Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

OK... This FIRE stuff has been debunked
Old 10-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OK... This FIRE stuff has been debunked

See.... Its just a bunch of hype! So depressing to find out FIRE is depressing.

I don't know about anybody else... But I ready for my dose of disappointment right now.

http://finance.yahoo.com/retirement/...-of-Retirement
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
"The biggest misconception is that retirement's going to be perfect without any planning or preparation, like something magical will happen," Veto says, "Retirement can be a fantastic life stage. But don't show up on retirement day and then try figure it out."
I don't think anyone on this board will have this problem!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Sign Me Up!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
"Most people just sort of think retirement is going to be great but don't give much thought to what to do," Veto says.
There are two kinds of people in the world...

Those that have an abundant list of "Things To Do When I Retire."

And those that don't.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

According to the chart, immediately after retirement 78% are "enjoying retirement a great deal." At 16+ years into retirement, despite all the lack of emotional preparation and the unexpected pitfalls described by the article, 75% say they are "enjoying retirement a great deal."

I wonder why they wrote this story.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...In a similar vein, I also read a recent on-line article about how boomers are working longer and loving it!
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog View Post
I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...
With all due respect to inebriated sailors, what's wrong with that? Add the growing number of articles on the wisdom of delaying SS to age 70, and things could look pretty good for those of us who are already FIREd and nearing SS age.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #8

And even better for those of us ER's who are a long ways from SS age.

Hum a couple lines from AWB's "Work To Do" here.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm beginning to think that stories like this are part of some big plot to keep the boomers working so they'll keep paying into soc. sec. and keep on spending like drunken sailors...In a similar vein, I also read a recent on-line article about how boomers are working longer and loving it!
100% agree with you, they want people in the system, I think that is why we have saw article after article about this lately.

I think the rat race has signs near the end that say "TURN BACK LOL, YOU MIGHT GET SICK AND NEED OUR INSURANCE LOL"
Old 10-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Let 'em fall for it. The more that continue to pay in, the better for the rest of us.

I may want to work after I leave my current job. But it's going to be something I like doing, and it's going to be at least partially (within reason)
on my terms (and likely only part-time). I won't even care if the pay sucks. That's the good thing about being FI -- not being financially held hostage to your j*b.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

"Liberation

This stage marks the official beginning of retirement, or what Veto refers to as the "honeymoon" phase. This stage is short-lived and lasts anywhere from one day to one year. Survey respondents said that on retirement day, they felt excited, relieved and liberated from the worries and responsibilities of their career and day-to-day life.
People in this stage are fully engaged in the novel opportunities of retirement, such as reconnecting with spouses and families, hobbies, traveling, even starting new businesses. Those in this phase find themselves very busy; 89% of those polled said they believe they will have enough to keep them busy throughout their retirement.
Veto warns, however, that the euphoria of this stage can quickly turn itself around. "

Guess I'm a slow-bloomer or an outlier. 19 mos into retirement and I still feel liberated & busy, and believe I will continue to feel liberated and can keep busy throughout my retirement.

"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to-day basis” Margaret Bonnano
gandalf42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Well I can tell you I am sure Depressed....we got up at 8 am, took the dogs out, made coffee, read some emails, ate breakfast, showered, got dressed and left for 2 hour nature and dolphin sighting trip out of Hilton Head Island followed by a nice lunch with some adult beverages and then back to the motorhome where I now sit in front of a small lake while I surf the net and watch the dogs. We will have dinner out at a nice local place later. Tomorrow we will go to Savannah for a show after being on the beach for part of the day. Thursday we go back to Savannah for a city tour.....etc.

We have 3 weeks left before we are "supposed" to be back home. But, we are also extending our stay here by another week and will spend more time in the area as we continue to chill out. Depressed? I don't have time to be depressed.

We are talking about going full timef for a few years so we don't have to worry about the house while we are gone and it would give us much more freedom to move about as we choose.

I could really get into this retirement thing.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

"...16 years after retirement day, when many people feel more contentment...lower levels of depression and worry" the mess of a story goes on to say that this is when they start thinking about the end of their lives.

Huh? If my math is correct, those folks are at least 81 years old! I should live so long.

Okay, I promiss I will stop reading this kind of claptrap.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post

Huh? If my math is correct, those folks are at least 81 years old! I should live so long.
This is an EARLY retirement board. In my case, I will be 74 when the 16 years are up.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
This is an EARLY retirement board. In my case, I will be 74 when the 16 years are up.
Hope you have good genes!
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Crap - 14th yr at age 64 - still practicing as an amateur.

I changed my rules - I turn pro when the IRS starts RMD at 70 1/2.

Heck if I were truly depressed - I would do something totally stupid like W-O-R-k.

heh heh heh - pretend I didn't use the W word!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
Hmmm, 16 years into it I will only be 66. And ANYTHING I do after I retire will be because I WANT to, not for the money.