OK... This FIRE stuff has been debunked

:2funny:
"The biggest misconception is that retirement's going to be perfect without any planning or preparation, like something magical will happen," Veto says, "Retirement can be a fantastic life stage. But don't show up on retirement day and then try figure it out."
I don't think anyone on this board will have this problem!!!:2funny:

"Most people just sort of think retirement is going to be great but don't give much thought to what to do," Veto says.

There are two kinds of people in the world...

Those that have an abundant list of "Things To Do When I Retire."

And those that don't.

According to the chart, immediately after retirement 78% are "enjoying retirement a great deal." At 16+ years into retirement, despite all the lack of emotional preparation and the unexpected pitfalls described by the article, 75% say they are "enjoying retirement a great deal."

I wonder why they wrote this story.

I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...In a similar vein, I also read a recent on-line article about how boomers are working longer and loving it!

I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...

With all due respect to inebriated sailors, what's wrong with that? Add the growing number of articles on the wisdom of delaying SS to age 70, and things could look pretty good for those of us who are already FIREd and nearing SS age. :D

And even better for those of us ER's who are a long ways from SS age.

Hum a couple lines from AWB's "Work To Do" here. :)

I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...In a similar vein, I also read a recent on-line article about how boomers are working longer and loving it!

100% agree with you, they want people in the system, I think that is why we have saw article after article about this lately.

I think the rat race has signs near the end that say "TURN BACK LOL, YOU MIGHT GET SICK AND NEED OUR INSURANCE LOL"

Let 'em fall for it. The more that continue to pay in, the better for the rest of us.

I may want to work after I leave my current job. But it's going to be something I like doing, and it's going to be at least partially (within reason)
on my terms (and likely only part-time). I won't even care if the pay sucks. That's the good thing about being FI -- not being financially held hostage to your j*b.

"Liberation

This stage marks the official beginning of retirement, or what Veto refers to as the "honeymoon" phase. This stage is short-lived and lasts anywhere from one day to one year. Survey respondents said that on retirement day, they felt excited, relieved and liberated from the worries and responsibilities of their career and day-to-day life.
People in this stage are fully engaged in the novel opportunities of retirement, such as reconnecting with spouses and families, hobbies, traveling, even starting new businesses. Those in this phase find themselves very busy; 89% of those polled said they believe they will have enough to keep them busy throughout their retirement.
Veto warns, however, that the euphoria of this stage can quickly turn itself around. "

Guess I'm a slow-bloomer or an outlier. 19 mos into retirement and I still feel liberated & busy, and believe I will continue to feel liberated and can keep busy throughout my retirement.

Well I can tell you I am sure Depressed....we got up at 8 am, took the dogs out, made coffee, read some emails, ate breakfast, showered, got dressed and left for 2 hour nature and dolphin sighting trip out of Hilton Head Island followed by a nice lunch with some adult beverages and then back to the motorhome where I now sit in front of a small lake while I surf the net and watch the dogs. We will have dinner out at a nice local place later. Tomorrow we will go to Savannah for a show after being on the beach for part of the day. Thursday we go back to Savannah for a city tour.....etc.

We have 3 weeks left before we are "supposed" to be back home. But, we are also extending our stay here by another week and will spend more time in the area as we continue to chill out. Depressed? I don't have time to be depressed.

We are talking about going full timef for a few years so we don't have to worry about the house while we are gone and it would give us much more freedom to move about as we choose.

I could really get into this retirement thing.

"...16 years after retirement day, when many people feel more contentment...lower levels of depression and worry" the mess of a story goes on to say that this is when they start thinking about the end of their lives.

Huh? If my math is correct, those folks are at least 81 years old! I should live so long.

Okay, I promiss I will stop reading this kind of claptrap.:dead:

Crap - 14th yr at age 64 - still practicing as an amateur.

I changed my rules - I turn pro when the IRS starts RMD at 70 1/2.

Heck if I were truly depressed - I would do something totally stupid like W-O-R-k.

heh heh heh - pretend I didn't use the W word! >:D

Back
Top Bottom