Join Early Retirement Today

ObamaCare, 2014, when does it start?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

ObamaCare, 2014, when does it start?

Many FIRE people styill have to deal with medical insurance in the USA. Obamacare requires us to all have insurance in 2014 and makes it universally accessible. I do not see this law being revoked, though I believe it will be tweaked and fixed for decades (just like the NHS in the UK has been).
When does the requirement to insure everybody start in 2014? Jan 1? Dec 31? In between?

Update: Just found the date. The non discrimination based upon pre-existying conditions starts on January 2, 2014.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I do not see this law being revoked, though I believe it will be tweaked and fixed for decades (just like the NHS in the UK has been).
We will get a pretty definitive answer by the end of the Supreme Court term - mid June.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My big reason for rationalizing staying at work is healthcare. We'll see what happens this summer, after the fall elections, and every other hurdle between now and 2014.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Was watching one of the Sunday morning talk shows and the topic came up. One panel member expected the Supreme Court to rule the mandate unconstitutional. Another panel member said in preparation (if the mandate is ruled unconstitional) they are already giving more authority to the states to decide (I guess, a plan B).

As they say...we shall see...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I am waiting this out also. If the court affirms it this summer you may be able to retire using your Cobra to fill the 18 month gap until the pre-existing conditions are eliminated.
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

If the provision holds up, it would take effect January 1, 2014, which means folks could circle July 2012 on their calendars assuming they could afford up to 18 months of COBRA.

Of course, that assumes no legislative repeal or implementation delay in, say, 2013 -- at which time folks who retired and took COBRA in anticipation of it would be hung out to dry.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:29 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yes, we will see. Personally, I cannot see this going away. Reformed, fixed and changed, yes, but not gone. I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
....... folks who retired and took COBRA in anticipation of it would be hung out to dry.
Folks who make non-reversible and impactful life decisions based on anticipating what the buttholes in Washington will do deserve to be hung out to dry.........
Old 12-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Reformed, fixed and changed, yes........
Yep, the current version is pretty bad.........
Old 12-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.
But do they know they've benefited? I didn't realize till later that the removal of co-pays for annual exams was removed because of the laws, my company made it sound like they did it for us to be nice.
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

As of February 1st I'll be on medicare; its been a long 4 years without health insurance. Looks like I'm goingto make it!
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

When Free Preventive Care Turns Costly

well here is the truth to the "free" preventative health care.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekie View Post
But do they know they've benefited?
Oh, yes! In both cases they had children who would no longer have had insurance. In one case a child was about a month away from getting insurance from her work when he was laid off. In another, a child got very ill just after graduating college. Both, were covered by the new rule requiring coverage for children until their 26th birthday.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
When Free Preventive Care Turns Costly

well here is the truth to the "free" preventative health care.
This links to a story about people having to pay for health care services they expected to be covered as preventive. The reason is the way the service provider classifies the procedure. It is difficult to expect consumers to make financially sound health care choices when they do not have the information and costs are not predictable.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:45 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you MichaelB. I should have given a better explanation as to what the link explained.
I know with our current health care policy we are very careful to call them all the time to clarify that we don't need referrals or they are in place, what is covered under what circumstances etc. They get annoyed sometimes but too bad so sad. We've been burned and the article outlines circumstances where so called preventative medicine turned into diagnostic medicine and therefore people had to use their deductables.
I am starting to question if all this preventative screening is more for the benefits of the paychecks of the providers, very hard to know.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:57 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Mass, we already have this. It's great. We will stay here until there is something similar. We never have to worry about getting health insurance. People in Mass love it. I think it has more than 70% approval. You can just go to the Health Connector website and price out insurance, different types, we love it.
BellBarbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #17

A few patients of mine have always been conservative, but they are now happy to take advantage of the reforms already. What a shame.
Quote:
I know to many people who have benefited already from the reforms, many of them relatively conservative voters.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
A few patients of mine have always been conservative, but they are now happy to take advantage of the reforms already. What a shame.
I thought you swore off making political comments about healthcare...
Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #19

Well I made an exception, didn't I ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought you swore off making political comments about healthcare...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:56 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I made an exception, didn't I ?
Broke your resolution on the last day of the year.
Quote:
What a shame.