Okay.... Does anybody not like early retirement/pitfalls?

I don't know! :)

Good question. Here are some possibilities (I'm covering the other side of the tracks now):

• Financial worries -- you know intellectually you've got enough, but there's always the "What if's?" What if the stock market tanks? What if health insurance skyrockets? Etc. The brain is remarkably good at thinking of things that might go wrong.
  • Don't know what you'd do with all that time.
  • Anxiety about having no more money coming in (no more paycheck)
  • Protestant work ethic: you're supposed to work, work is a sign of virtue and how you demonstrate your worth; so, if you aren't working, you're shirking your responsibility and you're sort of useless
  • Guilt about not earning more to leave to your family
  • No particular interests or hobbies outside of work
  • Feeling that you're selfish; that your role is to serve others
  • Sense that retirement means you are old and used up
  • Identity wrapped up in work ("Who am I, if I'm not a ____?")
  • No friends or social contacts outside of work
  • Hard time walking away from the paycheck during peak earning years; that seems like a dumb financial decision
  • Anxiety about having to structure every day all by yourself
  • Worries that you might end up spending all your time watching TV and eating Cheetos.
  • Worry that once you pull the plug, you can't take it back. The finality of it.

Or maybe it's something else. It would be good to try to identify what's holding you back. It's par for the course, to have concerns about it. Full retirement is a big decision. No need to rush into it. Lots of people here can talk to you about any of these issues.

Excellent and very helpful list. Like Danmar, I had some of these concerns, but ultimately decided the benefits were worth the risk. Most big life decisions have risk involved. Very glad I took the plunge!

I don't know! :)

Good question. Here are some possibilities (I'm covering the other side of the tracks now):

• Financial worries -- you know intellectually you've got enough, but there's always the "What if's?" What if the stock market tanks? What if health insurance skyrockets? Etc. The brain is remarkably good at thinking of things that might go wrong.
  • Don't know what you'd do with all that time.
  • Anxiety about having no more money coming in (no more paycheck)
  • Protestant work ethic: you're supposed to work, work is a sign of virtue and how you demonstrate your worth; so, if you aren't working, you're shirking your responsibility and you're sort of useless
  • Guilt about not earning more to leave to your family
  • No particular interests or hobbies outside of work
  • Feeling that you're selfish; that your role is to serve others
  • Sense that retirement means you are old and used up
  • Identity wrapped up in work ("Who am I, if I'm not a ____?")
  • No friends or social contacts outside of work
  • Hard time walking away from the paycheck during peak earning years; that seems like a dumb financial decision
  • Anxiety about having to structure every day all by yourself
  • Worries that you might end up spending all your time watching TV and eating Cheetos.
  • Worry that once you pull the plug, you can't take it back. The finality of it.

Or maybe it's something else. It would be good to try to identify what's holding you back. It's par for the course, to have concerns about it. Full retirement is a big decision. No need to rush into it. Lots of people here can talk to you about any of these issues.
Eddie, great suggestions! Thank you and I will go through those...

A little over a year in. ( Also did a Sabbatical when i was 49 /50.) The freedom has been the best thing about this. My career had been very demanding, especially time wise. DW & I are both avid golfers & boaters and we do both quite a bit. i now have time to do my own maintenance and fixes around the house. i am ok with not having every hour planned. Even though I did not think so, I did have a sense of "accomplishment" around my work life. I have worked on "humbling" myself and getting that feeling from completing a chore or fixing something. The only negative surprise is I had spent my whole life relatively pain free and injury free. Now something is always hurting. No one ever told me the reason I never had sore joints or muscles is because hardly ever used them. (I was working too much)

A little over a year in. ( Also did a Sabbatical when i was 49 /50.) The freedom has been the best thing about this. My career had been very demanding, especially time wise. DW & I are both avid golfers & boaters and we do both quite a bit. i now have time to do my own maintenance and fixes around the house. i am ok with not having every hour planned. Even though I did not think so, I did have a sense of "accomplishment" around my work life. I have worked on "humbling" myself and getting that feeling from completing a chore or fixing something. The only negative surprise is I had spent my whole life relatively pain free and injury free. Now something is always hurting. No one ever told me the reason I never had sore joints or muscles is because hardly ever used them. (I was working too much)

I can relate! I've been working out and doing several sports much more often than I did when w*rking, and almost every night I have lower back pain, muscle pain or both.

I imaging those who hated retirement went back to work and don't post much in retirement forums.

Yeah, we've sort of "self selected" here. We've had a couple of folks talk about their "failure" at ER, but not so sure anyone has said they couldn't handle all the time off without something to do (that wasn't w*rk.) I've mentioned before the DW does tend to get a bit bored from time to time, but not enough she would consider going back to w*rk. She just looks around to find some project to do or craft class to attend, etc. As always, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom