Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Want to have some friends, find a guy, play bingo...whatever...and 30 year olds just do not normally want to hang with 60 year olds. Reasoning for going geezer patrol..
Well, how many friends your age do you really need or want? I know some extroverts might need a huge number of friends but, really, most people only enjoy spending time with those like minded close friends and those are usually few in number.

So if you're single and looking for single men then I would focus on the cities that are compatible to your lifestyle, politics, and culture and activities. Then zero in on your research. Look up singles groups. You could even email someone in the group. If you like the outdoors, hiking, mountains, I'd recommend Denver. There are lots of single men and lots of social activities to get involved in.

The problem is that there are lots more single men than women at our age. Also, it takes some effort, ok LOTS of effort, to get out there and meet them. So I understand your reasoning in wanting to live somewhere there are lots of people your age. Good luck!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM   #62

OldBabe, I think you meant there are lots of women compared to men our age, didn't you (kinda bass ackwards).
Yeah...I am an extreme extrovert who likes solitary activities, too.
Good ideas from you, thanks.
Guess I will just have to find a guy by acting my usual noncommittal "I don't care if you want me or not" attitude....seems to attract them more...ha!ha!
(Pssst...don't tell anyone my strategy...)

Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM   #63

Yeah, that is what I meant,although if you go to Alaska, I hear the ratio is more single men than women. But, as they say up there, the odds are good but the goods are odd.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:15 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

[quote=Orchidflower;568965]OldBabe, I think you meant there are lots of women compared to men our age, didn't you (kinda bass ackwards).
uote]

Yes at our age there are more women than men but if you are open minded you'll meet someone .
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The "geezers" live just outside the major metropolitan areas in Texas. Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio etc. all have many retirement communities in scenic areas within 50 miles. The "geezers" just like to get out of the major areas a little bit FOR GOOD REASON. If you visit the smaller "nice" towns of Texas, you'll find loads of folks who have retired from the major metropolitan areas.

Audrey
Old 10-25-2007, 12:45 PM   #66

I second audreyh1's opinion. I just did a study of DFW, Austin and Houston myself for where the geezers are moving to. Right on...they are moving out for the lower taxes, cheaper housing and where the lakes and golf courses are; although, I did not find so many in the Houston area as the other cities, tho, but I confess to not looking very hard there (22 years was enough of the humidity for me!).
Old 10-25-2007, 04:53 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right on...they are moving out for the lower taxes, cheaper housing and where the lakes and golf courses are;
Not to mention lower crime rates, significantly less traffic, more easy going pace of life - people actually stop to talk to each other (shock!).

The list of benefits goes on and on.

Audrey
Old 10-25-2007, 05:42 PM   #68

Now the only problem I see with Austin is cedar fever...which, I understand, has killed a few people. Man! that must be some allergy!!!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 05:51 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now the only problem I see with Austin is cedar fever...which, I understand, has killed a few people. Man! that must be some allergy!!!!!
I'm not sure it's actually killed anyone, but I have seen some cedar fever victims who appeared to wish they were dead...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
[30 year Austinite - but got out of there as soon as I could after ER - nice city, but it's way too big and crowded!]

My husband gets everything EXCEPT cedar fever. It's all over Texas. Way up in the panhandle in Palo Duro Canyon, the cedars (ash juniper) were extremely loaded with pollen, just waiting for the right cool fall day to explode. Yes, those trees literally explode their pollen. I remember a cedar choked hillside from my Austin office at the edge of the hill country, and watching one fall day as one tree after another exploded into giant puffs of yellow "smoke". Just amazing.

But not everyone develops the allergy, although plenty do. For DH it's more ragweed (bad, but over much of US), and spring tree pollen.

Audrey
Old 10-25-2007, 09:49 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
[30 year Austinite - but got out of there as soon as I could after ER - nice city, but it's way too big and crowded!]

My husband gets everything EXCEPT cedar fever. It's all over Texas. Way up in the panhandle in Palo Duro Canyon, the cedars (ash juniper) were extremely loaded with pollen, just waiting for the right cool fall day to explode. Yes, those trees literally explode their pollen. I remember a cedar choked hillside from my Austin office at the edge of the hill country, and watching one fall day as one tree after another exploded into giant puffs of yellow "smoke". Just amazing.
Knock on wood, but last year was my first living in the Hill Country (about 60 miles northwest of Austin), and it didn't bug me in the least. I don't think it affected my wife, either.

Now that I say that I'm going to get it bad this year, just watch...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Knock on wood, but last year was my first living in the Hill Country (about 60 miles northwest of Austin), and it didn't bug me in the least. I don't think it affected my wife, either.

Now that I say that I'm going to get it bad this year, just watch...
Ya never know when your number might come up and you develop a severe allergy to the stuff. Some people never do, some go for years with no problem, then get bushwhacked by it.

For those of you who may not be familiar with the winter pollinating ash juniper (mountain cedar), here's an introduction:

"...cedar fever is not just any allergy. It's a scourge, a plague that smites the just and the unjust who have the misfortune to live anywhere in a broad strip of Central Texas that stretches from the Red River to the Rio Grande. The progenitor of all this misery is a medium-sized, frankly undistinguished tree with sinewy limbs covered in shaggy bark that vaguely resembles orangutan fur. Despite its common name, the mountain cedar is actually a juniper (Juniperus ashei). Every year around December, we blunder into the midst of the cedar's mating ritual. It begins with the appearance of the male cones--embarrassingly small, amber-colored structures no larger than a grain of rice. In good years (or bad, depending on your viewpoint) they blanket the tops of the trees, turning them an aggressive tawny orange. When the wind rises, great gritty clouds of the pollen drift aloft, making the woods look like they are aflame. This airborne milt can waft for miles until it runs into something sticky, like the small green cone of the female tree or the inside of your nose.

