Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But the shape and size is the biggest problem... take my NY strips... there is a bigger piece that narrows to a 'tail'.... not any major difference mind you, but enough...

So, I am eating my steak last night and start on the 'skinny' end... very little pink... still great taste, but not as soft... tell my son that I cooked it too long... look at his and his looks great... well, when I get to the larger section, mine is great... about 3/4th of my steak is just how I want it and 1/4 is a bit more done than I would want... how can a pen help out on that
We like skirt steak occasionally and had a beauty tonight. It's usually about 5" wide, 12" long, and ranges from 3/4" thick at one end down to 1/4" at the other. I cut it into 4 pieces (by thickness) and stagger the cooking, i.e. the thickest piece is the first on and last off... thinnest piece is last on and first off. Tonight, I also used the new Thermapen to make sure I pulled each piece off at exactly 125 degrees. After a 10 minute rest, all 4 pieces were beautiful medium rare (about 130-132 degrees), including the thin end. Tonight, I used the cast-iron skillet inside, but same can be done on the grill. I do the same with Atlantic salmon fillets, which have a similar shape/thickness profile. I've also done this with a large NY strip that DW and I were going to split... cut it in half before cooking and stagger the time on the grill.

Cobra9777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But the shape and size is the biggest problem... take my NY strips... there is a bigger piece that narrows to a 'tail'.... not any major difference mind you, but enough...

So, I am eating my steak last night and start on the 'skinny' end... very little pink... still great taste, but not as soft... tell my son that I cooked it too long... look at his and his looks great... well, when I get to the larger section, mine is great... about 3/4th of my steak is just how I want it and 1/4 is a bit more done than I would want... how can a pen help out on that
The other thing you can do with strips think it was hinted at prior and similar to what Cobra suggested. Sometimes I'll set the grill up for indirect heating. Sear a little than move the tail out on the cooler part of the grill.

A pen can help you adjust how much is on the indirect side.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:41 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

I find the pen really useful on large cuts of meat as well as multiple pieces such as a whole tri-tip or sections of butterflied leg of lamb or individual lamb chops. On the multiple pieces - I start turning and removing each as they get done. On the larger pieces, I am usually using some indirect heat to finish, and I can turn if I see a section getting done faster. And I can know which ends will be medium well yet that the center will be rare.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The thermapen sounds like a great tool and I'll probably pick one up.

We've started cooking more meat recently (and even steak which we never did before) and i'm always wondering if it's cooked enough. The touch test is way beyond me.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I seasoned a 600g pork butt (which is actually a shoulder) with rosemary, paprika and a few other things and put it in my $9.99 slow cooker on a bed of sliced mushrooms. I added two tablespoons of white wine and set it on Low for 6 hours. Then I steamed some baby potatoes and broccoli. Result: melt in your mouth delicious. I will get three dinners out of this, and all for under $10.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I find the pen very useful when cooking steaks. Especially when cooking for a group with different tastes. The Egg is just the vessel I use to do my cooking. As long as you got a fire hot enough, it will do the job. Most people will tell you to cook your steaks in a cast iron pan for best results. I've started doing this to get a nice crust.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

I find the Thermapen useful on steaks, but agree with posters who say that one can get good results based on experience. It's just that I tend to forget my past results and make new errors. Hence, I need a meat thermometer, and it does not have to be a Thermapen. It's just that the pen is much more handy with its thin tip and its measurement speed.

But here's something else that the pen would beat any other thermometer on. Yesterday, I fried some battered cod. These were some big fillets, with each chunk around 1/4 lb or more. The long tip of the pen let me reach into the pan and measure each piece at several locations. And I was surprised to see that while one piece was up to 150F, another was still in the 110s. Perhaps they were not thawed out evenly, one was thicker, or my gas burner was not even.

Before I had the pen, I tended to overcook them all to make sure they were not undercooked. Now, each piece was checked and pulled from the pan at the right temperature. My wife had to agree that the fish was crunchy on the outside, yet still moist and soft on the inside.

A larger tipped thermometer would have broken the fillet with multiple pokes, and would require you to hold it in place over the pan for several seconds to take a reading. The Thermapen makes it so easy. Thermapens rule!
Old 04-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Green Thermapen being closed out at $79.00 on the website. Ground shipping was $3.99.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Yep - British racing green no less!!
Old 04-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Please consider a Thermapen. This precision tool is totally worth the investment Super-Fast Thermapen® Thermometer from ThermoWorks

The brown ones are on sale at the moment. ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof Thermapen Private Sale

(No, I don't get a commision)
I have held off getting a Thermapen only cause I'm cheap, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. However, on Amazon I see that ThermoWorks offers another super-fast thermometer called the ThermoPop at a much lower price than the Thermapen. The Amazon reviews are good for both products and reviewers don't seem to notice much of a performance difference between the two, perhaps a couple seconds.

Do any of you out there have any experience with the ThermoPop? If so, do you like it and do you have any idea how it compares to the Thermapen? If the performance is similar and the biggest difference is simply the form factor (Pop vs Pen) then I would probably go with the Pop.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZVJM6K/...80PGBVK0&psc=1
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #131

I recommended Thermapen to a friend last fall and they decided it was too pricey and got the Pop instead. They are happy with it so far but obviously can't compare it to Pen.

Speaking of good stuff to eat, I decided to make green chile pork posole with some gourmet dried hominy my sister gave us for Christmas. It's in the slow cooker now. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:47 PM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I have held off getting a Thermapen only cause I'm cheap, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. However, on Amazon I see that ThermoWorks offers another super-fast thermometer called the ThermoPop at a much lower price than the Thermapen. The Amazon reviews are good for both products and reviewers don't seem to notice much of a performance difference between the two, perhaps a couple seconds.

Do any of you out there have any experience with the ThermoPop? If so, do you like it and do you have any idea how it compares to the Thermapen? If the performance is similar and the biggest difference is simply the form factor (Pop vs Pen) then I would probably go with the Pop.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HZVJM6K/...80PGBVK0&psc=1
I am ordering the Pop so I can clip it to the side of a pan while making candy a couple times a year. It has to be similar to the pen in terms of quality, I would think.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Green Thermapen being closed out at $79.00 on the website. Ground shipping was $3.99.
Quote:
Yep - British racing green no less!!
I ordered one. Missed out on the brown ones because I procrastinated a few days thinking about it but green is good too.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

ThermoPop is probably fine, since it's made by the same company as the Thermapen.

The two big differences I see are:

A. It takes an extra few seconds to give you the reading. If you can put up with that little nuisance, it's fine.

B. Being shorter, there are fewer inches between the probe tip and your hand. If you're sticking it into a very hot oven or over a hot grill, you'll probably want to have an oven mitt on your hand. For me, this would be a deal breaker, since I use my Thermapen a lot on the grill, and my hand stays far enough from the heat that it's fine.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:51 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I ordered one. Missed out on the brown ones because I procrastinated a few days thinking about it but green is good too.
I think the green is much prettier. That brown was kinda yucky.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

The very fast read speed and large display is important to me.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #137
Dryer sheet aficionado

For a less expensive alternative, I bought this one from Amazon:

RT301WA Super-Fast Pocket Digital Thermometer with NSF Approval

It's only $19 + $6 shipping. I haven't tried a real Thermapen, so don't know how it compares, but it's been a lifesaver for me when using the grill/oven.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #138

Quote:
I think the green is much prettier. That brown was kinda yucky.
Quote:
The very fast read speed and large display is important to me.
I didn't really care about the color - I mean, it's a tool, not a fashion statement, although I suppose a bright red or yellow would make it easier to find if I drop it in the grass.

Surprisingly, I already received the email that it shipped! I didn't expect that until Monday - I guess I just got in under the wire.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I didn't really care about the color - I mean, it's a tool, not a fashion statement, although I suppose a bright red or yellow would make it easier to find if I drop it in the grass.

Surprisingly, I already received the email that it shipped! I didn't expect that until Monday - I guess I just got in under the wire.
Well, the first one DH bought me was pepto bismol pink. Yuck! Later DH realized there were more color options. I eventually upgraded to one with a backlit display and gifted the pink one to my cousin who was threatening to steal my sister's Thermapen (also a gift from me).

I enjoy my current cherry red one.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:39 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Well, hate to rain on this parade, but...

The 12 Greatest All-You-Can-Eat Buffets in America! | Tabelog

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote