Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retired nearly 4 years. I was working only 2 days a week before I ERed so it was not a big change to my daily lifestyle. The only surprise in those 4 years was the huge increase in the premiums of the original HI policy I bought in 2009. The premium went up 20% in 2010 and 25% more in 2011, for a 50% total increase compared to 2009. At that rate of increase, I'd be paying $10k a month by the time I turned 60! So I switched to a much less broad policy and cut my premiums until I can get one of those policies through the PPACA exchanges.

Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #22

I guess the biggest surprise is the increase in libido. I just didn't realize to what extent work and stress interfere with that aspect of one's life. I retired at 52, 62 now and its getting better all the time.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #23

Retired July 2007, biggest surprise was how stressed I was w*rking and did not realize until I FIREd. Nicest surprise is that it just gets better every day.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Biggest surprise - I managed to lose weight on my own! When I was working. I recall paying a sum of money to a slimming agency to do the magic which did not work. JUst exercise, good nutrition and home cooking does it perfectly. Have kept my weight loss for 6 months now and am confident I can maintain that loss.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #25

DH is the retired one here. The positive surprises have been how he hasn't gotten bored. He's learned to putter and play. He's stuck to a nice exercise routine that he enjoys. He thought he'd miss all his people interactions but finds he's liking not having them.

Income vs expenses has worked out better than expected. He still runs out of his monthly pocket money but that's just part of who he is and I doubt that will change. Ever.

On the negative side is the issue of health insurance. I've posted about this before. It's subsidized coverage through his pension plan and they are making changes that will cost us an additional $400/month in 2013 (no option for low cost/high deductible, we will all have to be on the high cost/low deductible plan) and then in 2014 they will no longer offer any coverage for spouses. We knew the plan could change and that it would probably cost more every year but we could not have forseen these drastic changes.

We are both still very happy that he's retired.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Fantastic thread!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Retired 25 months. My biggest surprised has been how fast days go by in retirement! When I was working, the days and weeks seemed to drag on and on... Now, I barely have enough hours in a day and days in a week to do, well you know, "nothing"!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Retired 25 months. My biggest surprised has been how fast days go by in retirement! When I was working, the days and weeks seemed to drag on and on... Now, I barely have enough hours in a day and days in a week to do, well you know, "nothing"!
I like how you encourage us do some math to keep our minds sharp.

Ms G retired 6 months before me, I have been retired for 2430 days. If we both left the train station in opposite directions who would get home first.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Layed off at age 49 (the plan was retirement at 63) - it took a while to make the mental shift from unemployed slacker to high class ER.

19 years and counting.

heh heh heh - this forum helped with my er mental development.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I like how you encourage us do some math to keep our minds sharp.

Ms G retired 6 months before me, I have been retired for 2430 days. If we both left the train station in opposite directions who would get home first.
Ah yes, numbers is hard.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #31

No surprises really. Unlike most others here, I didn't actually have a definitive beginning of retirement. I was laid off, spent 2 years on unemployment during which time it slowly began dawning on me that, gee - maybe I didn't need to go back to work after all? I've been living off my savings and investments for a year and a half now and it looks like this state of affairs will continue. I don't think of myself as retired - more like "semi-retired" or simply "a guy who doesn't work".

Anyway, I am an INTJ. My strong introversion means that seeing my SO once or twice a week is enough for me - that, and having a kitty around the place full-time. My main hobby is one that I pursue at home on my own, and it keeps me happy and engaged.

No big surprises but like others have said, I do wonder at how I was so committed to working for about 25 years. I also wonder at how it doesn't take much to fill up a day. By the time I've had breakfast, fed the kitty, checked e-mails etc and started on the main "task" of the day, the morning's half over and I'm already wondering what I'll have for a mid-morning snack, or lunch!

I have spent the majority of the last few years in my pajamas, but have recently started putting pants on some mornings. Well, you gotta make an effort
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Still on my honeymoon with retirement at 9 months in. My biggest revelation was just how lazy I could be. I can be completely satisfied rising later (ie 7:30), reading the paper over several cups of coffee, browsing more news and sports online, doing the housework (DW still goes to w*rk), taking the mutt for a walk... You get the picture. Sure, I've got a bunch of handyman chores I try to get to when I think of them, but there's always tomorrow. I honestly feel a twinge of guilt when DW gets home and asks "What did you do today". Like I suspect the vast majority of the members of this forum, I have had one job or another since mid-teens, so I guess I have been deluding myself all those years. Turns out I am perfectly content not being gainfully employed.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:29 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Two things I like much more than I thought I would, 18 months in. Sleeping until I wake up naturally, which is usually at day break. And the pure perverse pleasure I get at spending money without having to go to work. One thing that I don't like that also surprises me is how fast time is passing now. The weeks and months are zipping by so fast I can't keep up with what day it is half the time.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #34

My biggest surprise is realizing how insanely busy my life was for the 10 years before I REd. I just thought it was "normal" at the time. I have plenty to fill my days now and a list of to-dos if I get bored. And I love using my well-honed management skills in volunteer roles as well as a little consulting on the side.

Bottom line - the flexibility to do what I think is most important at any given time is priceless.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #35

Afternoon naps. Never did them. Never liked them. Went through every day with 6 hrs sleep. Now . . . a nap after lunch or around 4pm is the easiest thing in the world. Big surprise for me.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:12 AM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

My watch broke about a month before I retired. I never replaced it. That was over 10 years ago. I was always on the clock. My mother always said "If you are on time, you are late!" It has taken me many years to get that fear of being late partially out of my system. In retirement, I try to live unstructured days as much as possible. Sleep till I wake up now. I never bought a cell phone as I know that was a responsibility trap I didn't want to fall into. If someone wants to talk to me, they can call me on the home phone and the answering machine will get it. If I know who calls and want to talk to them, I will call them back. To this day, we only have a pay as you go phone for traveling.

Positive: We are saving money in retirement. Quite a bit of money and I am no financial planner. Extremely conservative (a bird in the hand is worth two in th bush) to maximize security. My wife then my dogs are my best buddies. Without a wonderful wife, retirement wouldn't be worth it. My dogs bring joy to every day.

Negative: Although my day to day life is quite unstressed, I find that I put pressure on myself to get projects done. The wife and I both had extremely stressful jobs and we still have dreams about the most stressful job situations like we were suddenly placed back in the old job and not qualified anymore to do the things we used to do.

I still remember the first day of retirement. It was the best day of my life as I felt a sense of freedom like nothing mattered anymore. At one point on that day, I drove down the road and just stopped at places I had never even considered going on a whim.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Just realized, after 5.5 yrs fired, that I still like Fridays and don't like Mondays.

Strange.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

I love Mondays! We live in an area that also attracts tourists though. They start showing up on thurs or Friday. Fun to see them packing up on Sunday. By Monday we have our Neighborhood back. It is much less crowded for us locals during the week. Don't get me wrong. I like the tourists too and it is good for our area. Just a littler nicer and easier to venture out during the week.

Very surprising that Fri is now a "bad day" while Monday is the best!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 PM   #39

The biggest surprise to us is that we're busier now than we were before retirement.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

Biggest surprise is mom wanting to move in with us. Never particularly had a close relationship and i believe living 14 hours away has been a good thing. Still she is a widow and I feel an obligation to watch out for her. We compromised by agreeing that she should buy a house in my neighborhood once she sells her house up north.

Other than that the biggest surprise is my lack of ambition. Thought I would volunteer or find a part time paying job just to keep busy. Although I am occasionally bored, I am very reluctant to obligate my time on an ongoing basis. I love the ability to take off on a moments notice or do nothing at all for days on end.