Now that you are FIREd, what type of clothes do you wear?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Well I think I have turned into a real sloth. This is petty much my repertoire. One thing that I can note is that in the last 12 months I have worn long Trousers (Pants) precisely 2 times, each in the evening at semi-formal functions. I do not do formal anymore. I probably have not worn a suite for 15 years, and could not tell you if the ones I have even fit.

I am a funny clothes buyer, if I see something I like, I will buy 3 or 4 of the same thing, hopefully in different colors, but colors are not a priority. I have many black, blue and green golf shirts, I do not wear T shirts (Maybe perhaps when w*rking outside, I wear those free ones that are given away at functions or when one gives blood). I like short sleeve golf shirts with a collar.

This is a typical day:

1) AM House coat till I shower or go out, usually about 11am or after.
2) Shorts and a golf shirt and Flip Flops (95% of the time)

House shorts are those athletic ones you can get from anywhere for under $10 a pair.

Out side Dress shorts are exactly that, what I consider decent shorts or cargo shorts.

Weekend, rinse repeat.....

I do wear deck shoes with those short socks or sandals if it is cool(er) than 50 degrees, when I go out.

That is pretty much it. My wardrobe is very small and consists of 3 pairs of jeans (Cannot remember the last time I wore those). 6 Pairs of light summer dockers, 12 pairs of shorts and too many golf shirts to count. I do have the odd dress shirt and some slacks, but cannot remember when I last wore them, or if they fit.

Does this qualify me to be a self diagnosed sloth?

One of my biggest surprises when I RE'd was how much fewer clothes are in my closet.

Not counting a new $4K suit or two every year when I was working, I'd still spend about $3K on new clothes.

Now, if I spend $500 per year, it's a lot. I also tend to wear the same shorts and golf shirt for a couple of days vs my working days.

I also found that BJ's/Costco have some really good Nautica golf shirts, pants and shorts for under $25 (wow! was I getting ripped off before!!!)

I just got the shorts and polos out today. Will be glad when I can put the jeans and flannel away for the year. We usually have a month in spring and fall where I have to keep track of both at the same time. I do have a suit and a couple of pairs of chinos but can’t remember when I last wore either of those.

Attachments

• IMG_3254.jpg
    IMG_3254.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 168
Unlike ShokWaveRider, I don't live in Florida, so this time of year, jeans and a long sleeve Henley do the trick. But, in a few short weeks (or months given the Missouri weather), shorts and flip flops will be the dress code. Come to think of it, I have not bought socks since I retired 3 years ago.

For the first 3 years in retirement, the only clothing I bought was shorts, polos, and underwear. 2 weeks ago I splurged and spent almost $90 for 4 pairs of casual pants. Probably will last me 5 more years.

Annual spend on clothes, for me, is probably about $300, at most, including shoes, sandals, etc.

DW is a devoted Kohls shopper. She buys more things than I, but not a huge amount. But she shops the sales and closeout rack. It is not unusual for her to come home with a bag of cloths with a list price of $100, but she paid $15. One time, she came home with cloths at a list of $50, she paid less than $1.

DW and I are into music; so I've got lots o' funky shirts to wear when out to a show or festival. Current favorite is my "**** Yes to all this ****". Adding a link if you want to grab one from my friend, Kris Halll.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/VelvetHippie

Now that I think about it; great saying for all of us exiting the race early

I know you all have been breathlessly waiting for this post. (Not!! :ROFLMAO: ) OK, but anyway, here goes. Here in New Orleans we either have delightfully warm weather or else hot weather most of the year. I definitely go for "Retiree Casual" clothing.

All the photos were grabbed from websites, and were not taken by me.

When we go out, if the weather is warm I wear black Adidas gym shorts. I have probably 10 pairs that are all identical and they are shown below. With them, I wear a landsend t-shirt like the one shown below (remember that gorgeous woman is not me!!!). I have probably 20 of them in every color of the rainbow just because I love the colors. I think the color in the photo is my favorite right now. Lately I have been wearing my Tiva Tirra sandals which I have both in navy and blue-green, shown below, instead of my New Balance running shoes that I always used to wear year 'round.

If the weather is cold I wear long black polyester pants or sweatpants, along with a sweatshirt and coat, and New Balance running shoes with Thorlos wool socks. But it is only this cold in January and February, usually, so this is not standard for me now that the weather has warmed up (so no photos attached).

When at home alone, at some point after a while I ditch the clothes described above, and instead wear a hugely oversized standard white men's t-shirt that is almost like a very loose dress. On my feet I wear what is known as "hospital socks" which are comfy and non-slip so I won't slip and fall on my hardwood floors. Or, like right now, I go barefoot.