Once cedar pollen gets into your system, its evil nature is revealed. Compared with it, ragweed is a wimp. The key is the biochemical structure of cedar pollen's protein coat, which appears to have properties that make it unusually noxious. Then there's the sheer quantity of the grains. In a rainy year the trees produce tons, and the pollen count, the Richter scale of allergy, goes through the roof."

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:22 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

rainy years, huh? No wonder the cedars are so loaded right now. I don't think I've ever seen them look quite as orange as they do right now.

I have been told that it usually takes several years to develop an allergy. Knock on wood, but DH being a native Texan, and myself having lived in TX > 30 years, we haven't developed it so I'm guessing we're the lucky ones. Double knock on wood!

Audrey
Old 10-26-2007, 04:27 AM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community. In fact, I might retire to a small college town. I like the youth aspect along with lots of entertainment associated with a college. I love going to college sporting events and there are cultural activities associated with a nearby University. And you do have people your age there as more retirees are doing the same thing.

Of course nice golf courses are a must.
Dawg
I just bought a house in Tennessee for cheap property taxes but they do have higher sales tax and investment
income is taxed. The Knoxville area has several golf communities and the Tenn river for boating. Moderate climate which I hope save some of the aircon cost as my father is on oxygen and keeps the place cold.
They say housing is still going ok and several people moving in. I'll probably spend summers there looking after the folks and the rest of the year traveling in other countries like Costa Rica, Equador and any other places that eligible ex-wives are in abundance. I am a bit burnt out on the SE Asian sceen and sold my house before I really ever lived in it. The place is flooded with euro trashand asians with a bad attitude .

Housing prices are really cheap compared to many places for what you get.

Tellico Village - Where Friends Become Family

Tellico Village Property Owners Association

http://www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...mmunities.html

http://www.vacationeasttennessee.org...rochureweb.pdf

Tennessee Real Estate, Tennessee Homes for Sale, MLS Listings
Old 10-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
In a rainy year the trees produce tons, and the pollen count, the Richter scale of allergy, goes through the roof."
This is what I'm afraid of. I suspect last year's drought may have resulted in a unusually mild year for the stuff. This year, with all the rain we've had -- 30 miles from here, they had 19 inches overnight in one night in June -- who knows? I know the pecan trees in the back yard are going nuts (unlike last year), I've had to mow the back forty a gazillion times this year, and the bugs (mostly grasshoppers and crickets) have been horrendous this year.

Perhaps this will be the next shoe to drop.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Yep and 11 months out of the year aircon season in Florida.
The parents had their better condition years in Florida so now
time to get to a better area for more inside living that they do now. The cooler nights and four season will be more enjoyable
from indoors.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:04 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
Yep and 11 months out of the year aircon season in Florida...The parents had their better condition years in Florida so now
time to get to a better area for more inside living that they do now.
Julian calendar ?

We use our AC liberally. Generally runs about 5-6 months of the year.

But the oak pollen in the spring is a big-time allergen for some. The stuff just falls from the beautiful Live Oaks by the bucket.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:45 AM   #78
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Julian calendar ?

We use our AC liberally. Generally runs about 5-6 months of the year.

But the oak pollen in the spring is a big-time allergen for some. The stuff just falls from the beautiful Live Oaks by the bucket.
I don't know if it was the huge live oak in my front yard, or mold, or what, but when I lived in College Station (Central Texas) I had awful allergies! They began my second year there and I was miserable. (Probably I am using the term "allergy" for what a doctor might call a "sensitivity", since I never had anything diagnosed). I have no idea whether or not the mountain cedar is common there.

When I moved to Louisiana, I expected to have a similar reaction but after many years here, I have had none and remain allergy free. Much of New Orleans is very moldy since the Katrina disaster, but surpringly, it only bothers me when we drive through the devastated areas. When I get home, I am fine.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:55 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Want2retire
Must of been bad in Texas to make you move to the swamp.
Hope your not sitting below the lake in N.O.
I always imagined the place like living on a river with a raft.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:25 AM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
Want2retire
Must of been bad in Texas to make you move to the swamp.
Hope your not sitting below the lake in N.O.
I always imagined the place like living on a river with a raft.
:confused: I don't know where you got that idea. I liked Texas and Texans are the salt of the earth; great people, and a huge state with low housing prices and lots of room.

I moved to New Orleans because this is where the job was, though I don't think people should have to justify living in the city that my father told me was the "Crown Jewel of the South" when I was a little girl. When I arrived here to report to work, I found that pre-Katrina New Orleans was an amazing place, with history extending back hundreds of years, outstanding original historic architecture, food, music, art, and its own unique Cajun/Creole blend of culture. It had some serious problems too, such as crime and corruption, but it was hardly like "living on a river with a raft". Nor is it like living in the bayou country south of Lafayette or Morgan City.

Unfortunately, much of New Orleans has been destroyed. It is heartbreaking to us. Time for me to move on.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote