Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #21
gone traveling

Foxfirev5, what is your fixed retirement DATE? Have you given your boss a letter of resignation (if that is appropriate in your position) with that date stated?

If your plan is to do some travelling to begin with, where to? Have you bought your first one-way, non-refundable ticket yet?

I'm looking for commitment here. Sounds like your boss doesn't see you as committed yet. I hear you talking the talk, I want to see if you are walking the walk.
OldPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 08:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OldPro - Oh yes I put in writing with a specific date 5/6/16. I even had trusted coworkers review it to avoid any misinterpretation. Hopefully I'll be in South Florida by Saturday night. No need for a one way since I do want to return home.
My only possible regret is that I probably shouldn't have given so much notice. Trying to be upfront and honest doesn't always work. After all this still is the corporate world I'm dealing with.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #23
gone traveling

So your retirement date is this Friday? I thought it was a few months from now.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's hoping the current downturn is limited and temporary.
Best to retire into a rising market unless your income does not depend much on CG's
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPro View Post
So your retirement date is this Friday? I thought it was a few months from now.
May 6th
Old 01-20-2016, 09:34 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfanciscotreat View Post
Here's hoping the current downturn is limited and temporary.
Best to retire into a rising market unless your income does not depend much on CG's
I agree. That's why I went the Cash/CD route to fund the first 10 years. Unless inflation goes nuts I don't plan to touch equities for 15 years. Now I just need to live that long!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #27

You're actually going to arrive in S FL in our coldest night yet of the year, going to be a low of 45 that night for me and lower inland or north a bit.

Ah well, still sunny and probably a lot warmer in the day!

Your next 3+ months are gonna feel loooooonnng but grats on holding firm for a date!
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
You're actually going to arrive in S FL in our coldest night yet of the year, going to be a low of 45 that night for me and lower inland or north a bit.

Ah well, still sunny and probably a lot warmer in the day!

Your next 3+ months are gonna feel loooooonnng but grats on holding firm for a date!
45 seems downright balmy up here in Michigan!
Old 01-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #29
gone traveling

Now I am really confused and I know it isn't my own fault.

You wrote, "Hopefully I'll be in South Florida by Saturday night." As written, that tends to mean THIS Saturday night as in January 23, 2016.

You then write that your retirement date is, "May 6th".

You then respond to Aerides remark re the temperature, "45 seems downright balmy". Again suggesting you mean this Saturday.

Either your vacation in Florida starting this Saturday has no relevance to your retirement and was included for no obvious reason, or you hope to be in Florida on the Saturday AFTER May 6th and your response re the temperature has no relevance to your retirement and arrival in Florida.

So now I have to ask, when are you going to Florida and does it have anything whatsoever to do with your retirement plan?
Old 01-20-2016, 04:33 PM   #30

In his opening post in the thread he said "first thing is a vacation" so I read that to mean that while he's put in his notice, he's also taking a week or so off now before the retirement date - figure there's some vacation time to burn off maybe?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Now I am really confused and I know it isn't my own fault.

You wrote, "Hopefully I'll be in South Florida by Saturday night." As written, that tends to mean THIS Saturday night as in January 23, 2016.

You then write that your retirement date is, "May 6th".

You then respond to Aerides remark re the temperature, "45 seems downright balmy". Again suggesting you mean this Saturday.

Either your vacation in Florida starting this Saturday has no relevance to your retirement and was included for no obvious reason, or you hope to be in Florida on the Saturday AFTER May 6th and your response re the temperature has no relevance to your retirement and arrival in Florida.

So now I have to ask, when are you going to Florida and does it have anything whatsoever to do with your retirement plan?
see post #22 which was directed to you.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:24 PM   #32

Congratulations!
Sending in your retirement notice in this environment is a testament to the planning you've put in. Good luck.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:00 AM   #33
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
In his opening post in the thread he said "first thing is a vacation" so I read that to mean that while he's put in his notice, he's also taking a week or so off now before the retirement date - figure there's some vacation time to burn off maybe?
This is getting even more confusing by the minute. Communication is an interesting thing. There is the message you intended to give, the message you thought you gave and the message someone heard. Not always all one and the same.

"I plan on taking the high road and leaving with no task undone and my reputation intact. First thing on the schedule, a long vacation in a warmer climate!"

That was in the OP. As I read it, the long vacation comes after the 'leaving'. The retirement will begin with a long vacation as the first thing on the schedule. It's one paragraph as written with 'first thing' therefore referring back to 'leaving'. Hence my question about has a ticket been bought.

Then came the Saturday comment: " Hopefully I'll be in South Florida by Saturday night."

Then came the retirement date: "May 6th" Followed by the temperature "quite balmy" comment.

So no, I don't read any week or so off now, in there Aerides. Not unless a 'week' constitutes a "long vacation". It's now reached the comedy of errors point. With you, me and now Alan, all having to guess at what was meant initially and the consequent comments confirming nothing.

It is not a big deal, never was, but it sure shows just how easily mis-communication can occur. Learning to communicate clearly is a skill just like any other skill. Never more so than when you only have the written words to work from. Body language and tone don't transmit from the written word. Whether you subscribe to the '7% rule' or not regarding how much of the message is in the words alone, the fact is that only part of the message will get through with words alone unless you are a clear communicator.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...n-numbers-game

So foxfirev5, in order to put this to bed, here is what I would like to hear from you. When are you going to Florida?

If this Saturday, it has nothing to do with your retirement and including it in your OP could have been omitted for clarity. If it is the Saturday after you retire then it could have been clearer by simply adding, 'the Saturday after I retire in May.'

In the end it's all much ado about nothing and I wish I had never commented. But having now gone this far, we might as well get it right.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In the end it's all much ado about nothing and I wish I had never commented.
+1

Quote:
But having now gone this far, we might as well get it right.
Why? Just let it go and cut foxfirev5 some slack.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:26 AM   #35

1. Monday put in notice
2. Going on vacation this week
3. Returning to work in February
4. Last day of work May 6th
Absolutely no plans beyond that.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
1. Monday put in notice
Thank you foxfirev5, that clears it all up.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #37
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Why? Just let it go and cut foxfirev5 some slack.
Why do you feel it is necessary to comment at all REWahoo? Presumably, you do what you think you should do. I do the same.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

For the same reason you choose to repeatedly interrogate the OP over an insignificant point.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
1. Monday put in notice
Best of luck, and thanks for the added extra-superclear reclarification.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:10 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
For the same reason you choose to repeatedly interrogate the OP over an insignificant point.
So you are saying we do something the same REWahoo. I'm not so sure about that.