Join Early Retirement Today

Nooks becoming real Android tablets
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nooks becoming real Android tablets

Barnes & Noble Nook HD and HD+ are getting the Google Play Store and other Google apps like GMail and YouTube, becoming real Android tablets. A wireless update will deliver this to current Nook owners. Barnes & Noble's Nook HD and Nook HD+ Get Google Play Store, Become Real Android Tablets - ABC News

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And the cool part is they just dropped the prices on the HD+ to $140-something for the 16gb and 179 for the 32gb. Target, walmart, bestbuy and B&N direct are selling at this price.

They're getting out of the hardware/tablet business and tried to sell the entire nook division to Microsoft, who curiously grew a brain and didn't buy the money loser.

But the good news is there is a whole hacking world behind the nooks. I've used a 7" nook tablet for almost a year now, hacked with the latest android release, for which I paid a whopping $80. My eyes needed something bigger though, so this 9" tab with a 1920x1080 res and a 1.5GHz dual core cpu fits the bill quite nicely for half its original price.

If you're not hacking inclined, you can download a microsd card image of the newest android, stick it in and boot it. If you're really not technically inclined at all, you can buy the microsd card with the software already on it.

Beautiful high def screen, nice form factor, no cameras or gps in it though, but my phone suffices for those needs nicely.

Staples is also clearancing all their nook accessories like cases and chargers...just a few bucks each although many of the stores are well picked over at this point.

Nice tab for the kids even with the stock nook ice cream sandwich and the play store, or for couch surfing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My bad, the hd+ has a 1920x1280 resolution, not 1080.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:12 AM   #4

The down-side of this:

Barnes & Noble NOOK app for PC and Mac discontinued - SlashGear
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:56 PM   #5

I couldn't stand it! Rushed out to Barnes & Noble and bought a Nook HD+. I have a Kindle Fire and it was too small for me to read easily. I think I will like the Nook much better. I do like the screen format for reading. Haven't figured out how to get the Android and Google apps to display yet. Shouldn't be too hard. It seems to be noticeably faster than the Fire. The covers were also on sale so I got one of those for it too. Total cost: $182.70 with tax.

So I guess I am not exactly in the "frugal" category?
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Google apps are up and running. First thing I did was download the Early-Retirement app so I could chat on the forum and the Kindle app so I could read the free books on retirement I got last week.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I couldn't stand it! Rushed out to Barnes & Noble and bought a Nook HD+. I have a Kindle Fire and it was too small for me to read easily. I think I will like the Nook much better. I do like the screen format for reading. Haven't figured out how to get the Android and Google apps to display yet. Shouldn't be too hard. It seems to be noticeably faster than the Fire. The covers were also on sale so I got one of those for it too. Total cost: $182.70 with tax.

So I guess I am not exactly in the "frugal" category?
Did you get the 16gb or the 32gb version?

omni
omni550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I bought a refurbished Kindle Fire a couple of weeks ago for $71 and then loaded the latest Android version on it (4.2.2) and it's like owning an entirely new tablet. I also have an older HP Touchpad and have also loaded the latest version of Android (4.2.2) on it and I love it too. There's a bunch of people out there that figure out how to load the latest Android versions on these older tablets and then post information on the web as well as create how-to youtube videos.

Apparently the same thing has been done with the Nook...here's a video showing the Nook with Android 4.2.2 on it.

DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Did you get the 16gb or the 32gb version?

omni
The 16gb. I guess I am just a little frugal.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I just picked up a Nook HD Plus for $150 at Wallyworld. I've been admiring DW's iPad, but I'm too cheap to buy one. I think with the Google Play app access, this is gonna work out nicely.

My confirmation bias excuse:

Does it still make sense to buy a Nook HD? | Marketplace Blog - CNET Reviews
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #11

I got a Nexus 7, which I guess Google brought out because the Kindle was such a success in the 7-inch space. Android 4.2.2 is great, especially "gesture typing", which I was convinced would never work, but doubles my typing speed and enables me to type when someone else is nearby without disturbing them with the jerky hand movements that hunt-and-peck implies on a touch screen keyboard. In fact I've barely used the Bluetooth physical keyboard that I bought, except that it makes an excellent snap-on hard-ish cover for the tablet.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I just picked up a Nook HD Plus for $150 at Wallyworld. I've been admiring DW's iPad, but I'm too cheap to buy one. I think with the Google Play app access, this is gonna work out nicely.

My confirmation bias excuse:

Does it still make sense to buy a Nook HD? | Marketplace Blog - CNET Reviews
I was a 'tablet holdout' until a couple of weeks ago when I also bit on the Google Play enhanced Nook HD+. After I had it for a week, DW decided she needed to upgrade her Kindle Fire and bought her own Nook HD+.

A lot of features for only $150...
Old 07-25-2013, 06:38 AM   #13

I like my Nook HD+, but it keeps crashing on me. Anyone else having this problem? I hear the answer is to get it replaced. I'm up in the mountains doing my Hermit thing, so it makes it harder to do things like that.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I like my Nook HD+, but it keeps crashing on me. Anyone else having this problem?
We've had ours only 2-3 weeks, but no problems at all.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I was a 'tablet holdout' until a couple of weeks ago when I also bit on the Google Play enhanced Nook HD+. After I had it for a week, DW decided she needed to upgrade her Kindle Fire and bought her own Nook HD+.

A lot of features for only $150...
Although I have had an IPad for the past 3 years (and probably the only American still using the original version), I succumbed to the temptation of a 7 inch tablet. I thought hard about the Nook, but went with an HP Slate 7 in. Mostly because of the price. Going through the credit card shopping mall, I gained another $30 off. A person can really save some extra money doing that with those cash back credit card "online shopping malls". I'm still made at myself because I forgot to do it with my trip I booked 2 days ago. Cost me almost $20 cash back dollars!!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Here is a Nook HD Plus for $130. I thought I stole mine at $150.

Nook HD+ 32GB 9" Full HD Tablet Deal of the Day | Groupon
Old 12-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Here is a Nook HD Plus for $130. I thought I stole mine at $150.

Nook HD+ 32GB 9" Full HD Tablet Deal of the Day | Groupon
So you did pay for yours. I wasn't sure.... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...der-68479.html
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
So you did pay for yours. I wasn't sure.... http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...der-68479.html
Yes, in the end, I finally got them to accept my money. Don't think that I wasn't temped to play dumb.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Although I have had an IPad for the past 3 years (and probably the only American still using the original version), I succumbed to the temptation of a 7 inch tablet.
Don't worry - sometimes I feel like the only American who has neither a tablet, cellphone or indeed any mobile device whatsoever.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Don't worry - sometimes I feel like the only American who has neither a tablet, cellphone or indeed any mobile device whatsoever.
If you ever go that route, you may also need a wireless router and they can cost as much as the Nook.