Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2015, 10:45 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thermoworks is having a moving sale on their site. There is a promo code for 15% off everything until May 15th.

I just ordered the ThermoPop.

ThermoWorks.com - Professional Temperature Tools

Promo code MOVINGSAVE15

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have been pleased with my ThemoPop. I used it to cook a nice rib-eye steak last week and it came out perfect.

See Grilled Cowboy-Cut Rib Eyes Recipe - Cook's Country

but in short, salt 2" thick steaks with kosher salt and let sit at room temperature until internal temp rises to 55F. Then rub with olive oil and pepper and grill over medium heat (300F grill temp) until internal temp rises to 75F, then turn and continue to grill until internal temp is 95F. Remove steak from grill, turn grill up to high and sear until internal temp rises to 120F (about 4 minutes on each side). Then let rest, tented in tin foil, for about 15 minutes and slice 1/2".

Ours came out excellent medium rare.. pink throughout with a nice sear on each side.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #143

After all the raving about the Thermapen I bought one (on sale, of course!) and like it. So far I've only used it on chicken but will grill a steak soon and expectations are high.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #144

They're on sale again, this time in purple. I bought one for a gift for DW's nephew, who enjoys cooking on the grill.

Super-Fast Thermapen® Thermometer from ThermoWorks
Old 05-30-2015, 07:06 PM   #145
Recycles dryer sheets

Holy crap that must be the greatest thermometer ever. $96. Did I read that right?

My $10 version works just fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #146

This thread makes me smile. I keep waiting for someone to just start a "Thermapen" thread (not me, since I already bought one based on the prior posts).

It's never too late to pick up an "OMG!" though!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:43 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodguy00 View Post
Holy crap that must be the greatest thermometer ever. $96. Did I read that right?

My $10 version works just fine for me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Depends on how much cooking/baking/grilling you do and how patient you are while waiting for the $10 thermometer to give you an accurate temperature. The Thermapen takes about 2-3 seconds versus up to 30 seconds waiting while the oven or grill is open losing heat. It's a very individual preference whether it's worth the $$$ to you. To my husband, it is entirely worth it.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:55 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Well, I just made my first home made pizza: Margherita. I would rate it a 6 on a scale of 1-10. But I can see where I can improve. Next time it will be an 8/10. And dinner cost ~$3. What's not to love?
Old 05-30-2015, 09:24 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

When I was young and could eat a lot without gaining weight, the joy of food was all in the eating.

Now, as I eat less, I compensate by finding additional pleasure in the food preparation.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I'm not an accomplished chef in the kitchen, but outdoors I can grill a steak to my satisfaction better than most steakhouses. Saw this online and it's foolproof - Grill the steak for a minute or 2 on each side on the highest heat setting. Then turn off the grill and leave the steak in the grill for about 5 minutes. This sears the outside, seals the juices inside, and lets the inside cook slowly to a pink center. Also smoke ribs, brisket, pulled pork using a Traeger smoker.
Highest setting?

This is on a gas grill? Do they have standard temperature settings?

How's the cleanup on those grills?

One thing I noticed is that you can sear the meat with hotter temperatures on a simple hibachi with charcoal than you can on gas.

My parents went to the trouble of getting a gas hookup outside for the grill, was unsatisfied with the results and just used the pan instead.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:19 AM   #151
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Well, I just made my first home made pizza: Margherita. I would rate it a 6 on a scale of 1-10. But I can see where I can improve. Next time it will be an 8/10. And dinner cost ~$3. What's not to love?
We discovered the joys of home made artisan pizza a couple of years ago and haven't ventured into a pizza parlor since. For us the secret is a pizza stone, a paddle, pizza balls from our favorite gourmet pizza parlor(yes we cheat but the dough rises just the right amount and I don't think I could replicate it myself). The rest is all in your imagination for endless variations of toppings. My personal favorites are Pesto arugula and prosuitto and Bacon and mushroom.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Just for the people who are looking at the thermometer..... I bought the pop and it works plenty fast for me at 1/3rd the price...
Old 05-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
When I was young and could eat a lot without gaining weight, the joy of food was all in the eating.

Now, as I eat less, I compensate by finding additional pleasure in the food preparation.
Our motto, a bit tongue and cheek, is 'We have to earn our meals.' A nice 8 - 10 mile hike goes a long way in offsetting calories enjoyed later in the day.

I made this Cooking Light meal last week (not related to above note!) and it was wonderful and simple, Pork Chops with Balsamic Roasted Vegetables: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/pork...ted-vegetables
Old 06-01-2015, 08:06 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
They're on sale again, this time in purple. I bought one for a gift for DW's nephew, who enjoys cooking on the grill. Super-Fast Thermapen® Thermometer from ThermoWorks
Thanks Walt for the tip. I was waiting for a sale as I hate paying full price for anything. I ordered a purple one last night. A question for you expert grillers. At what temp do you take a rib eye off the flame for a perfect medium rare? And how long do you let it rest?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethT View Post
Our motto, a bit tongue and cheek, is 'We have to earn our meals.' A nice 8 - 10 mile hike goes a long way in offsetting calories enjoyed later in the day...
We are not overweight (current BMI of 24 for me, less for DW), but do not exercise as often as we should. We just came back from a 4 mile hike, with 2000 ft climb (it took 3 hours). It killed my appetite, even though I have not had anything for breakfast or lunch other than a coffee, and I think I will just have a Cup-O-Noodle this evening.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:44 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Thanks Walt for the tip. I was waiting for a sale as I hate paying full price for anything. I ordered a purple one last night. A question for you expert grillers. At what temp do you take a rib eye off the flame for a perfect medium rare? And how long do you let it rest?
130 max at center. At least 5 mins.

You have to experiment with which temp matches your taste.

When resting - I place a foil "tent" over the meat - just folded so that it perches over the steak like an A-frame and let's the steam out, but protects from cooling too fast.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:01 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Highest setting?

This is on a gas grill? Do they have standard temperature settings?

How's the cleanup on those grills?

One thing I noticed is that you can sear the meat with hotter temperatures on a simple hibachi with charcoal than you can on gas.

My parents went to the trouble of getting a gas hookup outside for the grill, was unsatisfied with the results and just used the pan instead.
My gas grill will get up over 700 degrees with a natural gas connection to the house.

I don't cook anything at that temperature. That's for burning off and brushing the grates clean.

I get plenty of "sear" - crusty outer coating on meat - at 450 or even less. We really don't like strong black grill marks on our meat, so I'm very careful.

Big black grill marks = unpleasant bitter flavor which is one reason we often avoid ordering grilled food at a restaurant unless we know they do it well.

Hate burnt tasting meat. When RVing it smelled like many folks felt burning the meat was some kind of camping requirement.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM   #158
Recycles dryer sheets

I too prefer to sear meat at lower temps.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:25 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
130 max at center. At least 5 mins. You have to experiment with which temp matches your taste. When resting - I place a foil "tent" over the meat - just folded so that it perches over the steak like an A-frame and let's the steam out, but protects from cooling too fast.
Thanks Audrey. Looking forward to trying this out. We too cover loosely with foil for 5 minutes.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I have discovered that it is definitely worth eating out when you are traveling in France. What great experience! Good reason to return.