Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Excellent observation that's underappreciated by many retirement planners. Bad stress at work can be as debilitating as any physical ailment, or even life-threatening (e.g. stress-related heart disease). Planners seem to assume most folks basically enjoy various aspects of their workplace & will miss it after retirement. IMHO- This may be not be true for current & future generations.
I was too burned out to go on. I am much happier now. What do I do all day? Whatever I want.

My wife said she thought I would be dead if I kept on working.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

Coming up on 3 years out....

Biggest positive - how much we are enjoying life. We are travelling, doing some remodel (ourselves for FUN), camping, babysitting g/kids (when WE want to)... just having a ball.

Biggest negative - I have had some bad health scares. RIGHT NOW, things are OK, but the potential that things COULD HAVE gone horribly awry had made us appreciate the decision to hang it up early.

Other surprises... SO BUSY. Honestly, between Church, a retiree group, friends, outings and so on... HOW THE HELL did I **EVER** find time to w*rk?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My advice HAS BEEN and STILL IS... hang it up the first day you are sure you can.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I thought about this question for awhile, and I think the biggest surprise was, when I was working, I watched life go by as I put in all the hours, efforts, etc. to be able to retire. Now coming up on my 5 year anniversary of retirement, I am fully engrossed in living. Whether it's exercise, cruising, playing poker, studying and researching on the computer, going out for dinner with friends, doing odd jobs, helping out a friend at his workplace, going dancing and a movie, taking an afternoon nap, playing with the kitty, calling friends from other states and catching up on their lives, or just watching a sunset on a lazy warm summer day, I am in the activity, and not just watching it. As the song says, "live like you're dying", thats after retirement, the dying part was before retirement.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whitestick,

I love your post. Thanks for typing that out.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #105
Recycles dryer sheets

Would you trade for a million dollars?

I'm just about ready to ER at 58, but then realized, that if I work 10 more years, I will earn/save at least another million. I've reached my FIRE goals, so that million would go to helping kids, and just more savings - I don't need anymore

So, would you trade 10 years of ER for a million?
Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #106
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I'm just about ready to ER at 58, but then realized, that if I work 10 more years, I will earn/save at least another million. I've reached my FIRE goals, so that million would go to helping kids, and just more savings - I don't need anymore

Personally, I wouldn't trade 10 DAYS of ER for a million $$. But, that is going to vary from individual to individual.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #107

Quote:

You pointed out our scenario, too.

The answer is a big NO, as I do not know if I will have another 10 years ... or one year...or one week of ER thereafter.

If I could make a deal with the future that thereafter I would have at least another 10 years with my DH, mom and other family, all of us in our today's health and with our today's state of mind, maybe.

We decided to join the class of 2013.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 AM   #108

I thought about this and I will give you my 100% honest answer.

My biggest surprise about early retirement is that I would spend so much of it dating girls in their 20s.

Before I moved abroad I had little idea of this but it has happened in every country where I have lived except for Colombia where I had a beautiful long-time girlfriend in her mid-30s who still ran marathons and went to the gym several times per week.

The only other surprise I could think of is that I expected to maintain a USA home base, but that has not been the least bit necessary and so my budget over the past 5 years has been less than anticipated.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #109
Dryer sheet aficionado

For those of you that have already retired, curious at what age you pulled the plug...
And if given the chance to do over, would you do it sooner or wait a little longer.

I've got a few years left and trying to learn what I can... Thanks...
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #110

Kramer

Are you wired for 1-20 or 2-20?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #111
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxeyweb View Post
For those of you that have already retired, curious at what age you pulled the plug...
Here ya go:

Poll: At What Age Did You Retire
Poll: At what age did/will you FIRE?
Poll: What Age Did You FIRE?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #112

Quote:

Given the condition you described, NO. The 10yrs are priceless, The extra million is worthless. Kids get whatever possessions you have left over, that should be enough.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #113

I would not and did not.

In any case my net worth should continue to climb in retirement anyway. A bit slower but I expect it to go up.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
I thought about this and I will give you my 100% honest answer.
My biggest surprise about early retirement is that I would spend so much of it dating girls in their 20s.
Me too, but gosh did my spouse complain about that...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Kramer

Are you wired for 1-20 or 2-20?
Steve: Thanks. This made coffee come out my nose as I was browsing after dinner.

Kramer: I used to dream of leading your life after retiring; now, the thought just makes me tired. Good for you, though.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

NOT ONE OF US knows for sure when our time is up. (with some diseases we MAY have a better inkling, but still - ANY ONE of us could "wake up dead" tomorrow")

THAT SAID, I stand by my advice - retire the first day you can financially do it. HOW you decide that trip point is VERY personal = we THOUGHT we needed more... Security ... i guess is the best word, but we have done FINE. My "goal" was that when the NET pension = net w*rking pay, pull the trigger. One point to consider - because of the SS tax of 7.65% you are already living on 92 1/2% of your gross. SO FAR it is working. DW got herself a (3 year gently used) BMW Z-4. We have traveled the pants off of ourselves and doing just fine. It is scary, but doable IF YOU PLAN.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

One more short story on the topic... I retired from a Large Municipal Utility District in Sacranemto that provides the electricity for the area - in the Treasury / Finance department. Back in 1989-90 there was a group of us who took walks at break time. One of our group was a fella named Bob who had been with the District since 1959. He was looking to retire ANY TIME. But always "one more quarter" increases his pension by X and his 457 plan by y. One more quarter. One more quarter. THEN he had a MASSIVE heart attack and ended up with a transpant. He is STILL with us (Thank God) but his retirement is WAY different than he planned.

IF you wait 10 years, THIS is certain - you will ABSOLUTELY have 10 years less in retirement. Perhaps none. AND you are robbing YOUNG years. Your life from, say, 55 - 65 **WILL** be different than life from 65 - 75. Different health. Diufferent abilities. GO WHILE YOU ARE YOUNG. Nuff said. YMMV
Old 11-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired 13 months ago at age 57 from the financial services industry ... Which had become the financial high pressure sales industry. Had lived a very conservative lifestyle in an effort to be able to say "screw it" if I got fed up ... And I did.

Haven't regretted a minute of it. We took advantage of the crashed housing prices to move close to the ocean (3 miles) and spend our days in the spring and summer at the beach. Fall and winter are for travel ... Mostly day trips ... There is so much more here than we ever would have guessed.

Only surprise is how quickly I was able to slow down.

And no, the extra million wouldn't have been worth working even another one year.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #119
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolChange

Steve: Thanks. This made coffee come out my nose as I was browsing after dinner.

Kramer: I used to dream of leading your life after retiring; now, the thought just makes me tired. Good for you, though.
I have to agree with you, Cool. I dated many twenty something's when I was in my late 30s. 10 years later, the thought just wears me out, and I am sure they wouldn't be too keen on the idea either! Very happy to have found one my age, now.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #120
Recycles dryer sheets

10 years for a million

Thanks for all the responses. I realized once I posted how stupid that must have sounded and is. Yes I agree that 10 years of early retirement while we still have our health in no way can equal money that would just end up as inheritance. Class of 2013 is still on! Just waiting to see when they will send me home - we are expats in Australia, and looks like it will be January or February. So homesick....think I will go upstairs and pack!