k UHD TV. For its price, it seems to be good enough. Professional grade 4k camera is too cumbersome and out of my LBYM budget.

Just this year, we replaced our 10+ year old 46" Samsung DLP. We now have a 50" LG backlit LED. My, has technology changed! There is no comparison at all. At about 1/4 the cost, the LG is light years ahead of the Samsung.

WR2 Thanks for mentioning the reviews, I needed a good laugh. Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We have both and can't really tell a lot of difference in picture quality

Back
Top Bottom