Join Early Retirement Today

nm
Old 12-11-2005, 05:30 PM   #1

nm

nm
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Farm raised Salmon vs. Wild Salmon
Old 12-11-2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of the things I've read on salmon say that farm-raised has much higher levels of pcb's and dioxins and also less omega-3 fatty acids than wild-caught. And supposedly the fisheries that wild salmon come from are not overfished (one of the few)...

But you may be right on taste. Maybe the pcb's give it that "extra something.."

pb
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrane
Most of the things I've read on salmon say that farm-raised has much higher levels of pcb's and dioxins and also less omega-3 fatty acids than wild-caught. And supposedly the fisheries that wild salmon come from are not overfished (one of the few)...

But you may be right on taste. Maybe the pcb's give it that "extra something.."

pb
Of course you are reading that Farm raised Salmon have 'bad stuff' in them. This is all part of the Commercial Fishing Lobby. They are going to try to convince the consumer that they cause cancer and every bad thing that you think of.

If you think that farm raised Salmon have bad things in them. Have you ever considered what Bacon, Sausages and other processed meats have in them?

Do not be swayed by the bad press of farm raised salmon. I have been following this scam up close and personal for the last 20 years!
Old 12-11-2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

C-T,
I like hearing this and really hope it's true.* One caveat; even my doctor tells me not to eat farm-raised salmon.* My uncle raises catfish in Louisiana.* I watched him feed them, by spraying grain into the pond.* I gather this is the equivalent of eating cattle that have been fattened at the feedlot, rather than on the range.*

I don't doubt that the lobbies are rallying against the farm-raised.* The only question, is who do you believe?* I do like the farm-raised salmon because of the price and cannot tell a significant difference between farm-raised and the "wild" salmon.* I will apply the smell test to further purchases, and buy the cheaper brand, because, well... I am inclined to do so.*

BTW: Is this part of the lobbying effort??
http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/food/salmon/

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 06:43 PM   #5

CT, thanks for the info.
It is only the last 8 months that I started buying store wild salmon because of negative information about farm fed and it didn't hurt that the wild was usually $1 less. Frankly, I always liked the taste of the farm fed salmon better. The wild appears to have a slightly gamy taste. Should it?
Under normal circumstances, I don't eat bacon, sausages and other processed meats, so your analogy doesn't work for me so I am back to questioning the health differences between farm fed and wild.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
The wild appears to have a slightly gamy taste. Should it?
Most farm raised salmon are Atlantic Salmon. - They have a 'milder' taste than wild Sockeye (which has blood red flesh and is leaner). If your Salmon is Fresh it will be delicious!

BTW - Doctors, just claim that they know everything!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #7

The definition of fresh fish is what the bear on the left enjoyed about .5 seconds after this picture was snapped, thanks to the salmon on the right.

However, bears aside, the best fish I've ever tasted was at a tourist trap in Ketchikan where they caught the fish behind the barbeque minutes before cooking,* Of course, there were some special cooking secrets at play also.* This where I learned that fresh halibut is about 100 times better than* salmon.* If you cruise to Alaska, be sure to check this place out.

Damn,* I can't believe so many people are not watching Survivor.* A little culture here people* :
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:23 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

For the year and a half that I worked out of Anchorage some years back, there was nothing, absolutely nothing, better than fresh Alaskan halibut, right out of the boat. *The downside is that since I left Alaska, I no longer enjoy halibut near as well as I did back then.

I have experienced fresh salmon right out of the water in Alaska as well and it is outstanding. It is worth a trip to Alaska during fishing season just to experience that.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Most farm raised salmon are Atlantic Salmon. - They have a 'milder' taste than wild Sockeye (which has blood red flesh and is leaner). If your Salmon is Fresh it will be delicious!
The wild they sell in supermarkets is Silverbrite (Keta) salmon. It has pale beige red colored flesh compared to the bright red Atlantic farm fed.
As I mentioned in another thread the wild can be on sale for $3 while the farm fed is $4. I wonder if the gamier taste of the wild over the farm fed is the reason it is $1 less. I bought my father a couple of lbs of the wild once and he told me not to buy anymore for him. He prefers the farm fed.

I guess which ever I am eating here in NYC, it won't compare to the fresh taste of the one that was just caught. I'm glad my taste buds haven't been spoiled yet. I am running out of decent protein to eat.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Fresh [/b]Salmon filets about 3/4 inch to 1 inch thick and coat with lemon juice and then baste with Canola oil. Salt and Pepper and sprinkle with Rosemary and Tarragon. Broil for about 5 minutes and remove from Broiler. Flip the Salmon Filet to the other side. Baste with Lemon Juice, Canola oil, salt and pepper, and the Rosemary and Taragon. Return to the Broiler for another 5 minutes. Remove and enjoy. - This is the simplest and 1 of my top 5 ways to enjoy Salmon.

