Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

I lived in Tx a couple times before El-Taco ( Paso).
I was more thinking on the N.O. situation of everyone knowing since the 1950's that the lake would some day make N.O. a swamp. Yes I could agree Bourbon street and few others may of
been nice to party but for the most part it was high crime and unemployment area. I could never imagine more than a vaction there. I've been and lived in worse because of work myself.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
I was more thinking on the N.O. situation of everyone knowing since the 1950's that the lake would some day make N.O. a swamp. Yes I could agree Bourbon street and few others may of
been nice to party but for the most part it was high crime and unemployment area. I could never imagine more than a vaction there. I've been and lived in worse because of work myself.
A lot of popular tourist destinations are like that, not only in the U.S. but also some of the major cities in Europe.

When a city has a huge dependence on tourism, a disproportionate chunk of their law enforcement budget goes to patrolling the (usually small) touristed areas of the city, be it New Orleans, Las Vegas or even a place like Rome. They know that if there's a lot of crime in the touristy areas, the tourism gravy train might derail.

That often means inadequate law enforcement outside the touristy areas, and a breeding ground for crime.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:50 AM   #83
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcv56 View Post
I'm sorry that you were not able to become even slightly familiar with New Orleans as it was. At least that is all I can conclude from your posts. As a long time resident, I must admit that I don't know much about the tourist traps like the bars on Bourbon Street, except that they are still there and open for business if that is how you get your kicks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah I guess better than the sand box over here.
Little if any crime other than very extreme stuff but not many
go away from where they work and live unless we leave country.
Europe 6 hours and asia 6 hours, in between h*ll.
UAE is a somewhat decent place for winters.

Never been in Louisana, not sure how to spell it either! Had friends from
there that I worked with in Europe and here. None seem to be planning
on returning to live there mainly because of low pay.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I'm sorry that you were not able to become even slightly familiar with New Orleans as it was. At least that is all I can conclude from your posts. As a long time resident, I must admit that I don't know much about the tourist traps like the bars on Bourbon Street, except that they are still there and open for business if that is how you get your kicks.
Indeed.

And for Jazz Fest 2008 we have Van Morrison, Doctor John, Steelie Dan, Bryan Lee, Richie Havens, Bonnie Rait and a zillion other big names. But even better, the "small names" are world class. Who knows - we may even see our very own Janet H some time .

We own a time-share on Tchoupitoulas for Jazz fest week. Golden moment was taking a beer break at the fairgrounds in a near-empty venue. Guy with an acoustic guitar eases on to the stage, adjusts his mike. After a quick glance at what I thought was a sound check by a stage hand, this guy starts making music. Turns out it was Keb Mo before he became well known (one of my favorite contemporary blues vocalists).

Anyhow, a bit off topic, but the NOLA memories are flowing. Great city, hope it roars back some day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:03 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

I liked the movie with travolta, scarlet and other guy.
Guess that doesn't count for anything.