NOW I see why retirees move to Florida!

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been looking and looking for three years now on the computer at various places to live. Since I have no family, and the son could end up anywhere (particularly if he becomes a JAG/military attorney), I can go anywhere I want to.
However, I am limiting it to where my dollar goes further and I get the most bang for the buck as they say. So, that means places like Florida or Texas mostly, I guess. Washington would be wonderful, but boy! high COL there.
But, to my point: I now see why so many retirees and boomers head to Florida. Many places in the Texas metros look wonderful. Alot of growth, cheap housing, no tax on my interest/dividends, homesteading, etc. etc. etc.
BUT a very young population in all major metros (not even considering San Antonio) like Houston, DFW and Austin. Where are the over 65 people? Not there yet, but still...
Oh, I know that Austin is "supposed" to gain the most boomers in number by 2020; but the Census Bureau also predicted that Nevada would get the most seniors coming in and Nevada would the the #1 State right now for in-migration for that age group. NOT. High crime, lack of water, high housing prices, etc. has turned off that spigot. So much for the Census Bureau's predictions of a few years ago as that boom has stopped. I know we have all read where Texas is the #2 State for in-migration for seniors now with Florida still #1.
Since I am having a hard time finding a metro area in Texas with a larger over 60 population (at least, 13% or more, which is not asking alot), I am actually thinking of Florida myself.
Now I see why retirees just head to Florida. At least, you would have some company in your own age group.
(My study last night of every single city and town in Denton County, Texas, in the DFW region and predicted to have the most growth to 2020 has ONE small, small town with 13% over 65 there! Pathetic! This is out of 31 cities and towns in that county!)

Have a look at the Brownsville area of Texas. Also South Padre island. Also remember that snowbirds don't show up in population statistics.

Have you any personal knowledge of Brownsville? Having been in Texas 22 years, I have heard some pretty negative things about living on the border for years. Call me a sissy.

Should have included an actual quote from a Florida geezer:

Grandpa: Are we there yet?
Homer: No
Grandpa: ........Where are we going?

Florida takes its share of joking about blue haired drivers and all the rest. And the catastrophic hurricane thing is real, if infrequent and unlikely in any one place. Certain areas of the state are overcrowded, unsafe, and very unappealing to me.

But those things have their counterparts almost everywhere, and Florida really can be a beautiful place to live. I don't know whether we will stay here forever (depends on kids' migrations to some extent) but we really enjoy the coastal recreation, the spectacular weather 8 months a year, the diversity, activity and lots of other things.

I think the trick is to know your priorities well and choose a location that fits. Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa Bay, Sarasota, St. Augustine are among the places that have a lot to offer for retirees.

I don't understand your reasoning. While a metro area may be less than 13% old geezer, that does not mean that the old geezers don't co-habitate in central areas. The Del Web developments are a case in point. Over 50 or 55 to live there, catered activities to the 'older set'. Yet, say Houston, Zoo, Ballet, Symphony, four pro sports teams, and other major metro activities. I would guess other areas are the same.

We had three tours of duty in Florida. For sure one positive is that because of the number of retirees the state appeared to cater to this voting block. In one location the Base Commissary wanted to stop selling baby food to free up more space for snack food that the retirees were asking for.

My brother moved to SE Florida a few years back, and didn't like being "lumped" in with the huge number of other people with white hair. There are a lot of them and from what he said apparently they drive slowly and get in the way in stores, and so on. He has since left, for other reasons.

I would like to be in a community that was mostly older people. But I have crossed all locations within 200 miles of the Gulf of Mexico or Atlantic shores off my list, due to hurricanes. (Yes, other states have natural disasters but after all we have been through down here, I'd rather be located farther from the Gulf.) Also, I have heard that Florida taxes investment income too.

Want to have some friends, find a guy, play bingo...whatever...and 30 year olds just do not normally want to hang with 60 year olds. Reasoning for going geezer patrol.
However, do not want to ever live with all white headed old peeps. I am one now. That crap gets old.
An amazing number of areas filled with geezers, the Memorial area inside Houston per example, are married geezers. Hard to find a single guy in that crowd. I did the numbers last night...delete that area even tho it has over 13% geezer.
As per Florida: I think Jan. 2007 they repealed that investment tax totally. Florida and Texas taxwise are good deals.

... well at least Memorial area's 13% are all pretty well off financially. Bad news is that probably everywhere the ratio of not-dead/not-married male geezer to female geezer is skewed in the wrong direction for you. Sorry to have to bring this to your attention.

t.r. (married geezer-to-be)

Since I am having a hard time finding a metro area in Texas with a larger over 60 population (at least, 13% or more, which is not asking alot), I am actually thinking of Florida myself.
Now I see why retirees just head to Florida. At least, you would have some company in your own age group.
(My study last night of every single city and town in Denton County, Texas, in the DFW region and predicted to have the most growth to 2020 has ONE small, small town with 13% over 65 there! Pathetic! This is out of 31 cities and towns in that county!)
The thing about retirees in Texas is that most are moving out to the country and not into the cities. Austin and San Antonio, for example, are having a large influx of older folks if you look at a larger area than the metro area itself. Not many of them are in the cities. And most of the growth in the rural areas in Texas are coming from people fleeing DFW and Houston.

So I'm not surprised you won't find a huge concentration of old folks in the big cities themselves, or even the proper suburbs. But go out a half an hour or an hour's drive from Austin or San Antonio and you'll find a LOT of them. In the small town where I live about 75 miles west of Austin, the median resident age is about 46 and 24% of the population is over 65 (both from the 2000 Census). Compare that to Austin itself, where these are 31 and 6.8% respectively.

Trust me, TeeRuh, I did think of that skewing.
And to say that the Memorial area of Houston has money is a total understatement. Look at what I pulled up last night for median incomes: Piney Point $184,991; Bunker Hill $177,274; Hunter's Creek $171,194; etc. etc. etc. These places are always on the top 10-15 wealthiest cities (even tho they are mighty small cities of 4,000 sometimes) in America. I had NO idea they were THAT rich. Dang...
May I ask what area you are in, Ziggy29?

May I ask what area you are in, Ziggy29?
I'm about an hour northwest of Austin. We moved here from Houston in July 2006. In so doing, between downsizing the house and moving to a place with cheap housing, we cut our property taxes from over $4500 in 2005 to about $1300 this year. Summer electric bills average about 40% of what they cost us in Houston (not 40% less but 40% *of*, as in 60% less).

There is a very large elderly population here. It wasn't a primary consideration for us one way or the other, though.

I moved from NY to Fla. the end of last year. I'm very happy here except for the tax problem which may be addressed early next year. But I'll believe that when I see it, I say that because when do you ever see taxes go down. People who move here are hit with home tax bills that they don't expect. The tax appraiser will up your taxes 3 fold when you first buy. Case in point, I'm paying $8100 and my neighbor who has the same house and a pool is paying $3800 because he was here 3 years before me.

On the Texas front I went to visit my DD whose DH is on a work assignment in the Dallas area last month. It was my first visit to that great state. I was amazed at a number of things, all new roads everywhere, every store you can imagine, great restaurants, cheap and beautiful housing, wonderful people etc.. I'm going back next month for 3 weeks, and looking forward to it.

Texas is basically NEW in Houston and Dallas. Gosh, if a building was 30 years old in Houston, they start thinking about ripping it down. This ain't Chicago with it's wonderful Art Deco architecture from the '30's, that's for sure. It took me awhile to get used to that as I love the old stuff.
Ziggy29, what county are you in if you do not mind saying. I am now doing some homework on the outlying counties around the DFW and Austin areas. You are right about older folks moving there. Too bad for me. I love innercity life with a Starbucks on every other corner...oh well...I must be in the minority.

An amazing number of areas filled with geezers, the Memorial area inside Houston per example, are married geezers.

As a married Houston Memorial area geezer, I represent that remark !

No one lives here anymore; it's too crowded.

:cool:

Too bad for me. I love innercity life with a Starbucks on every other corner...oh well...I must be in the minority.

You sound like the perfect candidate for Sarasota ,Fl..Nice downtown with lots of sidewalk cafes ,lots of older singles but lots of younger yuppies also ,great little airport , very art oriented ,great shopping ,lots of outdoor activities ,easy to make friends ,and a few colleges nearby . Think starbucks ,martinis and yoga ! Bad things expensive but there are some bargains ,property tax a bizarre situation and of course hurricanes .

If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community. In fact, I might retire to a small college town. I like the youth aspect along with lots of entertainment associated with a college. I love going to college sporting events and there are cultural activities associated with a nearby University. And you do have people your age there as more retirees are doing the same thing.

Of course nice golf courses are a must. :)

Want to have some friends, find a guy, play bingo...whatever...and 30 year olds just do not normally want to hang with 60 year olds.

I see a fair number of 50-ish women with guys who look to be the right age for a son, but unless we are in a D.H. Lawrence novel they are definitely not sons.

These women usually appear to be clothes and body conscious, hair colored and styled well, and all around sexy looking.

Still, I get your preference for people at least in your own generation. An older lover is more apt to be a realistic lover. Not a gimme, but at least a chance. :)

If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community.

Me neither! I definitely want to be the oldest person on the block. I am happy where I am; only cost or SAD would drive me out. And I think I will get one of those high intensity lights to help keep chipper when the sky socks in for 2 or 3 months running.

Unfortunately, too many older people around the central city area are sleeping in doorways. I have sure learned something about grit from observing and talking to these people. You would be amazed at how many of them are very articulate, and at some of the bad-luck pathways that put them onto the cold ground.

Ha

Last edited:
If I ever relocate, it will not be in an all geezer community. In fact, I might retire to a small college town. I like the youth aspect along with lots of entertainment associated with a college. I love going to college sporting events and there are cultural activities associated with a nearby University. And you do have people your age there as more retirees are doing the same thing.

Of course nice golf courses are a must. :)

Then the place for you if you ever considered Florida would be Gainesville home of the Gators and in Florida golf courses are everywhere .

Ziggy29, what county are you in if you do not mind saying. I am now doing some homework on the outlying counties around the DFW and Austin areas. You are right about older folks moving there. Too bad for me. I love innercity life with a Starbucks on every other corner...oh well...I must be in the minority.
We're out in Llano County. Definitely not city life here. And personally that's the way we like it. Different strokes and all.

Back
Top Bottom