Try it and report back - I guarantee that it will be some of the finest Salmon you've eaten - If the Salmon is Fresh!
OK you're on CT. *I'll get DW to try this next week when DS and DD are home.
Fresh?? *Well it has been in the freezer for about a month after the dry ice trip from Anchorage. *I agree that it goes downhill pretty quit, but it is still pretty good. :P
Old 12-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick
OK you're on CT. I'll get DW to try this next week when DS and DD are home.
Fresh?? Well it has been in the freezer for about a month after the dry ice trip from Anchorage. I agree that it goes downhill pretty quit, but it is still pretty good. :P
Once it has been in the freezer it is no longer fresh, and the taste is marginal at best. Wait and get some fresh Salmon, before you judge the receipe!

I am allowed to take home about 6 Salmon on my yearly trip to Alaska. These fillets total about 50 pounds in weight. I no longer take them home, because they cannot be eaten fresh. I go to Grocery Store and buy a Single Pound, but I make sure it's Fresh.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Once it has been in the freezer it is no longer fresh, and the taste is marginal at best. Wait and get some fresh Salmon, before you judge the receipe!
The next batch of fresh won't happen til this spring, but I'll try it anyway.* I'll post an outstanding method of deep frying (I know, I know) salmon and halibut nuggets that are less than perfectly fresh.
These guys are great, but I know without asking- - -CT doesn't do deep fried salmon*
Old 12-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"Fresh" salmon can be either farm raised or wild.

The color of salmon is affected by how recently it has consumed other fish. My husband's favorite catch of a King out of the Kenai was not a bright pink and, frankly, not the best flavor. Farm salmon feed contains a dye.

For various reasons I prefer wild salmon over farm raised.

With respect to farm salmon over other farm raised meats, many of the products listed rarely appear in my kitchen. That is not to say “never”. As in all things, moderation.

Old 12-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #14

I don't care to eat farm raised salmon. I've read what are fed to them.
I would rather eat canned Alaskan Socked salmon spread on toast than farm raised salmon.
I want to support the Alaskan fisherman all year round and I would rather pay the canned price than the $6 a pound at the supper maket for farm raised price.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I order grilled salmon at the country club and I know it is frozen when they get it and it is more than likely farm raised. Believe it or not.........it is very good! Of course I'm not as picky as some either. I'm an old southern boy that loves fried catfish too!*
Old 12-12-2005, 07:58 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Very hard to get fresh fish here. The easiest to get tends to be herring. A lot of people don't seem to like herring, but when it is fresh it is great.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Would you think a 'Wild' Filet mignon would taste better than a feedlot Filet Mignon?

One of my most cherished memories as a lad was stalking the elusive Mignon. They were
fiesty little characters, and when cornered could be downright nasty.
However, if you were lucky enough to "bag" one, you were rewarded with a taste that far surpassed those "farm fed" Mignons.
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:24 AM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
One of my most cherished memories as a lad was stalking the elusive Mignon. They were
fiesty little characters, and when cornered could be downright nasty.
However, if you were lucky enough to "bag" one, you were rewarded with a taste that far surpassed those "farm fed" Mignons.
Wait,...let me guess. One of your favorites is fresh wild Mignon on wheat.

This thread is way too fishy...

Old 12-12-2005, 08:34 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

CT:

Do you have any experience with Great Lakes Salmon of the various varieties? There is no commercial fishery for them, thank goodness, but I've managed a few invitations on a friend's boat and some charter trips. Coho's, Kings, whatever, they're delicious. But I've heard some people put them down as not being as good as their salt water cousins.
Old 12-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #20

I may have a different take on fresh vs. frozen. In general, I only buy frozen salmon. It is usually fresher than "fresh" salmon (that may have been recently thawed out). At least with frozen salmon you know it was caught, killed, gutted and fast-frozen pretty quickly. "Fresh" salmon may have been sitting in the display case for hours or days. No thanks. We also enjoy the convenience of popping a couple filets out of the freezer for some quick broiled salmon.

The quick-freeze that commercial food prep facilities use is much different from putting a fresh piece of fish in your home freezer. The slow-freeze process from your freezer causes large ice crystals to form, which damage the tissue and cells much more than the quick-freeze that has causes very tiny ice crystals to form.

I learned this preference for frozen over "fresh" from my uncle the fish restaurant owner. Unless you see it caught and gutted, you're probably getting fresher fish if you buy frozen. Even fish flown in "fresh" same day has been sitting on ice decomposing for many hours at a minimum.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote