Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We've been looking at the pleasant weather chart -

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
Surprised that the KN PPtL left out Alaska and Hawaii - unless I missed it.

A wild guess is that many places in Alaska would have more pleasant days than the places listed at the bottom of the list. I don't think I could take the long winter nights (or the cold) of winters in Alaska, but I have heard very good things about summers there (all relative, of course). The most glaring omission is Hawaii. I didn't see why it was omitted (could I have missed it?). I pretty much guarantee (by all standards most folks would choose) the weather in most parts of HI are "more pleasant" than even most of the places in CA. The major complaint I have heard about HI weather (other than the VOG) is it can be "boring". Winter coat weather is the occasional low 60's (upper 50's at night) and a blazing tropical heat is 91 in the shade (and we've got palm trees to spare.)

Looking at the places I lived on the frozen tundra of the midwest, I see why I wanted to leave. Of course, I didn't need the map to tell me that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #22
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Surprised that the KN PPtL left out Alaska and Hawaii - unless I missed it.

A wild guess is that many places in Alaska would have more pleasant days than the places listed at the bottom of the list. I don't think I could take the long winter nights (or the cold) of winters in Alaska, but I have heard very good things about summers there (all relative, of course). The most glaring omission is Hawaii. I didn't see why it was omitted (could I have missed it?). I pretty much guarantee (by all standards most folks would choose) the weather in most parts of HI are "more pleasant" than even most of the places in CA. The major complaint I have heard about HI weather (other than the VOG) is it can be "boring". Winter coat weather is the occasional low 60's (upper 50's at night) and a blazing tropical heat is 91 in the shade (and we've got palm trees to spare.)

Looking at the places I lived on the frozen tundra of the midwest, I see why I wanted to leave. Of course, I didn't need the map to tell me that. YMMV
The article seems to assume that Hawaii and Alaska have dropped off the face of the earth. Also, it seems to assume that since the author loves southern California weather, surely everybody would love southern California weather. Some people actually don't (what a shock). I lived in the San Diego metro area for six years and absolutely HATED the weather there. For me, the weather, especially the terribly low humidity, was one of several great reasons to leave San Diego. I love the weather in New Orleans, which is an opinion that I know few people share with me, but I do. The weather in Hawaii is great too.

Different strokes for different folks doesn't seem to be the attitude projected in that article, that's for sure.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've never lived anywhere with low humidity, but I know I'm not crazy about high humidity...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It rains endlessly here in WA state; we have bugs, snakes, vermin, overly caffeinated folks at every turn, dust storms and various natural disasters. Spread the word

Hey, that sounds like Texas...if you replace the overly caffeinated folks with cowboys, pretty ladies and oilfield workers, you got it.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:50 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Moved from Silicon Valley to central PA 15 years ago. Weather in the South Bay and the peninsula is absolutely outstanding. I was too busy working to enjoy it much. However, since early May, I've experienced the best weather ever here. We get rain (no drought folks) but it's in the 50s at night and 75-80 in the day most days and it hasn't been to humid.

I'm not a fan of our summer heat and humidity. But here we have a pool and hot tub. And a basement home theater to escape the heat. These are my retirement toys.

I am looking forward to enjoying the beauty of next winter's snow, rather than risking my life driving to work in it!