Newbie seeks advice on moving to Raleigh, NC

Happy Guy

Confused about dryer sheets
Greetings FIREES:

I turned in my papers and as of COB June 1 will be retired after 32 years with the Federal Government in DC. I’m not exactly retiring early by some people’s standards (I’m 55), but by almost any other comparison I’m extremely fortunate in being able to go at this time. I’ve been reading this board for a year or so and thank you all for the abundant good advice and good cheer you have put forth. I have learned a great deal. Now that the time is here I thought I would begin participating with a question regarding our planned move to North Carolina.

As others have observed, the DC area is an expensive place to live, especially with respect to real estate. My wife and I have owned a home for 27 years and have quite a bit of equity. Part of our retirement plan is to sell the house and move to an area with cheaper real estate. We have settled on the (very) general vicinity of Raleigh, NC, for several reasons: 1) cheaper real estate, 2) some family history, 3) no state tax on some Federal pensions (mine is one); and 4) we just like the area. Our dream is to find a place with a few acres and some trees that is not all the way out in the country. We have seen quite a few such places on the internet over the past couple of years, so we know they are there.

However, something we also have noticed, to our dismay, is that greater Raleigh is growing in leaps and bounds. Some places don’t look much different from Northern Virginia, especially the traffic. Development seems almost chaotic in places, with townhouse developments next to farms and new roads going in all over the area. In our exploratory trips down there we seem to be spiraling further and further out to find some sort of tranquility, but we fear development will overtake us once we are there. Now, I’m sure some will observe that a lot of that is because of people like us, but what can I say?

So, my question is to ask if anyone here who is familiar with the Raleigh area can advise us on our move? Where is development headed and where has it pretty much settled down? We have focused lately on southern and eastern Wake County and northern Johnston County. We also like the Lake Wheeler area and thereabouts, but no area has been ruled out. I expect to have a little more time now :D to do more research, but any advice you may offer would be most welcome.

Oh, and neither my wife nor I have ever moved more than 10 miles from where we grew up, so we are complete novices in the relocation department. I can see us moving to a dream home on a flood plain next to a hog farm at the end of a runway, and then finding it behind an interstate sound barrier or a mega mall a couple years down the road. Yikes! Any tips on moving to a new area would also be most welcome!

Cheers

Tom

Welcome aboard Tom! The NC fanclub and relocation experts will be along shortly! Have you taken out community newspaper subscriptions for the vicinity yet? Lots of the concerns you have do get a proper trouncing in the local rags.

Thanks for the advice, CC. I look at the Raleigh News Observer on-line and will investigate some of the more local papers.

Tom

I am not well versed in the Raleigh area, but I can tell you that they are extending a couple highways (540 and one other?) further south into the RTP area. My megacorp is one that is building a new major center in that area, and we are hiring and transferring a bunch of folks there in the coming years.

I am down in Fuquay Varina about 20 miles south of downtown raleigh. Lots of nice areas. For property I would say Chatham county which is about 30 miles west might be a better place to look. Now I had an acre in NJ when I Erd and sold and moved down here last year. I now have a fantastic house with all the bells and whistles that my wife wanted for just over 300K but a small lot 1/4 acre. I do have a great riparian zone with water behind my house so inrealty I have many acres that will never be built on behind me. Woods and water.

Southern wake county is also another place to look.

Email me I can send you some info.

Happy Guy said:
I can see us moving to a dream home on a flood plain next to a hog farm at the end of a runway, and then finding it behind an interstate sound barrier or a mega mall a couple years down the road.

Don't have any advice on moving to Raleigh, but I can imagine a real blockbuster of a movie based on your "dream house" nightmare! Got to admit it made me laugh out loud!

Happy Guy: I used to live in Annandale and eventually moved to Chapel Hill, so I can certainly empathize with you.

Take a look at this website, I found it to be quite useful:
http://tinyurl.com/2naz6y

Have you been down here for some "look-see" trips? North Raleigh is booming, as well as Cary, Apex and the area south of Chapel Hill (Chatham County). There are also quite a few spots around Jordan Lake I'd love to build a house on. I think you should spend a couple of weeks down here to drive around and get a feel for the place.

Personally, I like Chapel Hill for its university feel and its cosmopolitan population: My neighbors are British, Chinese, New Zealander, French and Indian.

Feel free to ask on this board, or to PM me if you have questions.

Achiever51:

Yea, that could provide a lot of material. But it's not too far from reality. A couple of years ago we found a place on the internet over near Goldsboro that was exactly what we were looking for, at a fantastic price. Too fantastic, I thought. So I pulled up the aerial photos and saw that it was surrounded by hog farms and was directly in line with an Air Force runway a mile or two away. I don't know about the flood plain but it was near the area that was flooded by the hurricane 10 years or so ago. Remember all the dead hogs floating around? That was enlightening!

Hey, I just had a thought, maybe Arnold as me and Eva Longoria as DW?

I live here:
Great area, our population increases 1 every 5 seconds or something like
that:
The result:
We can't build roads fast enough, but we're finally catching up
We can't build schools fast enough, now they are going year-round
What housing slump?
If you don't like college basketball, you're going to hate that season,
cause almost everybody is a huge fan, they take off normal programming
to show ACC games.
Lots of yankees northerners they even are able to support a hockey team.
Durham bulls, great baseball, great stadium, cheap entertainment.
you can swing a dead cat without hitting a new shopping center and
the prerequisite 6 restuarants.
3 hrs from beach or mountains...
TJ

My congrats on leaving the rat race in DC. I was born there (1961) and lived in NoVA nearly all my life. It's a mixed bag (the huge growth in DC area). Perhaps it's partly nostalgia (I'm old at 45?) but it seems to me the area really has gone to hell since the 1960s/1970s (NoVA -- DC was already there by the 1960s, I guess!) I mean, a Ferrari dealer in Ashburn? Give me a f-----g break!!!! Anyway, about Raleigh....ahem I really don't know much about the area. I'm trying to get my soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend to move there (she needs a job -- top ten area in the USA -- and has relative in the area = no brainer, I would think.) I'm sure it's a nice retirement area -- college town(s), hospitals, and all that. As for ruanway development, I really can't say. My own folks escaped far enough away (Page Co. VA = Luray) but it's pretty [sound effect of spittoon] out there...probably still is. DC air pollution and not a Wal-Mart within an hour's drive. That sucks. I hope you can find your little horse farm or whatever your dream is. Perhaps somewhere not quite in the Raleigh area!

Hi Tom,
I've lived in Chapel Hill for over 20 years and love it here. but for a 3 acre farm perhaps you should look in Alamance County around the Mebane area or out 54 between Chapel Hill and Mebane. Chatham County will triple in population in 10 years and Wake county is already over populated and is growing very fast ie not much farm land. There is probably farm land in Johnston county but that area has a more "redneck" feel and Raleigh is moving that way. Hope this helps.

kbst :)

I lived in Raleigh for about 6 years while I did my graduate work at North Carolina State University. That was about 24 years ago. I enjoyed many things about that period of my life. I'm sure anything that I didn't enjoy has changed since then. :) I hope you love it there. :D

Back
Top Bottom