Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community. In fact, I might retire to a small college town. I like the youth aspect along with lots of entertainment associated with a college. I love going to college sporting events and there are cultural activities associated with a nearby University. And you do have people your age there as more retirees are doing the same thing.

Of course nice golf courses are a must.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Texas is basically NEW in Houston and Dallas. Gosh, if a building was 30 years old in Houston, they start thinking about ripping it down.
Way too true. Below was a very sad event:

New owners won't discuss plans for the razed double lot | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Think starbucks ,martinis and yoga !
Sounds very interesting!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Want to have some friends, find a guy, play bingo...whatever...and 30 year olds just do not normally want to hang with 60 year olds.
I see a fair number of 50-ish women with guys who look to be the right age for a son, but unless we are in a D.H. Lawrence novel they are definitely not sons.

These women usually appear to be clothes and body conscious, hair colored and styled well, and all around sexy looking.

Still, I get your preference for people at least in your own generation. An older lover is more apt to be a realistic lover. Not a gimme, but at least a chance.

Quote:
If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community.
Me neither! I definitely want to be the oldest person on the block. I am happy where I am; only cost or SAD would drive me out. And I think I will get one of those high intensity lights to help keep chipper when the sky socks in for 2 or 3 months running.

Unfortunately, too many older people around the central city area are sleeping in doorways. I have sure learned something about grit from observing and talking to these people. You would be amazed at how many of them are very articulate, and at some of the bad-luck pathways that put them onto the cold ground.

Ha
Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community. In fact, I might retire to a small college town. I like the youth aspect along with lots of entertainment associated with a college. I love going to college sporting events and there are cultural activities associated with a nearby University. And you do have people your age there as more retirees are doing the same thing.

Of course nice golf courses are a must.
Then the place for you if you ever considered Florida would be Gainesville home of the Gators and in Florida golf courses are everywhere .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:30 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ziggy29, what county are you in if you do not mind saying. I am now doing some homework on the outlying counties around the DFW and Austin areas. You are right about older folks moving there. Too bad for me. I love innercity life with a Starbucks on every other corner...oh well...I must be in the minority.
We're out in Llano County. Definitely not city life here. And personally that's the way we like it. Different strokes and all.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:32 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
This is my hope for the future. I'm in a mid-80s sub-d of modest homes by today's standards. But, I'm close-in compared to all the new homes, with a larger-than-postage-stamp yard. Maybe I can sell my house for a nice premium teardown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I see a fair number of 50-ish women with guys who look to be the right age for a son, but unless we are in a D.H. Lawrence novel they are definitely not sons.

These women usually appear to be clothes and body conscious, hair colored and styled well, and all around sexy looking.
I take it they're not looking for "old, fat, and drunk"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I take it they're not looking for "old, fat, and drunk"...
They could be in the market for a new sugar daddy, though!
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moemg, my good friend I email says "Sarasota" all the time to me. I say "price, price, price of that location, location, location!" Damn! but it IS pricey!!!! It must be mecca!
haha, you are speaking of a Cougar (older women who dates younger men). Been there. Done that. Thru with it.
Ziggy29, just did homework on Llano County, Texas. Lots of geezers.

By the way, the Wall St. Journal has a big article today on some huge condo being built in Houston next to small cottage homes. The lack of zoning there is giving some fits. Ahhh...Houston...home of the true big thinking entrepreneur!
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Orchidflower,

Sarasota is one of those areas of Florida that had a hugh price run up and is now seeing a significant reversal. There are also immediate surrouding areas which are less pricey, but offer many similar amenities (Manatee and southern Sarasota counties)
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
By the way, the Wall St. Journal has a big article today on some huge condo being built in Houston next to small cottage homes. The lack of zoning there is giving some fits. Ahhh...Houston...home of the true big thinking entrepreneur!
Houston is an enigma in that respect. Almost any decent neighborhood in the city limits is deed-restricted.

Few people like having an HOA telling them what they can and can't do with their homes, but in Houston they are mostly seen as a necessary evil. Because there's no zoning, there's practically nothing to stop a neighbor from converting their home into a noisy, high-traffic business without deed restrictions in the subdivision. The key is to find a subdivision with reasonable but not excessive deed restrictions. Or as more of the well-to-do prefer, especially those with school-aged kids, live out of the city proper (and in a different school district).
Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Venice Florida! A Paradise on the Gulf of Mexico, Venice Florida Home Page

Orchid Flower ,
Here is the perfect location below Sarasota ! Less expensive and home to many older singles ( think active ,healthy and financially sound ) !
Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Then the place for you if you ever considered Florida would be Gainesville home of the Gators and in Florida golf courses are everywhere .
I'm a Miss State grad. If I do the small college town thing it will be there. I use Florida for vacations.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I've heard some good things about Venice. It was on someone's top places to retire recently. I also heard a joke about Venice. To wit: "All the old retired folks live in Sarasota and their parents live in Venice."

According to Zipskinny (a cool site that gives you census demographics by zip code), the median age in Venice (based on 2000 census) is 67.9. In Sarasota, it is 59.2.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomz View Post
I've heard some good things about Venice. It was on someone's top places to retire recently. I also heard a joke about Venice. To wit: "All the old retired folks live in Sarasota and their parents live in Venice."

According to Zipskinny (a cool site that gives you census demographics by zip code), the median age in Venice (based on 2000 census) is 67.9. In Sarasota, it is 59.2.
To me, that is too old. Sure, I want to have friends in my own generation, but it's not like younger people are lepers or something.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 06:13 PM   #35

Thanks for the help, folks. I, too, have read good things about Venice.
Hard finding just the right place isn't it? Don't want too many little kids or too many old and feeble, don't want too hot or cold, don't want all married when you are single, blah, blah, blah. I feel like getting an RV, living in it, travel around...and call it a day sometimes. This has become like a second job for me (finding the right place, that is). I thought it would be easier to do than it has become. Is this what they mean by: Old age isn't for sissies? And I am not even that old...
Old 10-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the help, folks. I, too, have read good things about Venice.
Hard finding just the right place isn't it? Don't want too many little kids or too many old and feeble, don't want too hot or cold, don't want all married when you are single, blah, blah, blah. I feel like getting an RV, living in it, travel around...and call it a day sometimes. This has become like a second job for me (finding the right place, that is). I thought it would be easier to do than it has become. Is this what they mean by: Old age isn't for sissies? And I am not even that old...
Orchidflower, here's something else to confuse the issue. I really believe that there are quite a few places that would be just perfect for you, or for me (though they may not be the same places!)

There are probably great things about some places that we never thought to look for because we never thought we would value these attributes. I moved to New Orleans for the job, and never realized that I would love it so much (well I did until Katrina, that is). The European flavor of the city, the architecture, art, and culture down here were attributes that surprised me, nicely, and got into my heart.

I don't think it is a good place for an older person these days, but it isn't the only place I can treasure.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #37

My biological father lived many years in Naw'Lins, so I know that area. How much did I love that city? Well, I was planning to move there for a few years when I got out of here (thru eldercaring). @#$%^&* NOW there is no N.O. to go back to hardly...unless you are into toxic fumes.
The food, the architecture, the attitude...just live in a low crime area is what you would have to watch. But what a city! It is such a pity, but, I am afraid, it is gone forever. I know, I know...I am the prophet of doom and gloom, but I am thinking with my left brain now and don't see it possible to rebuild much. I, personally, don't have the guts to stay where the levees won't hold the entire French Quarter and it might soon go all down the drain for good. (I would have lived in the CBD, probably, tho)
I LOVED New Orleans, and am so thankful I got to live there for a few months once.

But, I DO get your point about the feel, the atmosphere of a city that can't or isn't put in any of the statistics you read. That is a right brain function after I narrow the left brain facts down..haha!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:26 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My biological father lived many years in Naw'Lins, so I know that area. How much did I love that city? Well, I was planning to move there for a few years when I got out of here (thru eldercaring). @#$%^&* NOW there is no N.O. to go back to hardly...unless you are into toxic fumes.
The food, the architecture, the attitude...just live in a low crime area is what you would have to watch. But what a city! It is such a pity, but, I am afraid, it is gone forever. I know, I know...I am the prophet of doom and gloom, but I am thinking with my left brain now and don't see it possible to rebuild much. I, personally, don't have the guts to stay where the levees won't hold the entire French Quarter and it might soon go all down the drain for good. (I would have lived in the CBD, probably, tho)
I LOVED New Orleans, and am so thankful I got to live there for a few months once.

But, I DO get your point about the feel, the atmosphere of a city that can't or isn't put in any of the statistics you read. That is a right brain function after I narrow the left brain facts down..haha!
LOL!! Same here. I think the FQ is probably not going to be washed away, but it is a better place to visit than to live in for a number of reasons. The rest of the city seems very unsafe from flooding, moreso than before Katrina, and crime and corruption are even further out of bounds. The mold and toxicity can't be healthy, and the death rate is way higher than before. Although previously I had planned to live my life here and to take my last dying breath here, now I would prefer living someplace that seems safer, like Springfield, as I age.

Before I moved here I was hoping to find work in Houston. I am so glad that I didn't. I had no idea that the type of charm that New Orleans had to offer (then) even existed. How lucky I was to have had the opportunity to live here for so many years before the storm! I forgot to mention the history that surrounds one here - - the area is just totally steeped in history and more four dimensional than many places in that respect. And the history here is fascinating, not just textbook battles and such. Who knew that would be a plus? I was never that crazy about history in school.

I know that these attributes (European charm, culture, history, architecture) are probably not going to be part of my life in Springfield. Maybe there will be other attractive facets of life there that I haven't yet thought about, though.

Some qualities are hard to quantify, like natural beauty (which is a Big Deal to me and could make all the difference in my satisfaction with where I choose to live). The Ozarks are beautiful, but are they beautiful enough for me? Guess I will find out.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 AM   #39
Gone but not forgotten

Are there certain areas were you already have friends ? This usually makes re-location easier .
Old 10-18-2007, 08:53 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are there certain areas were you already have friends ? This usually makes re-location easier .
Nope! Like many people, I have lived all over the country in 7-8 states. Most of those where I might still know someone, are too expensive to consider (and really, I have not kept in touch very well). My dear friend Frank plans to move to Missouri with me, and we will set up separate homes there. So, I will know someone.

In a way, this gives me a huge degree of freedom to choose based on other factors more related to what kind of place I would like to call home, rather than who lives there.