Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Wow, some of you folks get really good deals. I assume these must be highly subsidized by your employers unlike those of us Federal employees and your elected Federal representatives in the House and Senate. I am in the allegedly gold-plated Federal Health Benefits Program and selected one of the more inexpensive standard option plans yet my out of pocket for a family plan is $2400/year. Or do you folks with low payments get lousy benefits? In that case, Obamacare is admittedly pushing you to higher benefits.
I haven't seen on this thread whether high deductible plans like yours will be permitted under PPACA. If not, you will pay a lot more. If they are allowed, you will probably be able to get a low cost plan (albeit with some other features like no $7M cap) -- no reason why your carrier couldn't offer one.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #22

I'm paying over $4K/year for my "subsidized" retiree plan - there is only one plan, no choice at all. It is far more insurance than I need - I would much prefer a higher deductible policy with a lower premium and self-insure the high deductible out of the savings. So I'm hopeful that the combination of exchanges giving options plus the removal of pre-existing condition limitations will make it feasible for me to switch after 2014.

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well even if the calculator is a silver plan and a bronze plan is 10% cheaper than would seem to cut the premium from over $19000 to around $17000 a year which compares to paying a little under $3500 a year now.... I'm hoping that it won't actually shake out that expensive...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #24

A few things to keep in mind regarding the calculator and plan offerings

- The bronze plan is equivalent to the current HSA in terms deductibles and of out of pocket.

- There is an additional catastrophic coverage only option for people 30 years and younger.

- When looking at current rates and comparing them to the calculator keep in mind that our rates change age bracket every 5 years, so someone who is 39 would actually be facing a much higher rate in 2014 even in their current plan.

Our rates are about the same today as shown by the calculator. Our coverage is HSA (=bronze) so they probably would be 10% less (i think) and I will be moving into a new age bracket (sigh) which adds $600 to the cost estimate.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
I haven't seen on this thread whether high deductible plans like yours will be permitted under PPACA. If not, you will pay a lot more. If they are allowed, you will probably be able to get a low cost plan (albeit with some other features like no $7M cap) -- no reason why your carrier couldn't offer one.
My only hope is maybe the carrier would like to keep some policies in their portfolio that doesn't have unlimited expense exposure. I will be willing to call them up and beg them to charge me double in lieu of them dropping the policy and having to pick one of those color packages. Right now the only color Im seeing out of these options is red!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's an article that just came out on Forbes.com.

Surprising Ways the New Health Care Plan Can Speed Up Your Financial Independence Day - Forbes
Old 07-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
My only hope is maybe the carrier would like to keep some policies in their portfolio that doesn't have unlimited expense exposure. I will be willing to call them up and beg them to charge me double in lieu of them dropping the policy and having to pick one of those color packages. Right now the only color Im seeing out of these options is red!
If high deductible plans are not permitted (e.g. maybe on some theory that many people would opt for them and then not be able to pay the $5k) you would owe the penalty if you could convince your carrier to offer you the policy. Still, for someone in good health that might be a cheaper alternative than a low deductible plan.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does anyone have an idea what a large company might be covering for my health insurance? And, would you view this as a good value or should I shop around? I pay nearly $600 a month for me and my wife which includes dental and vision. While annual wellness checks are not deducted (physicals, 6 month dentist, eye exam), we each have a $3,000 deductible. After reaching the $3,000, then a $5,000 deductible becomes effective based upon a 20% co-pay for medical. Once the $5,000 is satisfied, there are no longer co-pays. The $5,000 deductible was added this year and the premium did not go up.