Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2015, 06:56 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Cobra, glad to hear you got one. After just 3 months, I don't think we could do without it! Happy eating!
SDHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:26 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHiker View Post
Cobra, glad to hear you got one. After just 3 months, I don't think we could do without it! Happy eating!
+ 1

Greatest return I ever got on a gadget.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
This thread inspired me to get a Thermapen. Got the green one on sale for $75. I've been so frustrated over the years with cheap, cr@ppy meat thermometers. This thing is awesome. We reverse-seared a huge ribeye last night, which was amazing medium rare. I pulled it from the oven at exactly 120 degrees. Then seared for one minute on each side in a dry cast-iron skillet, which was as hot as I could get it.

Thanks to all who posted about the Thermapen.

I got mine, too. Must be a thing about Thermapen and rib-eye steaks, that's what I'm putting on the grill tonight for dinner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thermopen.jpg (30.1 KB, 270 views)
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just ordered the brown one for $79. Love my rib eye and it'll be here in time for grilling season .
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

After buying an XL Egg and a Thermapen, we'll never order steaks at a restaurant again.

Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
After buying an XL Egg and a Thermapen, we'll never order steaks at a restaurant again.
Yep. Weber Kettle with Thermapen means the same for us (although, it was already the case before the Thermapen--that just made it an even easier rule to follow).
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I got NY strip spiced up and ready to grill in about 30 minutes

Don't need no stinkin pen....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I got NY strip spiced up and ready to grill in about 30 minutes

Don't need no stinkin pen....
I'm with Texas Proud, when it comes to steak, what advantage is a thermapen or green egg?

I have neither, and I also almost never order steak at a restaurant (I order something I can't get at home.. cue Tom Waits ).

I know the Green Egg group is somewhat cult-like, and maybe it is best for some things. But a steak is just seared. Very Hot is good, pretty much regardless how you get there. I just throw some hardwood on our gas grill for some smoke, and I also got fantastic results, though w/o smokiness, with the zip-lock-bag-water-bath-blow-torch method.

On the grill, I use the touch method (which does take a little experience/calibration - press the raw meat to get a sense of it). A thermapen could help, but isn't a necessity. What does the BGE bring to the steak party?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

When I was working, I found cooking dinner a nice 'therapy' ("cooking with wine" helped too) to offset a stressful day.

When I RE'd I one of my goals was to become a better cook. Over the past 10 years --if I must say so myself--I've become quite good and can usually make a great meal just from a picture or description of the ingredients.

I prefer skillet/saute cooking with grilling right behind it. Don't care for baking.

As another poster mentioned, I find myself going to restaurants saying: "I could do this same meal so much better..."

Nowadays, we mostly eat out for sushi (tried it at home...leave it to the professionals) and an upscale restaurant once or twice a week but more for social/entertainment than to get a quality meal.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 AM   #111
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'm with Texas Proud, when it comes to steak, what advantage is a thermapen or green egg?
My thermapen made its debut last night on the grill with a couple of steaks. I know how to cook them and didn't need any help, but it was still useful, they came out perfectly cooked. Next up will be a whole tenderloin for Easter Sunday, the thermapen will then earn it's keep for sure.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:10 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

On the grill, I use the touch method (which does take a little experience/calibration - press the raw meat to get a sense of it). A thermapen could help, but isn't a necessity.
-ERD50
I haven't mastered the touch method, so a very fast precision thermometer to get the steak cooked exactly how I like it, regardless of shape or size, is appreciated.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My thermapen made its debut last night on the grill with a couple of steaks. I know how to cook them and didn't need any help, but it was still useful, they came out perfectly cooked. Next up will be a whole tenderloin for Easter Sunday, the thermapen will then earn it's keep for sure.
Are you going to grill the whole tenderloin?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I haven't mastered the touch method, so a very fast precision thermometer to get the steak cooked exactly how I like it, regardless of shape or size, is appreciated.

But the shape and size is the biggest problem... take my NY strips... there is a bigger piece that narrows to a 'tail'.... not any major difference mind you, but enough...

So, I am eating my steak last night and start on the 'skinny' end... very little pink... still great taste, but not as soft... tell my son that I cooked it too long... look at his and his looks great... well, when I get to the larger section, mine is great... about 3/4th of my steak is just how I want it and 1/4 is a bit more done than I would want... how can a pen help out on that

BTW, isn't the BGE charcoal I would think that taking the time to get a good amount going would take way too long for the 20 minutes or so of cooking.... I can see it for smoking as my BIL has one.... but steaks
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..snip...

take my NY strips... there is a bigger piece that narrows to a 'tail'.... not any major difference mind you, but enough...

So, I am eating my steak last night and start on the 'skinny' end... very little pink... still great taste, but not as soft... tell my son that I cooked it too long... look at his and his looks great... well, when I get to the larger section, mine is great... about 3/4th of my steak is just how I want it and 1/4 is a bit more done than I would want... how can a pen help out on that
A pen can tell it's temperature, allows you to prevent overcooking. No more no less. I've saved a lot of money by not relying on time or touch, I do agree you can go by touch, I'm not overly confident in my ability.

You can cut a strip in two pieces. I don't care for that. Of course you know there's no cows in New York City so I'm not sure what you're really eating. When I go for a KC strip I enjoy the changes from med. rare to rare. Might try fillets as they're consistent in size.

The biggest benefits of the pen IMHO are immediate read to ensure I've not overcooked anything. I also love the thing for poultry, pork or foods I seldom cook... I've always had a tendency to overcook those, the pen helped me discover how much.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Quote:
I should have been clearer with my earlier question, and matched Cassius King's wording - I should have asked:

'what advantage is a thermapen and a green egg?'

I can see that the pen might be helpful for anyone, the touch method does take some learning. But I don't see why both are needed - not sure what the BGE brings to the party for a steak?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But the shape and size is the biggest problem... take my NY strips... there is a bigger piece that narrows to a 'tail'.... not any major difference mind you, but enough...

From my Thermapen I'll know that it's medium rare in center but medium in the narrow section. I could even decide to move or rotate it if I think one area is cooking more quickly than another.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #118
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Are you going to grill the whole tenderloin?
That's the plan

Quote:
Inconsistency in thickness is an issue no thermometer will fix. Sous-vide probably will minimize the unevenness in cooking. For pricey steaks I try to make sure they are properly cut when buying them. Some dishes, like a large piece of salmon or whole tenderloin, will cook unevenly, but that's not necessarily bad, as not all guests at the table want the main dish cooked to the same degree.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:44 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

I think someone held a gun to my head and said, "Either your brains or your pen is on that grill."

That was an offer I couldn't refuse.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...So, I am eating my steak last night and start on the 'skinny' end... very little pink... still great taste, but not as soft... tell my son that I cooked it too long... look at his and his looks great... well, when I get to the larger section, mine is great... about 3/4th of my steak is just how I want it and 1/4 is a bit more done than I would want... how can a pen help out on that
The piece has to be properly trimmed as an earlier poster said. Other than that, what I like about the Thermapen is that its pointed tip and its speed allow me to take quick measurements all around the piece.

I even use it when grilling shish kabobs. The pointed tip makes it easy to sample the temperature, and I do not even have to hold the piece with a tong while I poke it.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote