Join Early Retirement Today

Re: A retiree co-worker of mine - dead at 63...............
Old 03-31-2006, 10:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poboy
What is this thing called "snow" that so many mention on this thread?
Poboy, I'm not sure what it is either, but a retired friend of mine from Buffalo, NY loves to tell a story that he thinks is hilarious...

When he left the w*rking world, he got rid of most of his stuff, packed his few remaining posessions in his car, tied something he called a "snow shovel" to the roof and started driving south. He said he would stop in small towns all along the way and walk around for a while tying to get a feel for where he would like to settle down. One day he pulled into some small burg, parked, got out and someone asked him, "What's that on the roof of your car"?

That's where he now calls home.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2006, 11:02 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
I received an email this morning from a widower friend I have corresponded with for a couple of years.* The note turned out to from his wife informing his friends that he had died suddenly yesterday.*
Sorry, I don't understand * You received a note from a dead woman?*

Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I think you would like Gabe to make his own way in the world. - That is part of the experience.* - You can't really appreciate retirement unless you've been a wage slave.
Well-said. Then again, there are many brilliant thinkers throughout history who were scions of great (wealthy) families (or married into them) who have brought numerous benefits to mankind. I suppose it really comes down to character, and doing something "constructive" with one's time. This is something my father always drilled into me as a child -- he would always encourage me to go do something constructive, which invariably meant more chores. When I went out on my own, I carried with me that desire to always be doing something constructive.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

AUG 12 Moved to our new home in Boston. It is so beautiful here. The rolling countryside is breathtaking. Can hardly wait to see the snow. I love it here.

OCT 14 Boston is the most beautiful place on earth. The leaves are turned all the colors and shades of red and orange. Went for a ride through the beautiful country and saw some deer. They are so graceful, certainly they are the most wonderful animal on earth. This must be paradise. I love it here.

NOV 11 Deer season will start soon. I can't imagine anyone wanting to kill such a gorgeous creature. Hope it will snow soon. I love it here.

DEC 2 It snowed last night. Woke up to find everything blanketed with white. It looks like a postcard. We went outside and cleaned the snow off the steps and shoveled the driveway. We had a snowball fight (I won), and when the snow plow came by, we had to shovel again. What a beautiful place. I love northern Boston.

DEC 12 More snow last night. I love it. The snow plow did his trick again to the driveway. I love it here.

DEC 19 More snow last night. Couldn't get out of the driveway to get to work. I am exhausted from shoveling. ****ing snow plow.

DEC 22 More of that white **** fell last night. I've got blisters on my hands from shoveling. I think the snow plow hides around the curve and waits until I'm done shoveling the driveway. Asshole!

DEC 25 Merry ****ing Christmas! More friggin snow. If I ever get my hands on that son-of-a-bitch who drives that snow plow, I swear I'll kill the bastard. Don't know why they don't use more salt on the roads to melt the ****ing ice.

DEC 27 More white **** last night. Been inside for 3 days except for shoveling out the driveway after that snow plow goes through every time. Can't go anywhere, car's stuck in a mountain of white ****. The weatherman says to expect another 10" of the **** again tonight. Do you know how many shovles full of snow 10" is?

DEC 28 The ****ing weatherman was wrong. We got 34" of that white **** this time. At this rate it won't melt before next summer. The snow plow got stuck up the road and that bastard came to the door and asked to borrow my shovel. After I told him I had broken six shovels already shoveling all the **** he pushed into the driveway, I broke my last one over his ****ing head.

JAN 4 Finally out of the house today. Went to the store to get food and on the way back a damned deer ran in front of the car and I hit it. Did about $3,000 damage to the car. Those ****ing beasts should be killed. Wish the hunters had killed them all last November.

MAY 3 Took the car to the garage in town. Would you believe the thing is rusting out from that ****ing salt they put all over the road.

