Join Early Retirement Today

Not the retirement they were looking for ...
Old 06-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not the retirement they were looking for ...

Grandparents move from beach to diapers: 'Oh well' - Houston Chronicle

However, I don't see why they can't take the baby to Belize for a few years.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!

It does seem a bit dramatic. Sounds like she wanted to come home anyway, to be grandma. Sucks for the husband, though. We have a friend who just retired to Belize. Thank God he doesn't have any malingering children to ruin his retirement!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

And this is a surprise As a public school teacher I see this every day. Many students are being raised by grandparents because their parents can not or will not be parents. Alas, this is not unusual. And they often cost the taxpayers a small fortune to provide the extra services needed to help them overcome problems so they can learn.

The baby had marijuana in its system. Again, no surprise here. We deal with the educational after effects of drugs and babies for at least 12 years. And, of course, the taxpayers pay for it also.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

"Grandparents move from beach to diapers"

I thought, based on the headline, that it was about getting old and needing Depends prematurely.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The baby had marijuana in its system. ....
On the other hand, in recent news:

Quote:
Commonly used baby soaps and shampoos, including products from Johnson & Johnson, Aveeno and CVS, can trigger a positive result on newborns' marijuana screening tests, according to a recent study. A minute amount of the cleansing products in a urine sample — just 0.1 milliliters or less — was found to cause a positive result.
Baby soaps and shampoos trigger positive marijuana tests - Yahoo! News

I wonder if the babies were incredibly laid back.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
The baby had marijuana in its system.
Every parent that read this is thinking "Crap, I wish we'd tried that!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I very much admire the grandparents. The grandson is incredibly lucky to have them in his life. If I were in that circumstance, I would probably do the same thing.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

Possibly a requirement of the custody agreement....maybe one or both parents have visitation rights? Or perhaps it is finances, plain & simple.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

"I feel bad for Jonathon," Patricia said. "He's going to miss out on a lot. At 79, Michael's not going to be able to go camping."

These tossed-off stereotypes always irritate me a bit.

A. Unless Michael's in terrible health now, I feel this is an overly negative statement. Plenty of people in their 80's go camping. They just aren't hiking the Appalachian Trail end-to-end with nothing but a backpack, but then few younger people are into that sort of thing, either.
B. My parents never took me camping, and I turned out OK.
C. This baby is extremely lucky he has good grandparents to fall back on. Nobody needs to "feel bad" for him.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:52 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Every parent that read this is thinking "Crap, I wish we'd tried that!"
Exactly. Followed by " Now I have to make sure my kids don't pull this one on me"
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #11

Good for them for stepping up and doing the right thing. Hopefully the child will grow up in a safe and loving environment and become a productive citizen. I know of folks my age doing pretty much the same thing for the sake of their grandchildrens' well being.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Maybe a few reality shows on what it is really like to give birth and raise a child would curb people having babies who have no business being parents. 'course if they're doing drugs, they would be too doped up to absorb anything from the show.

On the other hand, I have nieces who are responsible, contributing adults, yet still take advantage of their 65 yr old mother for continual babysitting favors. Needless to say, my sister is exhausted, but doesn't know how to say "no". I suppose when her back finally gives out, they will get the picture and my sister will have what she feels would be a good excuse for saying no.

I guess this irritates me because my DH and I had no help whatsoever. Was it difficult? You bet. Would we have appreciated more help? Absolutely. Did we expect our parents to raise our children? The thought never even crossed our minds. We had 'em. We raised 'em.
RitaR551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #13

For all those that thought having children, that would be there for them in their old age. Hows that working?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:28 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
For all those that thought having children, that would be there for them in their old age. Hows that working?
Seems to me Nord's father has someone to look out for him in his time of need. Same for my mother, and DW's mother back then. You don't always reap what you sow, but you never reap what you don't sow.

We didn't have children so they'd look after us and hopefully they won't have us as a burden, but I'd like to think that if we needs this type of care we will have the support of our kids as well.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I doubt people posting or reading here had children so they would have someone to care for them in their old age. If so, that's a sad reason to bring a child into the world.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My grandma used to say :" (some people) have children because they won't let them have dogs"
Old 06-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Exactly. Followed by "Now I have to make sure my kids don't pull this one on me"
1. How would I know?
2. Why would I object?

Serious question. I pay my Dad's pharmacy bills, and almost every month there's 30-60 Vicodin and muscle relaxants on there. It's intended "as necessary" and he is coping with multiple myeloma, but I'm sure that the average care facility staff find it quite convenient to push the "necessary" on their charges to keep them mellow and cooperative.

If I was dealing with what my Dad is dealing with, I'd be self-medicating with THC extract all day long...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 06-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Serious question. I pay my Dad's pharmacy bills, and almost every month there's 30-60 Vicodin and muscle relaxants on there. It's intended "as necessary" and he is coping with multiple myeloma, but I'm sure that the average care facility staff find it quite convenient to push the "necessary" on their charges to keep them mellow and cooperative.
My first thought was whether someone might be taking advantage of the large number of doses for the purpose of diverting to other "markets". But, see also my tag line.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My first thought was whether someone might be taking advantage of the large number of doses for the purpose of diverting to other "markets". But, see also my tag line.
Yep. The patient won't remember and the family will never know.

I can't tell you whether Vicodin is cheaper than THC, but I'm pretty sure THC has fewer side effects.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. The patient won't remember and the family will never know.

I can't tell you whether Vicodin is cheaper than THC, but I'm pretty sure THC has fewer side effects.
At least in CA, it's probably easier to get a script for THC (via medical MJ) than for Vicodin. Street prices for "pills" (primarily of the oxy variety) have sky rocketed of late because the gummint is closing down "pill mills". Suddenly, your dad's pills could probably pay for his care. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote