Join Early Retirement Today

NYTimes Article: What to Consider When Looking for the Right Place to Retire
Old 06-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

NYTimes Article: What to Consider When Looking for the Right Place to Retire

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/14/yo...to-Retire.html

And a link to the Bankrate.com article cited:

10 Best States For Retirement | Bankrate.com

Colorado is #2, which makes me very happy, sitting in the middle of the state...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Interestingly, the majority of the places on the Bank Rate list are in cold climates. Bring your long johns and your chainsaw!

Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Now, Colorado is cold, but no so much as the more northern states on the list. Most snowfall in Colorado Springs is melted/reticulated within a week, and the dry air makes 30F bearable, 'specially if the sun is out. We get an occasional Oklahoma-style wind (yesterday was a good example), but it doesn't persist for many days. I have a 1.7mile/40min walk to work, and I'll do it down to 25F.

A person's perspective to cold is relative. Years ago, I was walking to the back parking lot at Offutt AFB, Omaha NE (anyone else have a mental picture of that?), talking with a master sergeant, slipping and sliding on the iced stairs. He told me his career had taken him from Minot AFB to Ellsworth to Grand Forks to Malmstrom, then they said, "Want a southern assignment?", and they sent him to Offutt...
Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I lived in Denver for a while and it's not too bad. Was in CT for years. This February, I had a business trip to Minot area (North Dakota). It was -28 F when I got there and stayed well below zero the whole week I was there. Now I live in south Texas and have become adapted to warm weather.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With apologies to anyone who likes these lists, how is it that someone can live 40-60 years in this world and not know where HE should retire. I've never lived in any of these states, but I have been to all of them for greater or lesser times, and it is my opinion that these could not in any way be considered ideal places to live by most people, save perhaps Colorado.

I guess for someone who operates solely from checklists it might be OK, but it is very hard to include on the list what often turn out to be the most important aspects of any place, as in the case of the woman with allergies.

Does personal experience no longer carry weight?

Ha
Old 06-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Peace, mon ami. There are tenderfeet here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

BTW, I understand totally about lass w/ allergies.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
With apologies to anyone who likes these lists, how is it that someone can live 40-60 years in this world and not know where HE should retire. I've never lived in any of these states, but I have been to all of them for greater or lesser times, and it is my opinion that these could not in any way be considered ideal places to live by most people, save perhaps Colorado.

I guess for someone who operates solely from checklists it might be OK, but it is very hard to include on the list what often turn out to be the most important aspects of any place, as in the case of the woman with allergies.

Does personal experience no longer carry weight?

Ha
Ha, I agree with your perspective on checklists. My Air Force PME included a book that essentially presented such lists as examples of what good leaders should do. It always impressed me as an attempted "leadership cookbook", e.g., 'do these things and you'll be a good leader, don't worry to much about why they're important.' I met the author years later and tried to engage him on that perspective, but he didn't get it.

I chose Colorado as my 'retirement assignment' for some of the same practical considerations enumerated in the bankrate article, but my choices were constrained by the small number of Air Force bases, vice all 50 states. I'd encourage folks to use such a list as a starting point, dig behind the rankings and figure out which aspects are important to you.

That, and the personal stories can be very insightful, e.g., being allergic to the environment of your carefully selected location. That's one aspect of Colorado not addressed; it's fairly dusty here, and the allergens abound. The high altitude can also exacerbate respiratory problems...
Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Safe......lower taxes......lower living expenses......not crowded.....all help put these States in the top ten......not for people that like crowds and excitement.....good choices for people retiring from high tax States. As an Example the magazine "where to retire" illustrates that Salt Lake City is 28% cheaper than L.A......but I still like California better....although I don't live in either State buy know both. It boils down to choice and looking at safe and cheap places make sense to me IF you are thinking of moving......and don't mind cold weather.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We've been looking at the pleasant weather chart -

kelly norton: The Pleasant Places to Live
Old 06-15-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

And now you see once again why the Bay Area, central California coast and coastal Southern California costs so much more than other places in the US. It is worth it to many people who can afford it.

Ha.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
And now you see once again why the Bay Area, central California coast and coastal Southern California costs so much more than other places in the US. It is worth it to many people who can afford it.

Ha.
We were surprised by how pleasant San Diego was. We also like Newport Beach and Santa Barbara.

But yes it comes at a high price...so we bought in Mexico. We can swim in the ocean all year round but we have to vacate in the summer. And we can afford two places for the price of one in SoCal.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:06 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We were surprised by how pleasant San Diego was. We also like Newport Beach and Santa Barbara.

But yes it comes at a high price...so we bought in Mexico. We can swim in the ocean all year round but we have to vacate in the summer. And we can afford two places for the price of one in SoCal.
Southern California has the weather, but my wife and I have been thinking about relocating because it's too crowded; we'd like to live where there are fewer people, but still have nice weather.

We've been thinking about heading north (WA or OR)... we took an exploratory trip to WA (north and west of Seattle) and were surprised how pricey things are up there. I'm presuming that the Bay Area retirees are relocating there and pushing the prices up...
Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWright View Post
Southern California has the weather, but my wife and I have been thinking about relocating because it's too crowded; we'd like to live where there are fewer people, but still have nice weather.

We've been thinking about heading north (WA or OR)... we took an exploratory trip to WA (north and west of Seattle) and were surprised how pricey things are up there. I'm presuming that the Bay Area retirees are relocating there and pushing the prices up...
No; unless you are looking specifically at retirement situations, Seattle is expensive because it is land constrained and has a large amount of highly paid workers migrating in, from US and the world. If it weren't so hard to get adequate H1-b visas, it would be quite a bit more expensive.

Seattle is a lot less expensive than San Francisco and the more attractive communities on the west side of LA. But don't imagine that you get West LA or San Francisco weather in Seattle. You don't.

Ha
Old 06-16-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
No; unless you are looking specifically at retirement situations, Seattle is expensive because it is land constrained and has a large amount of highly paid workers migrating in, from US and the world. If it weren't so hard to get adequate H1-b visas, it would be quite a bit more expensive.

Seattle is a lot less expensive than San Francisco and the more attractive communities on the west side of LA. But don't imagine that you get West LA or San Francisco weather in Seattle. You don't.

Ha
Agreed, Seattle is expensive for all the reasons that you mentioned... But as I mentioned, I was looking north and west of Seattle; quite a ways away... It was far enough that it wasn't convenient for commuters to get to Seattle, and it was still pricey...

And yes, the weather is certainly different than CA...

David
Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I can see the appeal of the mountain state, CO, WY, MT, and even ID. They are beautiful states without a doubt. Of course I've never to been to any of them in the winter for good reason. The only state I haven't been to is Mississippi, bu then it never appears on great retirement lists. But the plains states of the Dakotas, Nebraska or Iowa, ugh no. They are frigid in the winter, and hot in the summer, and just aren't pretty states. Also the oil boom is making most of them much less affordable than they were a few years ago.

The seem like much better place to save for retirement, with high wages, low unemployment, low taxes, and still fairly low cost of living. Plus there isn't a lot else to do so no reason not to work overtime and save even more..
Old 06-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
I think the exodus has slowed to a trickle now, but yes that did push up prices in WA and OR. It is still possible to buy outside of the major centers (but then so is it in CA).
Old 06-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

:laugh

Born on the Washington side of the river from Portland, UW Seattle grad, 30 yrs in the Space Program - Seattle, Denver, Baltimore, Long Island, Huntsville, New Orleans.

In Seattle the space 'reugees' complained about Huntsville and New Orleans. Ten years later when transfers took me to Huntsville and later New Orleans they complained about miserable Seattle and couldn't wait to get back to the South.

Also in Denver I remember all those folks who claimed they couldn't wait to leave Kansas and Nebraska to 'come to the moutains' ala John Denver.

heh heh heh - Now post Katrina having met and married a Missouri farm raised NWM grad retired after 35 yrs in Kansas City - you get one only one guess where I like retirement.

Now there are annual trips to the Gulf Coast in winter and Minnesota in summer. But for obvious reasons Kansas City is better than sliced bread.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:

It rains endlessly here in WA state; we have bugs, snakes, vermin, overly caffeinated folks at every turn, dust storms and various natural disasters. Spread the word

Old 06-17-2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
It rains endlessly here in WA state; we have bugs, snakes, vermin, overly caffeinated folks at every turn, dust storms and various natural disasters. Spread the word

Don't forget the current infestation of octopus paxarbolis, promoted by the rainfall.