Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2012, 01:31 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The biggest suprise has been the difference between how I expected to spend my days, and how I am actually spending them. It's hard to anticipate what will come along and pique your interest.
Ditto

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan
Another surprise I have had to dance around, is a delicate balance between doing what I want to do, and incurring the wrath of my GF, as she is nowhere near retirement. Since she has just taken a new job, she only gets one week vacation, so she doesn't have any flexibility even when I'm able to spring for the cost. I think her happiness for me being retired ends when I do something she is not able to. I try not to overdo it, but I don't want to be a prisoner to my house either.
I am in a similar situation. My GF works a busy schedule, and all of my friends are working. The good news is I am totally flexible to adapt to their schedules. But in the meantime I have a lot of "me time".

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Only been FIREd for 6-9 months (FI 9 months, RE 6 months).

POSITIVE: Because I owned a business where I was ultimately responsible for almost 1,500 other peoples businesses across America and had to eat the stress that went along with that, I fully expected to still be pushy, focused, rushed, and edgy for a while. Didn't happen. I can't believe how quickly I was able to take my foot off the gas and spend afternoons just sitting on my patio, listening to jazz, and sipping local wine without any idea what time it was, day it was, or what else was going on in the world. Also, I used to feel like I had to pack as much punch as I could into my weekends because I wouldn't have time during the weeks to do anything. Now, there's ALWAYS tomorrow and I find that I enjoy the days where we do absolutely nothing even more than the days where we go shopping, driving, looking, etc.

NEGATIVE: Most of this is tied to the fact that I retired at 35 and moved to the Wine Country where a majority of the other retirees out here are almost twice my age (with exception), but I am getting kind of tired of the "RETIRED? You mean you're still lookin' for a job..." followed by "but you're too young to retire!" At first, it was cute but it's getting old already. I guess it's the feeling of having to DEFEND being retired on my own money at such a "young age."

NEUTRAL: Considering how much money we used to spend in Manhattan while I owned my business with no regard whatsoever for savings or budgets (because we could), I am stunned at how frugal we've become in retirement. We spent $56k on eating out in 2011 while I still owned my business. Now we eat at home 6 nights a week on less than $15 a meal. We buy no toys and never even discuss travel. I thought spending would speed up, but it has significantly slowed down.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g View Post

NEGATIVE: Most of this is tied to the fact that I retired at 35 and moved to the Wine Country where a majority of the other retirees out here are almost twice my age (with exception), but I am getting kind of tired of the "RETIRED? You mean you're still lookin' for a job..." followed by "but you're too young to retire!" At first, it was cute but it's getting old already. I guess it's the feeling of having to DEFEND being retired on my own money at such a "young age."
Maybe we should start the Bay Area Young Retiree Club.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #65
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Or "Bay Area Young Early Retirees", AKA "BAYER".

The solution to your headache, if w*rk gives you one ...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Or "Bay Area Young Early Retirees", AKA "BAYER".

The solution to your headache, if w*rk gives you one ...
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
+1

See my signature. I get this all the time and it is really getting OLD.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

1. Surprised how quickly new habits are formed.
2. I too like to start the day off with coffee and paper (online).
3. Still do not take my free time for granted.
4. So far, no financial surprises.

Retired Fall of 2011 @58 :)
vttlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
+1

Around here, folks just assume you're a trust fund baby. "Retired early" is what we say to be polite, even when there was never anything to retire from. It's call "quiet money".

Having said that, you don't owe them an answer when they ask. Make something up....like: 'Financial Management' (which would be true)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
+1

I rarely see anyone over the age of 60 where I live, so I don't think a lot of retirees live here. Hence, most people assume I work like everybody else. I don't try to persuade them otherwise.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #71

I know I wrote this here once before, but my reply to the "You're too young to retire" (see my signature line) is this:

"They say youth is wasted on the young.......I say retirement is wasted on the OLD!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a portfolio manager.

I have one customer.

He prefers that I do not divulge his name.

Not lying, just leading the questioner away from the truth.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
As long as there are no dues, meetings, or responsibilities beyond sitting on one's own patio and napping, I am fascinated by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
I'm a portfolio manager.

I have one customer.

Since my duties are more broad and include insurance, accounting, bill paying, retirement planning, etc in addition to portfolio management, I am a family CFO but still only have one client who prefers anonymity since he is a bit of a recluse.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
As long as there are no dues, meetings, or responsibilities beyond sitting on one's own patio and napping, I am fascinated by your ideas and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
Newsletter? Sounds like w*rk...
Old 09-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Newsletter? Sounds like w*rk...
Good point.

Let's go back outside. My wine's getting cold. Or hot. Or whatever it's not supposed to be.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyyou View Post
I'm a portfolio manager.

I have one customer.

Same for me. You are never too young to retire only too poor.

I first learned of retirement from my Great Grandmother. I saw old men in their overalls around the town square feeding the pigeons. I asked why they were not working. My Grandmaw said that when your were 65 you didn't have to work anymore. It sounded good to me! Next time I am there I am putting on my overalls and feeding the pigeons!

The town square is mostly parking lot now and I live 600 miles away. I guess I always wanted to recapture that carefree time when I was a pre school child with no worries.

I am there now.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by z-d-g
NEGATIVE: Most of this is tied to the fact that I retired at 35 and moved to the Wine Country where a majority of the other retirees out here are almost twice my age (with exception), but I am getting kind of tired of the "RETIRED? You mean you're still lookin' for a job..." followed by "but you're too young to retire!" At first, it was cute but it's getting old already. I guess it's the feeling of having to DEFEND being retired on my own money at such a "young age".
It's a real shame how judgmental people are.

I seriously doubt that you are going around opining that "everyone who works past age 40 (or whatever) is a fool" ... so it's unclear why people feel threatened by your choice, or why they feel they have the right to comment.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #79

Quote:
Only been FIREd for 6-9 months (FI 9 months, RE 6 months).

Maybe zdg just needs to move to an area where there are more similarly young, wealthy people around. Sounds like the locals can't wrap their heads around an early retiree.

In some parts, having to work until you're 'retirement age' makes you some sort of loser.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #80
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
...why they feel they have the right to comment.
I see you're new to this planet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Maybe zdg just needs to move to an area where there are more similarly young, wealthy people around.
I foresee a case of "affluenza"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote