Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Plan to die at age 80!
Old 04-13-2006, 11:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

My plan is to live well for as long as I can, and if I start to get alzheimers or something else that really affects my quality of living, I may just decide to become a heroin junkie at age 80 and overdose. I have seen both scenarios, a 90 year old with more vigor than a 40 year old, and a 70 year old in so much pain from cancer and other ailments that she chose to stop the chemo and just say goodbye. Who knows what the future will hold, but I hope that I never have to go to a retirement home. They are sad and depressing. It is not such a big deal if you are older and can't do all the physical activity of a younger man or woman. But when my mind goes.... then it is gonna be the end for me I hope.
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I also agree that you better enjoy all your physical activities while you can. OTOH, I have a 94 year old aunt who enjoyed working in her garden over the years. All tho she can't do that now, she has developed another hobby and that is reading. She reads one book after another and truely loves it! My sis-in-law goes to one garage sale after another just to keep her supplied with plenty of books. She has read more books in the last year than most have in a life time.

So the moral of the story is...... although your 80's and beyond may not be the activities you once enjoyed, there still can be some pleasurable things to do as we get older. I hope.*
Old 04-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Eagle, 1943 must have been a very good year. Our moms both gained a great deal of weight way back then.

My mother was 86 in October so she's about the same age as your mom.

Fortunately she is not in a nursing home. She still lives in the same house she was born in.
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:58 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Thinking of this thread, I mentioned to him that anything beyond age 80 is 'icing on the cake'. He told me that reaching age 80 is much harder than people think. He will be 74 this summer.

These people excercised daily, but still have to face the reality of life and the things that they have no control of.
Dude, do you need to go on another fishing vacation?

You're becoming an expert at noticing the negatives. Maybe it's time to accentuate the positives-- how many healthy people did you see today?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:40 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Dude, do you need to go on another fishing vacation?*

You're becoming an expert at noticing the negatives.* Maybe it's time to accentuate the positives-- how many healthy people did you see today?

You noticed too.

Oakland just finished a 3 game series with the Twins. They were remarking how nice the weather was in Minneanapolis, and was a shame they had to play in the Metrodome. (Roofed Ball-park).

So, it can't be the weather.

What's up Cutthroat? Tell your Uncle Jarhead all about it. (I promise to be gentle).

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 05:59 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
What's up Cutthroat?* Tell your Uncle Jarhead all about it.* (I promise to be gentle).
Jarhead, I wonder if maybe C-T's still in a funk after showing us the final result of his great basement project only to have people take shots at the track lighting.* Or could be he's just had another birthday and realizes his mustard cutting days are numbered.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Jarhead, I wonder if maybe C-T's still in a funk after showing us the final result of his great basement project only to have people take shots at the track lighting.* Or could be he's just had another birthday and realizes his mustard cutting days are numbered.

ReWahoo: Possibly.

But our friend Cut-Throats posts lately have begun to remind me of that character in "Lil Abner", that had no vowels in his name and was impossible to pronounce. A little black cloud followed him around wherever he went.

Oh well. Had our first day of no rain in a while yesterday, and got in some golf.
Forcast is no rain this AM, so I'm off in about an hour to see if I can squeeze some in before another onslaught. (Damn, this better let up soon, as I'm getting far too many eye-rolls from my wife).
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Nice reading these threads.

My ER is coming up fast, sold de house, will be out in 3 months and ready to move to chicken ranch.

Im afraid, but intellectually know I will make it LBYM.

As for health.* I really dont know, had health issues mental and physical since early 20's, got them under control, can job 4-5 miles per day, do excercise religiously, but cannot predict how long I will go.

Am 53 now and had a bad year due to things at work which just tired me out physically and mentally.* Thus ER looks good.

I can live 20 more days, or 20 more years with the ability to move about and do what I want.* I don't know what next day will bring. My Doc says Im ok physically but my bp goes up and down due to nerves, He knows I have to chill out some.

Not interested in skiing or climbing mountains, just like to walk or jog and look at interesting scenery, like to see different things, like to sit and sip cawfee and look at the young thangs walk by.

There is an old Yiddish saying"

"Man trahcht und G-d lahcht'"

Man Plans and the G-ds laugh.*

We really dont know, so best to ER when you think you can, and dont worry too much, we all end up in the same place, so have a good trip in the meantime.

There is too much micromanaging and too much fear on this board with people who have 3 times what I got, just do it!!!!

Most people do not regret ER and finally start to live, dont wait for that next 5% more in pension, you may not collect it.

jug

jug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:37 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

June Pointer of the Pointer Sisters died this week from cancer at age 52.

Enjoy your days now, whether you are 18 (Cambece you still around?) or 69 like Jarhead.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:58 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Like you said, CT, balance. All of you eating cheap pasta for dinner every night and saving your vacation days so you can retire six months earlier-twenty years from now-wake up!! Enjoy it now! Pick a realistic date for ER, a target net worth, make a plan to get there, get direct deposit going so you don't miss the money going into your retirement accounts, and live! It's a crap shoot.

My Grandma(step-mom's mom) is almost 80 and still plays tennis, bowls, hikes on a weekly basis. On the flip side, my mom is 62 this week, has been told she needs her other knee replaced as well, and has some unpronouncable disease with will cause painful fibroids in her muscles and requres some extensive pain medication and treatments. She ain't gonna die, but quality of life is shot for a while, maybe forever...
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
June Pointer of the Pointer Sisters died this week from cancer at age 52.
Ouch.

Got to meet them up close and personal during a charity dinner here in Tampa last year. They looked and sounded great, evoked great memories and had the place on its feet all night.

A sad loss, a reminder ... dust to dust.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But, I don't think you really know how to live, until you come to grips with your own mortality.
Well, I think I had a couple of those moments on active duty.

Because if they didn't count, then I'm really not looking forward to the next five or six decades...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #33

Quote:
But, I don't think you really know how to live, until you come to grips with your own mortality.
"die before your death" ~~ the prophet mohammed

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
"die before your death" ~~ the prophet mohammed
I'm not sure what that means, but if it involves 72 virgins, I'm game.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
I'm not sure what that means, but if it involves 72 virgins, I'm game.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What he said...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote