Olympics, anyone?

Our strategy is to check out the NBC TV programming during the day and record a bunch, then just watch segments of that. I get frustrated by the selections for the prime time programming as they are often too focused on full coverage of mass appeal events and leave out many events.

See this link for the NBC application (you put in zip code + cable provider to get scheduling): Olympic TV Schedule | NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, MSNBC, Bravo | NBC Olympics

Great idea! And thanks for the link - that looks very useful for planning. We're like you - we enjoy some of the more obscure sports more than the "fluffy" interviews and features in prime time.

Can't escape them. Some events have already started and taken over BBC1. I foresee lots of time at the pub trying to forget the horrors of the metro hoards and the traffic.

I'll probably watch the opening and closing ceremonies because DW likes those. Otherwise, I'll probably catch a few events here and there, but that's about it. I am more of a winter olympics guy myself.

But as far as personal interests, no doubt the marathon for me. In fact, I was in the same race as the fastest marathon ever run, Boston 2011.

Look back in the Boston Marathon records/history for Les Pawson... winner '33,'38, '41..... My neighbor in RI.... best friends in Grammar school with his daughter...

Our local hero... :)

................................................................................

Can't escape them. Some events have already started and taken over BBC1. I foresee lots of time at the pub trying to forget the horrors of the metro hoards and the traffic.

I'd love to be in a London pub about now :)

Have the TiVo setup to pick it up, so we can watch at will.

Most of the performances are pretty amazing -- that people can get their bodies to do those things.

I thought that the opening ceremony would have looked a little better if none of the athletes in the Parade Of Nations were trying to record it on their mobile phones/camcorders. I realize this is a once-of-a-lifetime event for most of them, but... I guess there should be some professionally done video available for purchase, or even amateur stuff available to them for the cost of duplication (hey, there are some pretty good amateurs out there!) -- and ask them to keep their phones in their pockets, at least for that part of the Olympics.

I recorded the Opening Ceremonies on my DVR but have not watched it yet. I caught some men's swimming early this morning while I was doing my usual AM routine of checking the Weather Channel. I saw a few minutes of women's gymnastics this afternoon.
I may watch some more coverage via my cable provider, but that would be about it.
It's too nice out to sit in front of the tube. If it were ranning, I would definitely tune it in. I have a few hours to kill tomorrow while Mr B has his colonoscopy, so with any luck there will be a TV in the doctor's office.

Last edited:
As we were watching the 100M backstroke championship race, the 2nd place swimmer Nick Thoman (USA) rang a bell...

Same guy!
Richard Thoman was my hero in HS... World record holder in the 100 yd backstroke when I was in tenth grade, 1951... That was my race. (pats self on the back) First place nationally HS in 1954, but no world record. :(

Nick is the grandson of Richard... Sheesh... who'da thunk?

Am REALLY enjoying the Olympics... living the races... blood pressure, respiration, and s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g for the finish. :dance:

The best part of the Olympics is reading the quotes of London's Mayor Boris. Among them....

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif] "I was reduced to Andy Murray level," Johnson said, referring to how Britain's No. 1 tennis player openly sobbed in July when he lost the Wimbledon final to Roger Federer. "The whole thing has reduced myself to a Himalayan range of peaks and emotions."

and...

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"As I write these words there are semi-naked women playing beach volleyball in the middle of the Horse Guards Parade immortalized by Canaletto," he wrote. "They are glistening like wet otters."[/FONT]

[/FONT]

Last edited:
Not feeling too excited this time around about the Olympics. A big part of the problem is that NBC's coverage this year SUCKS! I want more sports, and less talk! Everytime I tune it in, They are interviewing someone's parents, showing how somebody trained, blah, blah, blah; but not showing the actual competition. And with a tape delay this year because of the time zone difference, they could cut out the down time and really amp it up if they wanted to.

What - you aren't inspired by an overweight woman shooting a shotgun? That has to be an American icon.

I am a former diver, gymnast and college distance runner, so I am interested in much of the Summer Olympics. I do find that unless there's a great personal story, I'm not too interested in the sports I don't have a background in; Equestrian for example...I couldn't care less how anyone does in that.

The intense competitiveness and outstanding athleticism?

BTW, I really enjoyed watching the British mens' gymnastics last night, especially the red-headed gymnast on their team, Daniel Purvis..... Amazing what he can do on the floor exercises. :blush:

Too bad that they didn't get the silver after all (Japan was awarded the silver on appeal), but at least the British team got the bronze.

I find the Olympics TV coverage does not capture or convey the absolute joy felt by most of the athletes and visitors, who are so happy just to be there to compete or participate.

Speaking about Olympic games and athletes in bathing suits,

Olympics_100_Yrs_Ago_01.JPG

And shooting

Olympics_100_Yrs_Ago_10.JPG

There are some nice photos of the 1912 Stockholm Olympic Games participants here Stockholm Olympics photos: What did Olympians look like in 1912? - Slate Magazine

I love how NBC tries to introduce suspense in the evening broadcasts of the taped events, like showing the athletes anxiously awaiting their scores to be announced. Hello, we know those events have already been won.

This twitter account from "NBC" takes the fake suspense for things that already happened way beyond the Olympics: https://twitter.com/NBCDelayed Sample tweet: "Team USA Hockey wins gold, being dubbed "Miracle on Ice"

Merideth Viera HAS to be the WORST Olympics broadcaster ever. We need to leave it to the "old pros" like Bob Costas. Outside of the Olympics, I find Costas annoying. But, noone since Jim McKay does it as well..............:)

Back
Top Bottom