Join Early Retirement Today

Re: off the grid with solar energy
Old 01-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
One last question: Would you have done it if there were no tax break/credit?
Heck yeah. The equipment life outlasts the capex payback time, and that assumes that the price per KWHr stays constant for the next couple decades.

Think of it as an investment-- our PV array is paying at least a 5% dividend.

The tax credits just bring the profits faster, even more quickly than energy inflation...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2007, 02:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
One last question: Would you have done it if there were no tax break/credit?
Maybe. Rebates and tax breaks cut the capital cost by almost 50%. The decision without those breaks would have been more from a technogeek and environmental perspective, without my LBYM side adding "Go ahead, it makes solid economic sense too!" In that case a PenFed CD and a monthly PG&E bill would have made more strict economic sense, probably.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:14 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How much did you spend to get a 10 year payback This is both the cost of the system and your utility bills

I ask because I just don't see it.... OR I am looking at a bigger system than I need..

My total cost for electricity last year was $1,350. They suggest a system that costs as 'low' as $20,000 up to $35,000. Well, 5% of $20,000 is $1,000... so unless my cost of electricity goes below $350 I break even... NO payback.. and if I get to pay nothing... then taking $350 off the $20K is going to take a LONG time to pay back...
Old 01-18-2007, 03:26 PM   #24

Quote:
My total cost for electricity last year was $1,350. They suggest a system that costs as 'low' as $20,000 up to $35,000. Well, 5% of $20,000 is $1,000... so unless my cost of electricity goes below $350 I break even... NO payback.. and if I get to pay nothing... then taking $350 off the $20K is going to take a LONG time to pay back...
Payback is usually calculated with no return on investment (your 5%). So if your electricity bill went to zero, you'd get a 15 year payback on $20,000. So yeah, without a rebate or tax credits, your ROI would be less than 5%, assuming a low inflation rate for power costs. But if rebates and tax credits cut your upfront costs in half, then you'd have a nice looking project.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
How much did you spend to get a 10 year payback This is both the cost of the system and your utility bills
I ask because I just don't see it.... OR I am looking at a bigger system than I need..
Well, for starters we're paying 21 cents/KWHr on Oahu.

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...8978#msg138978

When you finish reading that link, remember-- you asked.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:41 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

I've been considering the option of setting up a solar system and understand I can use a non battery system and just sell electricity to the power company to offset my usage. I was wondering if this is really viable for the power companies or do they have to do this because the goverment mandates this option A consisderation since long term who nows what deregulation and goverment policy will bring.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by twild98
I was wondering if this is really viable for the power companies or do they have to do this because the goverment mandates this option A consisderation since long term who nows what deregulation and goverment policy will bring.
I think California has had plenty of experience with "deregulation"...

The power companies are delighted to have customers providing peak backup power for them. Every KW on someone's rooftop helps the utility delay the design, permits, and construction of another power plant for a few more minutes.

The state & federal subsidies make solar a better deal than ever.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think California has had plenty of experience with "deregulation"...
Mmmm...YEAH! We got to pay a lot more for electricity for several years, with no clear or obvious benefits. Any 'competition' or 'options' pretty much dried up in short order. Now we're almost back to where we used to be on the price curve.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Mmmm...YEAH! We got to pay a lot more for electricity for several years, with no clear or obvious benefits. Any 'competition' or 'options' pretty much dried up in short order. Now we're almost back to where we used to be on the price curve.
I only followed the issues a bit in the news a few years ago, it is coming closer to home now in IL.

Wasn't the problem in CA that they partially deregulated? Didn't they limit what companies could sell KWH for, but made them pay on the open market? So, when cost exceeded the limit on the selling price, they just shut down? That was my understanding, but I could be way off.

We pay about $.08 KWH in IL. They say rates will go up in 2007 and following years. I am OK with reasonable rate increases if it helps to ensure a steady supply of power. I am afraid our state gov is going to try to cap prices to 'protect' the voters, only to expose them to the risk of having their power shut off.

-ERD50

Old 01-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Wasn't the problem in CA that they partially deregulated?
The way I understand it, the problem was that the deregulation process set up market conditions that were too easy to manipulate. The spot market was set up kind of like a Dutch auction, where the highest winning bid at any given time period was the price paid to everyone. When demand approached supply, the price of power skyrocketed since it was the last bit of very expensive power that controlled everyone's price. So if a company pulled one of their units out of service at a time of peak demand, they could really drive the price of spot power through the roof. And that's what they did, since the market controls were too immature to foresee all the ways that it could be accomplished in a complexly interconnected power grid.

Think of all the abuses that have slowly been eliminated from other industries over the past century through regulation of markets (monopolistic practices, labor abuses, book-cooking, etc). Well, the deregulated power industry was in its infancy, and they didn't get the market conditions right to avoid abuses in California. Once they get the ground rules right, a deregulated power market will probably work.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

In a nutshell, californias state legislature passed bill 1890, which was laden with faulty assumptions. The state partially implemented the bill, which resulted in the utilities divesting about half of their production capabilities to a state operated independent operator entity. Over the next few years, no significant new capacity was added since nobody wanted to put the money into it while things were in flux. Then we got hit with the hottest summer in roughly a century and ran out of juice. Enron kicked in to help out by creating artificial brown/blackouts to drive up the demand and spot prices. The state caved and backed off the plan as it became aware of the massive faults in the plan and realized that continuing down this path was suicidal.

So actually california never fully deregulated. Just hopped into the middle of the power production process, $#%^'ed it up, then hopped out.

For a short time you could choose from a variety of power producers, all plugged into "the grid" and pay different rates for the pleasure...all of them higher than buying from the grid operator itself. A very small # of people started buying from 'renewable'/'clean' sourced power for 1.5-2x the cost, but it wasnt many.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:55 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch
Think of all the abuses that have slowly been eliminated from other industries over the past century through regulation of markets (monopolistic practices, labor abuses, book-cooking, etc). Well, the deregulated power industry was in its infancy, and they didn't get the market conditions right to avoid abuses in California. Once they get the ground rules right, a deregulated power market will probably work.
Lowenstein's Enron book detailed all the ways those guys gamed the market. They sat down with the legislation, spend weeks parsing it, and even asked the authorities for clarification. Then they proceeded to clean up.

They should've put Enron in charge of the system. Sorta like putting Joe Kennedy, one of Wall Street's worst criminals, in charge of the SEC.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

So actually california never fully deregulated. Just hopped into the middle of the power production process, $#%^'ed it up, then hopped out.
Thanks for the summary. I'll need to read up on the details here in IL. Off hand, they might have learned a little from CA.

As I understand it, they run a reverse auction. They state the total KWH they want to contract for the year (or whatever time frame they use), then, they start at the low end and ask for companies to submit the amount of KWH that they will provide at that price. At each step, if 100% of their need is not filled, they raise the bid offer until they get commitments for the total energy they need. The consumer will be charged based on the total average cost.

Sounds reasonable, but, as always, the devil is in the details.

-ERD50
Old 01-22-2007, 09:28 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Having sat in my living room with the temps running around 112 while watching the news reports of rolling brownouts and blackouts, and hoping to god the lights and AC would stay on...I'm fine with paying a little extra for my electricity and making it a 'sure thing'.

Cuz it doesnt cool off much here at night, and attempting to sleep in 100 degree weather is high on my list of "stuff that sucks".

Having lived in New England most of my life, I'd say the folks up that way would feel the same way about the heat in january/february.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:56 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

with all of the advances in solar technology getting closer to the market place I'm going to wait a few more years.
check out http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...arplastic.html