Join Early Retirement Today
Old 09-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.
I am a big fan of not wasting space and not holding on to stuff rarely used. Files included. I' d say I keep returns for about 7-8 years give or take a year. I think I save electronic pdf of the return going back 10-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Ohio INTJ ENG ER Hopeful
Al in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #22
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I kept all DW paystubs from her 1st and 2nd teaching jobs, as well as all the stubs as from the years of subbing, while staying home with DD and DS. She went back full time after the youngest started school and taught for another 28 years. Amazingly enough, NONE of her earlier time, was never recorded, or even employment status. We moved to another state after 2nd crumbsnatcher was born. If I hadn't kept those eight years of stubs, we would never would have the proof to purchase her past time for the 2nd state's pension plan.
I've had a few similar incidents where my paranoia paid off... megacorp misreported SS earnings when they changed corporate names after a split... Tax returns AND paystubs helped resolve it. On another occasion they cancelled my health insurance while I was on maternity leave, despite having pay continuation for part of the maternity leave with payroll insurance deductions. (This was especially bad since I had the family insurance through my employer - and I went in for a new-baby checkup to be told insurance was cancelled.). Another time they canceled my insurance when I relocated - again - I was able to prove to HR and get it resolved because I had paystubs that showed insurance deductions.. And finally, they decided I was to accrue vacation of negative x hours per payperiod... and pay stubs showed their error (which they denied till I showed them the payroll stubs.) I didn't notice for several months - and they'd wiped out over 100 hours of vacation... I ended up correcting it to within 10 hours before I gave up the fight.

Paranoia about getting rid of records has paid off, financially for me.

Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:20 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
These days I keep the past 5 years worth of records. In the past, before I retired, I probably had 15+ years of records but I found I never needed anything older than the past 2 years.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #24
gone traveling
Thanks. OP here. I burned everything prior to 2004 in our fire pit last weekend.

Didn't bother scanning into PDF either. Life is cluttered enough. Really, no need. For the post 2004 records, I am keeping a hard copy but will destroy one as a new year gets filed.

Some mention needing to keep for record keeping / cost basis for retirement funds. I can't see much hassle - IRS is gonna tax u for the amount withdrawn. Cost basis doesn't matter unless you made a few after tax contributions. Tiny in the scheme of things. Most brokers carry cost basis now by law for taxable accounts. No tax on Roth withdraws. Am sure there are good outlier reasons to keep that much paper but I couldn't justify it. It was a good feeling to purge and de-clutter. We downsized houses recently and still pitching stuff we packed but have decided we won't ever really use. Goodwill loves us !
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.
Beyond seven years I only keep the 1040: throw out all supporting documents. Prior to 7, keep everything.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:08 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've printed to pdf since that was invented, but have no drive to scan old paper! I'd rather have a box of paper than scan anything.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
I'll keep our tax folders forever. Each also has the year-end statements from all accounts, it's pretty much a time capsule of all financial stuff for the whole year. 40 years worth will probably fit in two file boxes, it seems worth the space.

"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote