Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Right. I think we would all be better off if we cared less about what others think. The corollary being not to have an opinion about what others do. That's a little more difficult.
Very true, but it can be extremely challenging when everyone an ER person talks to has an opinion, judgment, etc., expressed or otherwise, about what they--and by extension you--should be doing. I have decided to not talk about my ER anymore as everyone I talk to seems to be looking in the mirror and reflecting their projections.

I saw the article elsewhere but didn't read it as I immediately saw it for what it was: non-actionable click bait.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

good article - I plan on going down as a loud and proud early retiree myself

we had a guy at our club that retired from ups in his 50s and played golf everyday; I think UPS has/had a good esop or something

one of the cheapest guys I've ever met. nice guy tho

he quit after we voted on a $5k assessment and he always made his F&B minimum to a dime
Old 12-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Very true, but it can be extremely challenging when everyone an ER person talks to has an opinion, judgment, etc., expressed or otherwise, about what they--and by extension you--should be doing. I have decided to not talk about my ER anymore as everyone I talk to seems to be looking in the mirror and reflecting their projections.

I saw the article elsewhere but didn't read it as I immediately saw it for what it was: non-actionable click bait.
Yes, I agree. Although most of my acquaintances/friends are pretty polite and dont express their personal views about this kind of stuff.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 AM   #24

I'm willing to take my chances in 3 months.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #25

I think when faced with an early retiree it at first scares people and then they become a bit envious so it doesn't make for good conversation.

The first thing they think is "OMG, what am I going to do? all that planning and maths that I've been avoiding....it's too early to think about that stuff".

Then the think "how can he/she afford to retire, they can't make that much?....".

Luckily I've known most of my friends since college and what we do hasn't ever been important.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hi,

I find this article very strange as I & DW have experienced nothing of such .

My friends, acquaintances & neighbors have been curious as to how we managed that. Our story & reply usually is that our kids are on their own, there are no more major commitments & we lived below our means during our working life(Only if we choose to explain)

I retired(On disability) last year at few months short of age 59, & when DW was 55.

The answer to the usual question as to what do we do the whole day, I ask what they do on their Saturdays, & then reply, we do the same every day.

Usual response is Lucky Bast*&d, maybe a little tinge of envy or praise as to how well we managed our lives. Usually they say something like they can not think of retiring for another 10 yrs or some such.

In general I have not faced any unappreciative thoughts/words /questions. I do not know if they may come in future, but I do not/will not usually care & maybe respond in something unmentionable .

So I just say, I do not know, but it may be in the people's heads(That they do not deserve the good times & choose to feel such & act that way)

Heck, friends we did what we did(ER) to enjoy our lives while things are still going great . We would care less if some unlucky working ones feel that way.

Remember we paid our dues first for enjoying our retired lives.
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
"What do you do?"

"I'm retired."

"You look to young to retire."

"That's the whole point."
This is my standard response. As well as saying that now I just do the fun stuff.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
"What do you do?"

"I'm retired."

"You look to young to retire."

"That's the whole point."

Crickets

We retired before 50 and currently traveling. We have said and heard these ( the last time was actually 5 hours ago!) and also experienced the following:

- everyone asks my husband what he did for a living, but only about 10 percent of the people we meet ask me

- "we don't have kids" .....a great 'excuse' we use when we meet new people our age. If that isn't enough, we then say we manage rental properties....they seem to relate more with that

-worst thing is, we feel that we often have to downplay our retirement, especially when talking to someone who clearly has worked hard and will most likely need to work the rest of their lives. "We had a history of early deaths in our family so decided to travel now while we still can. We can always get a job later if we had to".
bearkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Gary Oldman
This seems to make my life easier. It sure does shorten my reading list!
Old 12-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes, I agree. Although most of my acquaintances/friends are pretty polite and dont express their personal views about this kind of stuff.
Well they're not being impolite, it's just that everyone has all these projections from MSM about what retirement "should be". A lot of what retirees are "supposed" to be thinking and doing (and consequently what I thought I should be thinking and doing) I've found I have no interest in. For all the hoopla articles such as these whip up, I've found it's simply a matter of letting many things fall naturally into place.

I'm not striving to be "happy" in retirement because I find the concept nebulous at best. Striving for contentment has much more utility, and by that measure, I've far exceeded my expectations of what a successful retirement would look like.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:12 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well they're not being impolite, it's just that everyone has all these projections from MSM about what retirement "should be". A lot of what retirees are "supposed" to be thinking and doing (and consequently what I thought I should be thinking and doing) I've found I have no interest in.
This is an interesting point. In the past, the fact that retirement was mainly leisure was a given. Now the emerging theme is that you have to strive to find your "true" purpose and make a positive impact on society until your dying day. I think some of this might be a reflection of the increasing influence of idealistic millennial thinking. It holds appeal, for sure, but it's unrealistic and might become yet another social expectation to overcome (or ignore).
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #32

Here are a few of my favorites:

"I manage investments for some really nice people."
"What do I do all day? Well, what I used to do on weekends; only now 7 days a week."
"Retired? Not at all. I am in a phase of restructuring I like to call Bryan Release 2.0"

More often when I say that I am retired and they want to know more, I follow up by saying that we started an intense saving program in 1992 and were lucky in our investments. That presents a mix of "hard work" and "dumb luck." Both of these combined seem to work well--we deserve it; but not all of it. :-)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The easiest thing is to turn the conversation back to them. "What do you do all day?" "Whatever I want. What's up in your life?"
Old 12-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #34

Everyone's different. Some people really do love vacations, trips and the whole bucket list thing. Others rush out to volunteer because of the whole "giving back" thing. Still others go back to work, in their prior field or a new one. What's important is to do what you feel is right for you and not what is implied by some NY Times article whose thinly veiled purpose is solely to justify accompanying advertising. It's also important to remember retirees are a juicy advertising target, ripe for manipulation of the worst kind.

Never having made a New Year's resolution in my life, I have decided to tell everyone my 2017 New Year's resolution is to add retirement and plans in retirement to the three things I already tell people I never discuss: religion, politics*, and (as of 2016) diet/exercise.

*Flatly telling people I refuse to talk about politics was a godsend during the whole recent bernie/trump/hillary/elections whirlpool.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus View Post
This is an interesting point. In the past, the fact that retirement was mainly leisure was a given. Now the emerging theme is that you have to strive to find your "true" purpose and make a positive impact on society until your dying day.
I used to be more like that until we started seeing the mortality tables play out in real life with the people around us. We have friends and neighbors that didn't get to see one day of retirement and some made it but passed away not too long afterwards. So we're just enjoying how many healthy years we have left and will try to do some volunteer work along the way, and hopefully have a bit left over to leave to charity.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:34 AM   #36

I usually take nyt articles with a grain of salt. Yes, nyt.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:44 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

It seems like many retirees don't care what other people think about, for example, their wardrobe and how they dress post-retirement, so why care what people think about the decision to retire at all, let alone "early" as society defines it?

I still remind people who think it's "selfish" to retire early that it's actually an act of social conscience -- that it is socially and economically beneficial to "create" a job through retirement for someone who needs it more than I do. Maybe your retirement gets someone else off of unemployment. Or off of ACA subsidies. Or maybe they just pay a lot more in taxes.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It seems like many retirees don't care what other people think about, for example, their wardrobe and how they dress post-retirement, so why care what people think about the decision to retire at all, let alone "early" as society defines it?
One of the requirements of LBYM is not caring what others think.
For many/most, LBYM is a requirement for ER.

I suspect folks on this forum over-represent the NCWOT (not care what others think) crowd.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

In my experience I think the only people that seemed upset at the idea that we retired were the ones that would like to but could not afford to do so themselves. People in our senior groups sometimes remark at how young we are but in a joking way. We've been called the "babies". Nobody cares since they are all retired. They seem happy to have some younger members.

The only negative reactions have been from people our own age who are not retired and even then only a handful of petty or big hat, no cattle types (as described in The Millionaire Next Door).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #40

Quote:

Very early in my retirement process I knew that I would need to have a narrative ready to go regarding this. DW was still working so I definitely owed it to her to "own" the fact that I ER'd and not disguise it.

I looked at all the facts and circumstances that I saw and developed my narrative. Now I bring it out when I need too. It was time well spent in my case.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote