Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wish I hadn't found this thread, you people are killing me.

DW doesn't eat red meat, so I don't get steak unless we go out for dinner...

Enjoy cooking at home, though I'm not at the same level of some of youse guys.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Another happy owner of the Thermapen here, although I received it as a gift. Left to the frugal self, I would not have paid the price in order to discover its supreme speed, accuracy, and the small pointed tip that does not poke the meat to death.

We have had several encomiums of the Thermapen. See discussions starting from this post: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1450363, and this entire thread: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1452784.

About sous vide cooking, I have never done it, but the talk about steak sous vide method by ERD50 gave me an idea. We have a thermal cooker, which is a pot with triple walls. The 1st and 2nd walls are the outer container and have vacuum between them. The inner pot is suspended inside the outer pot, hence another layer of air for insulation.

It occurred to me that this thermal pot which holds 2 gallons is very suitable for cooking a couple of steaks sous vide. I want to cook to 135F, and will have to allow a couple of degrees for heat absorption by the steaks, plus the temperature drop during 1 hour of cooking. But as there is no danger of overcooking, I will be able to check the temperature of the water bath every 15 minutes, and add hotter water as needed.

For more on steak cooking sous vide, see: Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:52 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
The brown ones are on sale at the moment. ThermoWorks - Splash-Proof Thermapen Private Sale

(No, I don't get a commision)
Ha, that's what I get for taking my time to think about it. They are no longer available.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another thumbs up for the Big Green Egg. Using lump hardwood, I told DH the steaks are better than Ruth's Cris due to the incredible smoky flavor. I think I saw a tear in his eye after the compliment.

Agree with another poster who said he eats out for sushi. New neighbor is a sushi chef and Japanese restaurant owner. After watching him prepare sushi in his kitchen using sashimi grade fish, the freshest shrimp and scallops, and a hand torch, I can't get that kind of quality ingredients unless perhaps I live at the coast.

EastWestGal, I think I would enjoy trying that Indian dish!
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:32 AM   #65

Please describe outdoor pizza oven - like wood-fired pizza?
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a picture of our pizza oven- it's wood fired. Typically heats to about 850-900 degrees after about 2 hours of a hardwood fire. Coals pushed to the back and a small fire is left burning to help cook the top of the pizza. A 10" pizzas cook in about 90 seconds, usually do 2 at a time. The interior of the oven was a kit from a company called Forno Bravo- it's made of refractory cement and has about 3" of insulation all around the oven, then a coat of stucco for sealing. I covered ours with 2" ceramic tile and epoxy grout to keep it sealed to the rain. If the oven hasn't been used for a while, might be a bit damp so takes a bit longer to rise to full temp. The next morning after cooking pizza, the oven is usually at at least 400 degrees so we try to have bread or a roast or something to take advantage of the remaining heat.

davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I am so jealous!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:51 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I am so jealous!
Indeed. You can always tell when someone takes their pizza very, very seriously.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

With my luck, as soon as I build one of those pizza ovens in my backyard, they would come out and declare that carbs are bad for you.

I'll just make do with 500-600 degree in wall oven pizza baking. I do need to invest in a pizza stone though.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Another thumbs up for the Big Green Egg. Using lump hardwood, I told DH the steaks are better than Ruth's Cris due to the incredible smoky flavor. I think I saw a tear in his eye after the compliment.

Agree with another poster who said he eats out for sushi. New neighbor is a sushi chef and Japanese restaurant owner. After watching him prepare sushi in his kitchen using sashimi grade fish, the freshest shrimp and scallops, and a hand torch, I can't get that kind of quality ingredients unless perhaps I live at the coast.

I think cooking with charcoal just takes way too much time.... unless I am out camping (or in cabin for me) and my son has volunteered to do it
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

....snip...

!
I understand some sashimi , raw salmon in particular, must be frozen prior to consumption. Kills parasites.

That said if my love for sashimi was back in the 90s what it is today. I would have enjoyed Ahi straight off the hook.

But I do agree quality seafood is generally harder to find in the midwest. IIRC 31-41 shrimp was $19.95 last week at the grocery store.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Indeed. You can always tell when someone takes their pizza very, very seriously.
Hey, he asked!
Old 03-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Hey, he asked!
Walt's post was most definitely a compliment, and I'll second it. A very cool setup indeed.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:52 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Walt's post was most definitely a compliment, and I'll second it. A very cool setup indeed.
I knew it was a compliment and appreciate the good words from all!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:32 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Agreed.

If I didnt live in an uber hot climate, I'd have one too.

Wood-fired pizza's been out though as gluten is off the menu for me.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:45 AM   #76

Quote:

I think it needs tweaking so I'll post in the recipe thread after another go at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:34 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'll just make do with 500-600 degree in wall oven pizza baking. I do need to invest in a pizza stone though.
No need to buy an expensive pizza stone. For years I have used 4-6 6"X6" unglazed quarry tile (about 50 cents each at HD). They stay in the oven and help stabilize the heat for fresh bread and everything else too.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
No need to buy an expensive pizza stone. For years I have used 4-6 6"X6" unglazed quarry tile (about 50 cents each at HD). They stay in the oven and help stabilize the heat for fresh bread and everything else too.

Cheers!
Do you put the pizza directly on the tiles or it's just in there as a thermal mass to offload heat once you put a room temp pizza in the oven?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #79

Another year-round griller here.
Also a HUGE fan of the Big Green Egg, Sous Vide Supreme, and Thermapen.

One comment might be useful. I noticed several posters mentioning that they bring their steak up to room temperature before grilling it.
If you're using any smoking method (wood chips or BGE), you might be surprised at the difference it makes if you don't do that. Cold meat absorbs smoke flavor far more readily than room temperature meat. If I'm not using the sous vide, I put the meat in the Egg right out of the frig. Of course, it has often been treated with a good rub several hours previously and stored in the frig until grilling time.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another year-round griller here.
Also a HUGE fan of the Big Green Egg, Sous Vide Supreme, and Thermapen.

Braumeister, or anyone else, can you compare big green egg to old-fashioned weber kettle? My impression is that for long, slow cooking/smoking it is the way to go. Or is it more than that? (We are time constrained right now, and don't even take full advantage of the weber's capabilities.)

Thanks!