I average $388/year for all my shoes and clothing. Last year it was $561. Really I think I could spend less if necessary, but it's not and I am in "Blow that Dough" mode.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 678
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 669
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 664
One of my biggest surprises when I RE'd was how much fewer clothes are in my closet.

Not counting a new $4K suit or two every year when I was working, I'd still spend about $3K on new clothes.

LOL If Hell froze over and the Devil learnt to Ice Skate, I still would not buy a $4k suit, or even close. I was a Director during my w*rking life and still did not. I do not think I have ever spent more than $300 on any suit of clothes. And I do not even believe in the Devil! Or Hell for that matter.

LOL If Hell froze over and the Devil learnt to Ice Skate, I still would not buy a $4k suit, or even close. I was a Director during my w*rking life and still did not. I do not think I have ever spent more than $300 on any suit of clothes. And I do not even believe in the Devil! Or Hell for that matter.

Well, some jobs come with the expectation that you must wear expensive clothes and some don't, or at least that is my perception. I remember when I decided I wasn't going to try for any more promotions, I was happy because I wouldn't have to "dress for the job I wanted to have" (as is so often recommended), so my clothing would cost less. Although I must admit that at my job level, I never spent anywhere near that much either, or even as much as you spent.

I wear whatever the weather dictates. Last time I wore shorts was before the snow, last year sometime. Winter is jeans, or snow pants, summer is shorts, t, hat. Flip flops in the summer and whatever is needed in the winter. Good outerwear, footwear is very important.

Jeans, shorts, tees, flannels in winter, casual shirts with pocket for vape.

Coffee (3-5 tankards) in my robe until ~9. Formal wear for breakfast - either sweats or flannel PJ's. Either jean pants or shorts with a t-shirt for outside stuff.

A polo shirt if going on a date (any outing) with DW.

A sport coat, on occasion (and weather contingent), for church.

About as complex as my portfolio..... :D

It’s still cold weather here. I have come to love wearing Eddie Bauer flannel lined jeans during the late fall, winter, and early spring. Warm, comfortable, and good enough to go to the store.

Shorts and tees about 95% (sunny Florida). When I occasionally wear jeans, it feels kind of creepy.

In the daytime, my goal is to wear shorts every day. Typically pairing with a nice t shirt. Sneakers or slip on shoes (don't like sandals).
If going out to a nice place, dockers and nicer shirt.
Wore suits my whole career, except the last 5 years, so no desire of getting dressed up.

I've kinda reverted to my military days when I 'broke starch' once a week. (Breaking starch is a term used when putting on a clean uniform from the cleaners where they overstarch to keep the crease sharp for days.)

We acquired quite a few nylon clothes from when we spent a lot of time hiking and bird watching. We still pretty much wear those clothes - lots of convertible pants, nylon button down shirts which DH wears almost exclusively. I wear a lot of colorful T-shirts.

Jeans were kicked out decades ago. Too heavy for hot climates, too bulky to pack, not suitable for washing in the sink and hanging to dry. We like thin, compact, quick dry clothing.

It's a pretty remarkable day when I wear something other than a T-shirt, Levis and running shoes. Maybe a T-shirt and shorts if it gets hot, throw on a fleece if it gets cold. The above is literally about 350 days a year. I still have some old button down shirts and "nicer" khakis from work that I'll put on for a fancier meal out. I've only broken the suit out for funerals.

Pretty much all year round I wear jeans. Flannel shirts in the winter, pullover shirts with a pocket, collar, and a couple of buttons in the summer, and sneakers.

For the occasional wedding or funeral I'll dust off a suit but that's about it.

Shorts, golf shirts and T-shirts during the warm season which is the majority of the time. Jeans, wind pants, pullovers shirts and casual dress shirts during the winter. I have a couple of suits, sports coat and dress pants if I'm forced to dress up. I buy very little now days. Broke down and bought a new pair of tennis shoes yesterday tho.

I've kinda reverted to my military days when I 'broke starch' once a week. (Breaking starch is a term used when putting on a clean uniform from the cleaners where they overstarch to keep the crease sharp for days.)

I've done something similar and reverted to uniforms.

Summer uniform: shorts + t-shirt or polo
Winter uniform: jeans + flannel shirt. Fleece layer optional

I wear gym wear during most days .Yoga pants and nylon shirts but we have an active social life so I have a wardrobe of casual outfits and sundresses that I wear several nights a week with nice sandals .In winter I add a some jeans or long pants , sweaters and flats.

Back
Top Bottom