Join Early Retirement Today

Nords in the news
Old 06-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nords in the news

Ran across a photo of someone I recognized on the Austin-American Statesman online website (see below). Nice interview with Doug.

Retirement Tips for the Military | MoneyTips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nords.JPG (23.6 KB, 589 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I enjoyed reading Nords' posts back when he was active on this forum.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I thought his story about dealing with his father from across the ocean was also excellent.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:29 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent... Should be mandatory for everyone.
I guess the link has been available, but this was a first for me. Nords packed more into a half hour than most people learn throughout their planning years.
Not where to invest, or how to make money, but the attitude and the positive approach.
The part about what one learns in the military situation meant the most to me. Not just the discipline, but the belonging part. Tweaked memory of OCS at Benning. While not realizing it at the time, the lessons in working together, the importance of teamwork, and "forced" living near the edge, paid off in the working world. Not a full military career for me, but a never forgotten experience.

Taking the military career to the ultimate... surfing every day...

Some of us had to settle for body surfing and boogie boarding at Daytona.

But ... ain't retirement great! Great interview, Nords...
Old 06-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Administrator

Wow! I am SO impressed. I already knew that Nords was a talented writer and had a lot to say. What I didn't fully realize is how good his verbal presentations are, and how comfortable he is in front of a camera.

Well done, Nords.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What I didn't fully realize is how good his verbal presentations are, and how comfortable he is in front of a camera.
Yep, he does come across pretty well, especially for a swabbie.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

excellent video... simple concepts that go right to the heart of the issue
Old 06-06-2016, 04:16 PM   #8

Nords has done more than he even realizes in terms of helping out the military. I've never met the guy, but he's my FIRE mentor.

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I thought his story about dealing with his father from across the ocean was also excellent.
Agreed!!!
Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Ran across a photo of someone I recognized on the Austin-American Statesman online website (see below). Nice interview with Doug.

Retirement Tips for the Military | MoneyTips
Thanks for posting the link to the video.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for posting the link; I have already read the book but enjoyed the video and appreciate NORDS enthusiasm for life after the military!
Old 06-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #12

I read his book, I have no military background and I must have read / listened to dozens of financial / retirement presentations. Never the less I found Doug's interview most interesting.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:17 PM   #13

Really enjoyed Doug's presentation. I'm a fellow Navy retiree but didn't have the good sense to retire for good immediately after retiring from the Navy.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #14

Good job by Nords, our celebrity alumnus.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow! I am SO impressed. I already knew that Nords was a talented writer and had a lot to say. What I didn't fully realize is how good his verbal presentations are, and how comfortable he is in front of a camera.
Well done, Nords. :flowers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Excellent... Should be mandatory for everyone.
I guess the link has been available, but this was a first for me. Nords packed more into a half hour than most people learn throughout their planning years.
Some of us had to settle for body surfing and boogie boarding at Daytona.:(
But ... ain't retirement great! Great interview, Nords...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Nords has done more than he even realizes in terms of helping out the military. I've never met the guy, but he's my FIRE mentor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicRider View Post
Thanks for posting the link; I have already read the book but enjoyed the video and appreciate NORDS enthusiasm for life after the military!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Good job by Nords, our celebrity alumnus.
Thanks, everyone! I thought MoneyTips had only refreshed this link on their site. They must have added it onto a content farm or some sort of affiliate network. Now that I know this is on mainstream media websites then I need to do a lot more promotion!

The Navy trains its instructors with video, and I had eight years of that experience while I was in uniform. I'm comfortable in front of a crowd, and I've had plenty of practice answering financial questions.

Waaaay back at FinCon13, MoneyTips founder Michael Dubrow wanted volunteers for video interviews. I sneaked into the hospitality suite (along with a few 6-7-figure rock-star bloggers and financial advisors) and took my turn in the chair. (It was the morning of the first day, before I typically go hoarse and lose my voice.) Michael and I clicked because he's lived on Maui and he's a partner in a VC firm (along with MoneyTips). He's a professional videographer so he made us all look good on camera while handing out a lot of tips to the bloggers who do their own videos. I was totally at ease when I sat down to do my part.

They quietly posted it on their site in early 2014 and we all forgot about it. Until they refreshed the link a couple weeks ago.

This was all without a script, and one take (with editing). I hope I can do an interview that well again someday, but this one should certainly be good for a few years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Thanks, Keith. It's a conversation that nobody wants to have, yet all too many people share.

30 years ago my Dad was hit with this situation even worse by his father, and he swore that he'd never do it to us sons... until he did. My spouse and I are arranging our finances so that this Nordman bag-job tradition will stop at our generation.
Here's a search link to the posts about elder finances:
Search for "Alzheimer's" - Military Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIYes View Post
I enjoyed reading Nords' posts back when he was active on this forum.
I usually check in every weekend, searching for "Nords" and "military" keywords.

The time that I used to spend here now goes to working on the next book ("The Military Guide To Making Good Insurance Decisions") and answering reader questions by e-mail or on Facebook groups. Tag me in a thread, send me a PM, or e-mail me.

And, of course, now I'm subscribed to this thread so I'll get a notification on new posts.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

Thanks, Keith. It's a conversation that nobody wants to have, yet all too many people share.

30 years ago my Dad was hit with this situation even worse by his father, and he swore that he'd never do it to us sons... until he did. My spouse and I are arranging our finances so that this Nordman bag-job tradition will stop at our generation.
Here's a search link to the posts about elder finances:
Search for "Alzheimer's" - Military Guide
Very educational post Nords! Thanks.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Great interview with solid information and advice! Thanks for the link!
Old 06-13-2016, 12:34 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords - I saw it online and truly enjoyed listening to you ! Thanks much !!

Rich