MAY 10 Moved to California. I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want to live in that God-forsaken city of Boston.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs0460a
Sorry, I don't understand * You received a note from a dead woman?*
His widow was using HIS computer so the email was from his address. *It was quite a shock to be expecting to read an email from someone you have talked with for a couple of years only to find out it was his wife sending out a message to all his friends to tell us about his sudden death. *
Old 03-31-2006, 03:26 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
AUG 12 Moved to our new home in Boston. It is so beautiful here. The rolling countryside is breathtaking. Can hardly wait to see the snow. I love it here.
If you change "Boston" to "Pittsburgh", and "California" to "Hawaii", you could have been posting from my diary...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 03:31 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Coincidental, this thread.

In the last week I learned that three old friends are trying to survive cancer of various sorts.

Once again, I am thinking about the unthinkable: ER'ing on an undersized pot of assets. I know how to do it now. Such a step would mean renegging on some family obligations. This is tough.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 05:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If anyone needs some extra encouragement to not put off retirement, I'm sitting here waiting for a phone call from my best friend from my college and early working days. He's supposed to have a doctor's appt today and get some idea if he's likely to be able to see the end of April.

About 50/51, competitive amateur bicycle racer, non-smoker, very fit except for the melanoma he's been fighting for the last 4 or 5 years. Doing not too bad up until a week or two ago, I got an email from him earlier in the week saying he now is barely able to get out of bed or walk.

Having lost a couple of other friends in the last 1.5 years in that 50-57 age group to cancer (with another one who is 57 and probably not able to plan on more than another 4-5 years) it is very clear to me that you've got no assurance of hitting that "I'll retire later" date, even ignoring the not uncommon fatal car accident etc.

Grab that carp before it gets away.

Sorry if that bummed anyone out.

Michael
extremely glad he got out last year at 52
Old 03-31-2006, 05:38 PM   #29

When I joined this forum last year I was concerned about my money lasting. Now I'm not concerned about that at all.

Whether you are able to retire or not, now (right now, today) is the best time to enjoy life.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #30

I get some amount of grief on the amount we spend on travel. But I have a chronic illness that doesn't make me look ill (unless you happen to be looking when I throw up or fall down or drop something or understand that when I'm not thinking clearly, it's more than just a senior moment). I feel completely groovy with spending $10-20k per year on travel. If I knew I wouldn't live out the year, I wouldn't need to change a thing about my life except to visit the kids and distant friends an extra time or two, and ask the hubster to take fall semester off. And I'd probably spring for that TiVo*
Old 04-01-2006, 01:02 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Poboy, I'm not sure what it is either, but a retired friend of mine from Buffalo, NY loves to tell a story that he thinks is hilarious...

When he left the w*rking world, he got rid of most of his stuff, packed his few remaining posessions in his car, tied something he called a "snow shovel" to the roof and started driving south. He said he would stop in small towns all along the way and walk around for a while tying to get a feel for where he would like to settle down. One day he pulled into some small burg, parked, got out and someone asked him, "What's that on the roof of your car"?
This is actually from the Odyssey. Odysseus finally gets home and kills the suitors who have been trying to take over his property. Then he has to make amends to mollify Poseidon, the sea god, who is really pissed off at him. His punishment is that he has to carry an oar so far inland that the residents think it's a paddle for winnowing grain, and build a temple to Poseidon there.

But I think it's funnier the way your friend told it ...
Old 04-01-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawny Dangle
This is actually from the Odyssey...
Gosh, my friend does look old, but I had no idea he dated back that far.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #33

This book will get your attention. At least, it did mine.

A snippet: QUOTE

I was told I had three months to live.

On May 24, 2005, Eugene O'Kelly stepped into his doctor's office with a full calendar and a lifetime of plans on his mind. Six days later he would resign as CEO of KPMG. His lifetime of plans dwindled to 100 days, leaving him just enough time to say goodbye.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 05:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
This book will get your attention. At least, it did mine.

A snippet: QUOTE

I was told I had three months to live.

On May 24, 2005, Eugene O'Kelly stepped into his doctor's office with a full calendar and a lifetime of plans on his mind. Six days later he would resign as CEO of KPMG. His lifetime of plans dwindled to 100 days, leaving him just enough time to say goodbye.

Looks like a good read! There are a lot of folks that still believe that they control their own destiny. Hopefully they will read this book, instead of wake up call like this.