Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I wasn't really impressed with the ones I got from them. They seem to add some type of flavor enhancer to the meat. I unfortunately grew up on Australian Free Range Grass Fed Beef. Quality in the states is very hard to come by.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the problems with the people who are saying about being unfrozen and refroze or frozen to long... the OP said it was grisly... no about of freezing or long freezing will make a steak grisly if it is not... just not as tasty....

Old 03-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

You could always use them as a hockey puck...

I received a box of assorted items as a gift. I was pretty much under impressed with everything...well, except the little chocolate cake.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad used to get them occasionally, so we've had them. I thought they were pretty good, but not at that cost. I think you should let them send you some new ones if they will free.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:04 PM   #25

I see the problem. Range fed beef tends to be lean and tough. That is why in days of the Hun migration/pillage/mayhem etc. the cuts of beef would be tucked under the saddle for several days. Riding along would tenderize the meat.

See, it takes a tough Hun to make tender beef.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

My sister sends me a Christmas Omaha Steak sampler each year. Chicken breasts, misc steaks, stuffed potatoes. I don"t respond to their marketing offers but do enjoy the gift. Never had a bad batch yet.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

What's the chant we always hear when a super high-ranked team goes down: "OVER-RATED"!!!!!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #28

Also got them as a gift. They were OK but prefer Costco for steaks.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

As for calling them to try to get a replacement steak, I'm not really that worried about it. The steaks were a gift, so it's not like I'm out some money.

One other thing I forgot to mention was that the steak was not a nice deep red color like the steaks I buy at my local HEB. And I'm not buying the super choice stuff-- just the regular, run of the mill cheaper top sirloin. But they are RED. This thing (a NY Strip, allegedly) was really pale and sad looking from the get-go.

Anyway, I think I'll feed the others to my dogs, or maybe my mother-in-law!
Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #30

Got some assorted stuff from Omaha Steak Co as gifts over the years and never had a problem with quality like you describe. Sounds like there was something wrong with yours, and the color should have been a good indicator. I'm astounded at the prices they ask for "regular price" and even at the deepest discount I've seen they still seem pricey for what you get. But since I get mine for free, I've never had a complaint.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:16 PM   #31

I have received their products a couple of times as gifts (not recently however). I remember enjoying the fillet mignon wrapped in bacon and also the stuffed sole, or maybe it was flounder. I eat red meat about once a week. I try to buy free range from local farms (sold frozen in a few places, including farmers markets) but sometimes purchase a small steak or some ground Angus beef from the big regional supermarket chain. My favorite "neighborhood" family market (in business since 1903) with the custom meat counter that I used to patronize on my way home from work has gone the way of the Dodo. It was always crowded, but closed shortly after all the Wal-marts opened up. I went into a minor tailspin when this happened.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
As for calling them to try to get a replacement steak, I'm not really that worried about it. The steaks were a gift, so it's not like I'm out some money.
Psssttt....Lobster replacements, dollar for dollar
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Never had Omaha steaks, though I have been tempted to try.

Recently, on a business trip, had a dinner at a well-known steak house chain. One steak, a salad (which was extra), side order of fries (also extra), a glass of run-of-the-mill red wine, a shot of Cognac (not XO) to finish it off. Including tax and tip, the bill ran to near $100. Well, at least it was not my money I was spending.

What made it bad was that the meat quality was about the same as I usually have at home, bought from the local grocery store.

Did I happen to have a bad cut of the lot? Or perhaps a crooked cook in the kitchen substituted in a "grocery store quality" cut, and pilfered the better meat to take home for himself?

I dunno, but at the price that was charged, will not come back to try again.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Were these in a true deep-freeze (the kind you defrost), or a frost-free type freezer?

The frost-free go through a heating cycle to melt the ice, and it's not kind to things for long term storage. Even if a deep freeze, I try to keep steaks for less than two months - I start to notice the difference by then (not 'funky', just not as good as 'fresh'). I wouldn't put 'em in a frost free type unless I knew I was eating them that week.

-ERD50
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM   #35

I am a big fan of steaks, and have bought from Omaha a few times with the $30-$40 dollar specials. I would rate them very good for the most part, but not great. Bristol Farms has the best steaks around here, but cost up to $30/lb. Omaha is more on a par with the best of regular supermarkets (Stater Bros here in SoCal), but Stater Bros has regular steak sales - porterhouse or ribeye for about $4/lb, filet for $8 - and is my most common steak source (porterhouse last night). Although I am a big Costco fan, I am (probably unfairly) leery of their butcher meat after 2 experiences with their pork loins - so tough even I could not eat them (my dogs had no problems finishing them though).
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I've had them before - received as gifts, not bought. They were very good. Not the best meat that I have ever had, but still very good. I suspect that you got a bad piece - so take them up on their 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post

Yes, keep us posted.....I think it is a rule on this forum that OP must provide regular updates for such issues.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #38

It's been over a decade for me as well. I enjoyed the items, but they were pricey and not the highest quality. Large premium for convenience. The main reason I discontinued purchasing thier items was the massive quantity of junk mail solicitation from the company. I think there is/was an Omaha Steaks store near me in Gaithersburg, Md
Old 03-05-2011, 08:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I got a box as a gift once, I think it was 4 sirloins. They were good but nothing special, I've had far better in every high end steakhouse in Chicago. And I looked up what they cost online, and I'm sure I could get the same quality for much less at the local butcher (or better quality for same price). Right or wrong, I concluded the appeal is an easy gift to give for a remote (or lazy) gift giver...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude View Post
One other thing I forgot to mention was that the steak was not a nice deep red color like the steaks I buy at my local HEB. And I'm not buying the super choice stuff-- just the regular, run of the mill cheaper top sirloin. But they are RED.
HEB is good for everyday steaks, but if you want a good selection of really good steaks you have to go to HEB Central Market. You pay more, but they have a better selection of higher grade meat - not to mention more knowledgeable butchers. Every time I have tried to talk with a butcher at the regular HEB I wind up educating him. Go to Central Market and I get schooled by the real butchers.