New Year's Resolutions!

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was going to start the New Year with the resolution to walk or be active for at least 10 mins to avoid the after lunch zone-out/sleepies and improve blood sugar control.

But here I am having taken my after lunch nap again!* :blush:

*Not really. I ran an hour's worth of errands right after lunch which included some walking. So it was probably good enough.

It's also tough to go walking when it's drizzling outside all day, but I decided housework counts too.

But how does one remember New Year's Resolutions anyway? That's the hard part.

No resolutions for me, no more self-improvement projects. Now I'm just trying to hang on to what I've got.

I resolve to write 2017 instead of 2016. I know it's gonna be tough for a while but i intent to keep at it Intel I no longer have a problem.

I gave up on New Year resolution after realizing the only one I really kept was the one to not make any more New Year resolutions. :facepalm: I still have a lot of respect for folks that have the discipline to do these.

To RE in 3 months.

Same as last year.
I resolve to limit myself to just one glass of beer per day.

I get to fill it as often as I like, but just the one glass.

I love the idea of resolutions--some are successful for me (quitting smoking 42 years ago), some not. This year involves getting into a routine with a few things, nothing too ambitious.

1) Each day to give thanks for two things I'm grateful for
2) Walk each day and stay I shape

Yeah - I didn't do resolutions for many years.

But I think I need this one. I need to get my triglycerides down.

But how does one remember New Year's Resolutions anyway? That's the hard part.

I can think of a couple of ways:

1. Make a screen saver for your computer that lists your resolutions.

2. If you have an Echo, have Alexa remind you of them, one by one, each morning.

:D

Me too. A long time ago and I kept it - :)

I gave up on New Year resolution after realizing the only one I really kept was the one to not make any more New Year resolutions. :facepalm: I still have a lot of respect for folks that have the discipline to do these.

I actually like New year's resolutions. I find it really gives me objectives and goals to work towards. Now mine are usually light and fun. Like this year I want to pursue learning French.
I make them every year.

I resolve not to get angry at the flood of people at the gym this month. They will be gone by February.

I made a resolution years ago that I have stuck to. That was to never make new years resolutions.

I'm not a fan of New Year's Resolutions, but will look like it as I just retired and now have to figure out how to schedule my new found time. Among my changes coming up this month are: find a new workout facility (used to work out at our work gym), do a lot of projects around the house I've been holding off on, take the time to cook at home instead of doing the express packed lunches I used to do, etc. This transition corresponds with the New Year, but the January 1 date isn't the driving factor.

I didn't really think of these things as resolutions because I don't really make NY's resolutions... but after I saw this thread I suppose they could be. Here are three things I decided to do this year:

1) Try to manage stress better.

There are busy times of year at work (4th quarter is the worst) and I try to take it one day at a time; sometimes that works and sometimes not so much. To accomplish this I'm going to take advantage of the not-so-busy times when I can and not feel guilty. I'm going to continue to exercise- and try to do it over the lunch hour as much as possible. This does wonders for keeping me relaxed- mind, body and spirit. I'm also going to take more breaks, like going out for a quick beer with a coworker after work. That seems to help a lot. I'm doing great with this one so far... but haven't been to work yet this year. :cool:

2) Record and categorize our household spending every day.

I've wanted to do this for a while but it's such a pain have never gotten around to it. And there's not much motivation when you don't need to budget. We're fortunate that we can afford to buy something when we need or want it. The goal here is to see how the cash is running through the household so we can identify which expenses will carry into retirement and which will not. We're 7 years away from retirement (although we've been talking about moving up that date more and more) so we've got time to figure it all out, but I like the idea of seeing it now to ensure we're going in the right direction and our plan is reasonable. I'm also keeping up with this one so far... bought one thing and recorded the $18 as a gift for a friend.

3) Increase my average weekly running distance and sign up for several races.

Nothing too specific with this but I'd like to do more than I did last year. After many years of not running (20??) I started up again last spring and got the fever to run more. I find that when I get going too quickly I injure myself so I've been cautious and trying not to do too much too soon. It's hard with a 16 year old track and cross country star in the house... he's very motivating. Anyway, I started with 1-2 miles every day or two and quickly brought that up to 2-4 miles every day or two. I ran a 5k with my son (he lost me after about 10 meters) during the summer and that went great. We decided later we would both try a half marathon so I worked my way up to more regular runs of 4-6 miles with occasional 7 or 8 miles. We ran the half marathon December 4th... I finished very respectably, which was quite an accomplishment for me. DS finished 3rd overall and first in his age group... very proud dad. So for 2017, I'd like to run at least a few 10Ks or 15Ks and maybe another half marathon... and step up my pace (no particular goal yet). So far so good for the year... ran 9.0 miles yesterday to run off the NY Eve party food. :)

Ride more, and further. Planning to attend the BMW MOA national rally in Salt Lake City, plus the usual regional events around the area.

A few goals for 2017:

1) move back to the east coast.
2) renovate retirement home, doing as much of the work as I can. I am hoping to be done by Christmas 2017.
3) continue to streamline portfolio so that it can be put on autopilot.

I am usually not a resolution maker, especially starting at a certain calendar date, but I've decided I have to do something about my procrastination. I just leave too many things undone, simple things like leaving laundry in the dryer rather than immediately taking it out and putting it away, or unloading the dishwasher, or just putting away stuff and letting it sit on countertops and tables. I'm going to try to do a lot better at that this year, starting now (yesterday, in fact).

I don't make resolutions in general but after the holidays seems a good time to make changes. I decided months ago that this January I would make a tremendous push to get rid of unused items, organize papers, and restart weight loss efforts. After all, we have no gardening and much fewer other activities in January than in other months.

On 12/27 I came down gastroenteritis. One day was bad, the next day significantly better. I wasn't hungry until 12/30 but was eating a little 12/29. I decided to launch the dietary changes a couple of days early since I had very little appetite anyway. I started on a ketogenic diet, at the recommendation of a new forum member and after research.

It has turned out to be revolutionary for me so far. I eat the types of food that satisfy me. All desire to snack, have alcohol at all, sit and watch TV, or do other addictive behaviors has vanished. I'm happier, my knees work better, I'm thinking more clearly. I've lost 9.5 lbs with only mild calorie restriction--mostly because I don't feel like eating any more than that. I exercise moderately. Last, I jumped into decluttering and have gotten more done in 10 days than I did in the previous 5 months.

Life's good.

Back
Top Bottom