Join Early Retirement Today

New Year's Day movies
Old 12-31-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Year's Day movies

I don't know if a similar thread already exists, but I'll start this one anyway.

Seeing as how it's New Year's Eve, I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be doing this evening. Based on prior experience, I also can make a good guess about what New Year's Day will be like. So... assuming I'm not in much a shape to do anything but veg out and recover, I decided it'll probably be a movies-at-home day for at least a portion of it.

My one choice was actually prompted by something found in my stocking. I can't believe I'd never gotten one before, but... my very first iTunes gift card!

I got a couple of already-owned (but in LP form) albums with it, but had additional credit left that I wasn't sure about. Then I remembered a ringtone I had on my former cellphone (a Nokia clamshell). I loved that tone, but when I replaced the Nokia with an iPhone, I couldn't seem to locate that exact one, so I settled for a substitute. But I was feeling brave this week and, with iTunes credit in hand (or on account), went on the hunt again. Hallelujah - there it was! The theme song from the Austin Powers movies!

I had that thing for most of my clamshell life, and it always made me smile. But probably the most fun was one time, at work, I was part of some insanely-boring "long-term organizational planning" type meeting, all seated at some huge wooden conference table. Oh my, what torture. Normally, I never received personal calls at work (wouldn't bring the cell to meetings or silenced it) but this one time I did, and Austin Powers rang out, loud as you please. Everyone's head turned and they looked at me. I just smiled and said, "Groovy, baby!!!".

So at some point tomorrow I'll watch, for the first time in a long time, Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery. If it's still good and I'm feeling groovy enough, I may run the table. Unless someone else offers some good suggestions (that's your cue).

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2015, 01:19 PM   #2

That is an excellent New Year choice of movie!

Tomorrow we will be either celebrating Clemson's big win or drowning our losing sorrows in a big vat of collard greens and Hoppin John.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Seeing as how it's New Year's Eve, I have a pretty good idea of what I'll be doing this evening. Based on prior experience, I also can make a good guess about what New Year's Day will be like.
I have a pretty good idea too. In bed by the time the last college Bowl game ends at around 10:30. New Years Day... football all day.

Haven't seen Austin Powers in a long time, maybe i'll watch that if there's a bowl game I don't care much about.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:43 PM   #4

That's right: Jan 1 is owned by college football when all's right with the world.

I think Clemson made a big statement recently (around here, anyway). I think they're ready to rumble about now.

Groovy, baby!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #5

I can go to sleep long before midnight, happy, thanks to that decisive victory for my Tigers!
Wooohoooo!

Old 12-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I can go to sleep long before midnight, happy, thanks to that decisive victory for my Tigers!
Wooohoooo!
They looked better than I expected. Going into today, my prediction was Alabama wins by at least 2 scores and Oklahoma wins in a close game then loses to Alabama in the championship. With how good Clemson looked, it seems like Alabama will have their hands full. I still expect Alabama to win it all but i'm not so sure now.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:36 PM   #7

Tonight was the best I've seen them play and I caught most of their games this season.
Alabama is tough, no doubt about it. But we sure would love for our underdogs to win it all!

Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Duck Soup.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:35 PM   #9

Warched Duck Soup last night. Tonight it's Mythbusters and tomorrow probably college football.
Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I gave my closest friend an iTunes gift card for Christmas and she texted me tonight that she had already watched a movie using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 01-01-2016, 01:12 PM   #11

I've had myself cryogenically frozen and will join The Class Of 2041.

Viva Las Vegas, baby!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I've had myself cryogenically frozen and will join The Class Of 2041.
That's cold.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 01:15 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We watched Foxcatchers last night. Sad and disturbing story...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #14

New Year's Day didn't end with just Austin Powers. Later on Jan 1, a bunch of people, many musicians among them, got together for a great time including hoppin john's and collard greens. Lots of singing and playing going on well into Jan 2. Also, someone brought some fantastic brownies made with Ghirardelli! I'm not sure what it was, but I thought I started sounding a lot better after that.