Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I realized once I posted how stupid that must have sounded and is.
You were just falling back into traditional thinking for a minute....
but we jumped in quickly to help you out.

chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #122
gone traveling
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Me too, but gosh did my spouse complain about that...
Yeah, i have that same problem, five timezones east of you ...

OTOH, once I was free from the daily grind, I fell in love with DW all over again. Some couples have a problem when one/both retire; we didn't...

rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
One of my biggest surprises is that I am spending a lot more time thinking about optimizing (income) taxes than I did when I was working. When I was working, I was salaried and most of my income was W-2 income so there wasn't much I could do other than max out the 401k/HSA, etc, fill out the forms and pay the amount due.

Now, with virtually no income other than dividends and capital gain distributions on taxable accounts, the possibility of 0% capital gains, Roth conversions, optimizing property tax relief, etc all come into play so I'm spending more time tax planning then I ever did.

One thing might be that I have the time to "play" around with it more than when i worked, so I do.

I play a hell of a lot more golf too.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I realized once I posted how stupid that must have sounded and is. Yes I agree that 10 years of early retirement while we still have our health in no way can equal money that would just end up as inheritance. Class of 2013 is still on! Just waiting to see when they will send me home - we are expats in Australia, and looks like it will be January or February. So homesick....think I will go upstairs and pack!
My situation is somewhat similar to yours, and I would definitely not trade 10 yrs for another $1M. An extra 10 yrs of work for an extra ~$3k/mo (3.6% SWR from $1M) is a $h!++ deal, especially for the years btwn ~55-65.

As an expat in Australia, it sounds like you might do something related to the mining industry. If so, better pack quickly; seems we're entering the down part of the cycle, and expats are the first to be jettisoned go.

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote