Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

On The Road Again #1 - Taos, NM
Old 06-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

On The Road Again #1 - Taos, NM

I'm out and about again and am recovering from a hike up New Mexico's highest mountain. It was a 11hr round trip hike - 4,000ft elevation change - I don't know how many miles.

But this is one of the reasons why I RE'd. I don't know if I could have done this hike if I was 62, especially since I did it by myself. So if you are sitting of the fence about RE - jump off and get into life.

I feel so fortunate for the life I am being allowed to live.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (37.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (41.5 KB, 19 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dex, great job! That's a heck of a hike.

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

My tongue would be hanging out after that hike.

How do you like traveling alone? I'm single and plan to travel some with friends and some alone. I don't want to end up talking to my camera and rv like George. He is a hoot tho. The Adventures of Tioga and George
Old 06-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post

How do you like traveling alone? I'm single and plan to travel some with friends and some alone. I don't want to end up talking to my camera and rv like George. He is a hoot tho. The Adventures of Tioga and George
There is some kind of RV camping organization exclusively for singles, Loners On Wheels.

http://www.lonersonwheels.com/

I don't know anything about it, but it looks like it could be a good way to meet people and have some intermittent company on the road. They may tend to be an older crowd judging from some of the pictures on the web. Still company is company.

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
My tongue would be hanging out after that hike.

Dawg52,
I don't have a problem traveling alone. RVing is very safe - if you use the usual smarts. I have a Casita which is on the small side but there are many options out there. I would recommend two things - I buy the smallest you feel comfortable in and second buy used if you can. This will save you overall - purchase price and operating costs.

You do not tend to meet many people for a couple of reasons. One is that everyong has internet and cable in their units (I don't have TV) so when they are not doing the tourist thing they are inside. Another is that many people are either older than me (65+) or younger families traveling with children. This is the life you choose so live it!

I think there might be more opportunity if you are in a RV park with many fulltimers there for a month or so. But I haven't experinced it. If you must someone to have a meaningful conversation with it may be difficult. Something for you to consider.

I was out west for 3 months last year. I might do about the same in time but I'm thinking of spending longer in each place I visit.

-----
Coach,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm off to Colorado next to see if I can do a couple of 14ers. I needed to be in Taos to accomidate to the altitude.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Hi Dawg52,
This is George [Adventures of Tioga and George].

Thank you sooooooo much for tuning in to my Adventures!
TiogaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #7

Dex, I do admire you. I've lived in Colorado for 38 years and have yet to climb a fourteener. And the trailhead for the route up Pikes Peak is about 5 miles away You've got at least one terrific answer to the question, "What do you do all day?"

Please do be very cautious about lightening.

And hi to George, from another reader of his blog. It sounds like you're enjoying your time in Colorado too!

Coach
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Great job Dex!

George! Oh WoW! You are a legend in the RV world. It is a true pleasure to see you here and to read your posts. I follow your Blog form time to time and have learned a lot from you.

Hope to see you on the road some day. We are newbies to the RV world and have just started out in our new adventures and are quite tame by TiogaGeorge standards; but we are having a good time and that is what counts.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 PM   #9

Way to go Dex!

Brings back memory of hiking MT. Baldy (only a 12) - out of Cimmaron

Like Coach says be careful of lighting/rain up on the mountains...seemed to come-up all of a sudden in mid-afternoon when I was in RMNP . Take a water-proof jacket if you can.
But in any case enjoy! Look forward to your updates
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm in Buena Vista, Co. and tried to make it up Mt. Yale - I started lake and had to turn back because it looked like rain.

I'll be starting earlier tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

You forgot to mention a 4000' climb that started close to 8000' feet. GRatz!. Northern NM is one of my favorite places in the US. Just hanging at 7-8k elevation exhausts me.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote