Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Irony - Back from Alaska today and it's Snowing in Minneapolis..................
Old 10-13-2006, 03:32 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Re: Irony - Back from Alaska today and it's Snowing in Minneapolis..................

Quote:
BTW, Martha wanted me to tell you that the colon scope I had was a piece of cake. And it was. Just the prep work sucked.
Quote:
Do we get pics of the colonoscopy too?
Quote:
The last time I got a colonoscopy they printed out 4 photos from the procedure and gave them to me. Of course I have no proof that the photos are actually the insides of my colon, but I kept them anyway. I was thinking of making prints and sending them out as Christmas presents.
My mother died of colon cancer and it wasn't until afterwards that we found out it is 100% preventable. Having these colonoscopies are vital.

I had my first one done in Mexico (for about $500 USD) - and they gave me a video to take home (!) as a baseline for any future doctor to view. Billy stuck it into the VCR at happy hour... ....

Then I had my 2nd one done in Thailand - and the 'prep' work was - I had to get up at 5 am, drink this stuff and be in the office at 8 am. I gave my doc the previous video -- he wasn't phased by it being so rare -- He gave me my 2nd video when we were all done...

Now I have two - uh - happy hour videos of the procedure. Billy wants to set it to the 2001 Space Odyssey music and pass the chips.. I, have, er... hid them!

The procedure in Thailand was about $500 USD also, and included an ambulance ride home!

I priced this in the states and the prices ran from $1,500 - $2,000 since it was preventative care and my plan didn't cover it....

I feel silly talking about this, but heck -- it's important for anyone's health..

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2006, 12:10 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
Now I have two - uh - happy hour videos of the procedure. Billy wants to set it to the 2001 Space Odyssey music and pass the chips.. I, have, er... hid them!
If you guys are still putting your important medical documents on the Internet, for all our sakes I hope those two are encrypted!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 01:39 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

My mother died of colon cancer and it wasn't until afterwards that we found out it is 100% preventable. Having these colonoscopies are vital.

I'm sorry to hear that. My mother also died of colon cancer. She trusted an inadequate health care system too much and it cost her her life. This experience is part of the reason why I have had two colonoscopies by age 51. They are vital. Drink the awful fluid, sit on your toilet for an evening, and get the procedure done. Then tell your friends and relatives to go get their own.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: Irony - Back from Alaska today and it's Snowing in Minneapolis..............
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Irony - Back from Alaska today and it's Snowing in Minneapolis..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
They are vital. Drink the awful fluid, sit on your toilet for an evening, and get the procedure done. Then tell your friends and relatives to go get their own.
You might want to ask your doctor to also take a look down your throat to your stomach since you'll already be prepped for it. They did that with my husband two years ago and it was very reassuring to know he had no stomach or throat problems.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
You might want to ask your doctor to also take a look down your throat to your stomach since you'll already be prepped for it. They did that with my husband two years ago and it was very reassuring to know he had no stomach or throat problems.
Before the anaesthesia takes effect, you'd probably want to check that they have two probes ready to go...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Before the anaesthesia takes effect, you'd probably want to check that they have two probes ready to go...
...although I suspect the only difference between the anal probe and the oral probe is the taste.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I have had two colonoscopies by age 51. They are vital. Drink the awful fluid, sit on your toilet for an evening, and get the procedure done. Then tell your friends and relatives to go get their own.
Quote:
Yeah, it's a little inconvenient, but worth the hassle.

Does anyone's insurance cover these proactive proceedures? Ours didn't and so I called around asking how much they cost so I knew what I had to shell out. The receptionists, bookkeepers, nurses, etc. all thought it was a novel question to be asking the price of these things. Hardly anyone wanted to commit to a figure. Of the 6 places I called at that time, the prices ran from $1,800 - $2,500 with no guarantees that it wouldn't be more. And that was only one probe!

Like I mentioned before, I had it done in two countries (Mexico & Thailand), on two separate occasions, for about $500 each time.

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 10-21-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, it's a little inconvenient, but worth the hassle.

Does anyone's insurance cover these proactive proceedures?
My BC/BS plan covers it but only because colon cancer runs in the family. By the way, for my last scope (about a month ago) I took some oral meds to clear the tubes - no anti-freeze solution. I guess it was preferable to the kool-aide but not by much.