Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, and I am fine with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Broke your resolution on the last day of the year.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Oh, yes! In both cases they had children who would no longer have had insurance. In one case a child was about a month away from getting insurance from her work when he was laid off. In another, a child got very ill just after graduating college. Both, were covered by the new rule requiring coverage for children until their 26th birthday.
My premium went up $64.00 a month when this new provision went into effect. I don't have children so I'm paying for others' children, not mine. Nothing's free; someone always pays. I just hope the people with 25 year old "kids" thank those of us who are paying for their health insurance.
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:10 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My mom is a retired schoolteacher in her mid-80s who receives Social Security but with a reduction due to the WEP. Prior to this month, she had received $492/month from SS. I noticed, when going through the statements this month, that this has now dropped to $380 which, percentage-wise, is quite a bit. I wonder - is this likely due to increases in Medicare premiums?
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
My mom is a retired schoolteacher in her mid-80s who receives Social Security but with a reduction due to the WEP. Prior to this month, she had received $492/month from SS. I noticed, when going through the statements this month, that this has now dropped to $380 which, percentage-wise, is quite a bit. I wonder - is this likely due to increases in Medicare premiums?
You need to do some investigating - the decrease shouldn't be related to Medicare premiums. This year's premium changes were small, and actually decreased for many of us. Plus, any premium change won't be seen until January.

Edit: 30 days or so before SS changes the amount of benefit your mom will receive they send her a letter. That should tell you what changed and why.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You need to do some investigating - the decrease shouldn't be related to Medicare premiums. This year's premium changes were small, and actually decreased for many of us. Plus, any premium change won't be seen until January.

Edit: 30 days or so before SS changes the amount of benefit your mom will receive they send her a letter. That should tell you what changed and why.
Thanks, I will definitely follow up on this in January. She has four primary sources of income: her own relatively modest pension, IRA RMDs, SS, and my (deceased) father's fixed pension. SS was never a lot, but any bit helps and her monthly expenses have recently tripled as she had to be moved from an independent to an assisted living facility. It's my job to keep track of the books so it was a little eye-popping to see that drop!
steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #26

My question is, to what year will they look back at your income when determining your rates?

Obviously, rates for the new plans will be much, much higher than current rates when anyone can join the insurance plan. However, there are subsidies for those with lower incomes.

I am presuming that when you apply for a plan, presumably near the end of 2013 (?), that they would look at your 2012 income?

I am considering keeping my 2012 income lower because of this.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
My question is, to what year will they look back at your income when determining your rates?
If they don't fix the incredibly steep cutoff of subsidies for those who have an income of 400% of the federal poverty level (FPL), there will be a lot of incentive to get under that line. For those only a hair above it, you can bet they'll at least try to bundle income into every other year so they get the subsidy 1/2 of the time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
My premium went up $64.00 a month when this new provision went into effect. I don't have children so I'm paying for others' children, not mine. Nothing's free; someone always pays. I just hope the people with 25 year old "kids" thank those of us who are paying for their health insurance.

Agreed - nothing is free....someone is paying for this program!
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
A few patients of mine have always been conservative, but they are now happy to take advantage of the reforms already. What a shame.
Quote:
I thought you swore off making political comments about healthcare...
Quote:
Well I made an exception, didn't I ?
Well, since you started - how is it 'a shame'?

Now, if they were given a chance to opt out of the plan, and somehow could then avoid being affected by any of its consequences, and then tried to take advantage of the benefits, I could see the hypocrisy. But this is just dealing the cards that were dealt.

There is another analogy/question I'd like to pose to you - but that would take it off the deep end of politics and hi-jack the thread, so I won't.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:38 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Correlation is not the same thing as causation. This could be simply due to regular medical inflation, or an insurer taking advantage of an excuse to jam you, or due to the effect of space aliens orbiting Uranus. Or it could be a direct result of the law change. I suppose if you have your tinfoil helmet screwed on tight, it is clear which of these things caused it without a shadow of a doubt.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Check her other pension(s) that create the WEP reduction. Perhaps the lower SS is an offset to a COLA on another pension. It is definitely worth finding out why the SS amount dropped by that much though.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #32

Quote:
That's the price we all pay for living in a society with others. Unless, we all move to our own private island, there will always be a price to pay for living in an organized and prosperous society.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The Obamacare debate reminds me of what went in in California when Prop 13 was passed all those years ago. The property tax system was busted and was hurting people. The people who had the power to fix it, did little. They nibbled at some minor problems, but did little to reform the systyem, all the while saying "Trust Us! We will fix it someday." Finally, the people got fed up and passed Prop 13 for better or worse.

Medical care in the USA is the same. People are denied it, or can get it only at huge expense (your money or your life!) and all the while the people who could fix the systyem do little, promsing that if we trust them, it will get better someday. So, they ended up with Obamacare, for better or worse. My 2 cents.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope all of us say thanks to those 25 year olds when we get our medicare benefits that they are helping to pay for.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #35

Like you I don't want to hijack the thread, so I won't start another debate. I wish you good health for 2012, ERD50.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
There is another analogy/question I'd like to pose to you - but that would take it off the deep end of politics and hi-jack the thread, so I won't.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I wish you good health for 2012, ERD50.
As do I for you! I guess that is the best way all around to limit our exposure to
some of the issues of this topic.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote