Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
i think that we get so used to living according to someone else's schedule (and fitting in our hobbies) that we never learn how to live on our own schedule.
+20 !!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

The biggest problem early on is finding the correct and most useful way to serve others when your major service effort that you did did for maybe 40 years is now passed.

You have to figure out what the most salient features of your active working service life were, and then reach out to others who might need those services now for free.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeknit View Post
............... Weíve figured out how Iíll do financially if something happens to him so that isnít the problem. Iíve just seen a lot of really nice men be a bit dictatorial with their wives when most of the money is ďtheirsĒ.
We always kept our money "mine & yours" but we did it for tax reasons (we're Canadian). We disagreed about spending [/sarcasm on] occasionaly [/sarcasm off] but survived. When I'd had enough of mega-corp and finally ran the numbers, I told DW that we could spend all we wanted (within reason). Suuddenly she is the tightwad and I'm the spendthrift, go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
The biggest problem early on is finding the correct and most useful way to serve others when your major service effort that you did did for maybe 40 years is now passed.

You have to figure out what the most salient features of your active working service life were, and then reach out to others who might need those services now for free.
WADR, the services I provided others (mega-corp) with for ~40 years was done simply for $. Now I can help DD, DS &DIL with various projects (or not). I can help groups/clubs I belong to (or not). I can volunteer my time with community service groups (or not). I'm not here to serve others. If I want to, I will, but it's not required. Of course YMMV.

The best part of R is that your time is your own. No one (but maybe you) cares if you fritter it away. Getting used to that may be hard, but enjoying it should be easy.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau
Maybe this has worked for you, but I don't see that approach holding universal appeal.

Personally, while I plan on doing considerable volunteering in retirement, I don't want to keep performing the same sort of tasks as I do now. If I was keen on that, I'd simply keep working and at least earn some extra $.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting about service to others. During my working life I have always had additional volunteer work. I was the Corporate Director of a Non-profit Ballet Company (yeah weird but true) and for over 20 years worked as a volunteer ski patroller. I also served as a Boy Scout scoutmaster for a number of years before I had kids of my own and did a lot of other extraneous volunteer work such as organizing orienteering events, National Biathalon competitions, Triathalon race coordinator, downhill mountain biking judge, stuff like that. I also served as a Nordic skiing rescuer in the Virginia forests as a searcher for lost hikers/skiers. Strangely though in retirement I do nothing of this sort anymore. Partially as it doesn't exist here in Hungary and partially as I just don't have the time. I guess I miss it a bit but really for 40 years I did these other things and now just want to relax. Most of my time I spend cooking, gardening, hiking, mountain biking, playing my Xbox (Battlefield 3), and now I am getting a catamaran. Then there is travel which is off the table this year as my DW recovers from a tib/fib fracture. Not easy n your 60's. If I really had the time I would by an airplane and start flying again now that I have had my eyes fixed (cataracts). But, my DW says that isn't in our budget so sailing will have to be enough for now.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borschelrh View Post
I was the Corporate Director of a Non-profit Ballet Company (yeah weird but true) and for over 20 years worked as a volunteer ski patroller. I also served as a Boy Scout scoutmaster for a number of years before I had kids of my own and did a lot of other extraneous volunteer work such as organizing orienteering events, National Biathalon competitions, Triathalon race coordinator, downhill mountain biking judge, stuff like that. I also served as a Nordic skiing rescuer in the Virginia forests as a searcher for lost hikers/skiers. Strangely though in retirement I do nothing of this sort anymore. Partially as it doesn't exist here in Hungary
(Bolding mine) Huh?
Granted, I don't live in Hungary, but I did visit it few times and used to have a Magyar girlfriend before.
IMHO there is plenty of volunteer opportunities in Hungary (and even taking it further - most places on Earth)

Skiing is not great (really three places: Bukk, Matra & Pilis) and not always good snow coverage, but it does not mean there are no volunteer opportunities there.

Scouting movement is also there and similar like in US (but strangely not other countries) connected mostly with various churches (granted it's still tiny comparing to US, but it's been legal only since early 90ties I think).
IIRC Hungarian "cserkesz" (scouts) long time ago even used to own some boats on Balaton - I know they still have some permanent camps near Budapest.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, there is a local ski area not far from Veszprem at Epleny which is adequate and a lot like Massanutten where I volunteered before in Virginia. Time is a big issue for me though and I am awfully happy not having any commitments. It is hard enough to remember that Tuesday is trash day. I certainly don't wear a watch and more or less oblivious to the time any more not to mention day or even date. But, my next door neighbor's wife is marketing director for the Zanka youth camp Znka Children & Youth Centre and I could volunteer there during the summer. My issue with doing that is language as I only speak rudimentary Hungarian. My German is more or less functional and it get me by here as this is a tourist destination for Austrians and Germans. I am also a certified Level 2 AASI snowboarding instructor. I "could" get a job teaching snowboarding in the Winter but I am not eager to hold a job any more. It is a hard life I lead now

Tags
fears, relationship poswer, time management