Join Early Retirement Today

One Month FIRED- a 30-day update
Old 07-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

One Month FIRED- a 30-day update

June 3rd was my final day. I retired for several reasons- mainly my health and that the job was taking much more than it gave.

The first 2 weeks of retirement were spent on the beach in Mexico with friends. Not surprisingly, work did not suddenly switch "off" and retirement switch "on". I had several sleepless nights and some anxiety about work and life. Over the course of the vacation, it began to dawn on me that I don't have to go back to work (my friends and wife did). I found myself breaking into large grins at the thought of no more work.
Upon returning home, I immediately headed to the gym. Over the last 8 years, I have put on quite a bit of weight and developed significantly high BP. Getting healthy is my number 1 priority in retirement. I enjoy working out so this should not be an issue. A bit worried about developing diabetes also.
I began a few small house projects, including setting up my home office where I anticipate spending much of my time.
Over the last week, I have begun sleeping better and longer (that really surprised me). I still take 2 benedryl every night but plan on weaning myself off of that over the next few months.
I was a big cigar smoker. I only have a few left in the humidor and and quitting those as soon as they are gone (sniff, sniff, tears)

All-in-all, it has been a great beginning to retirement.
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I can assure you, as time goes on, you will think less and less about w*rk. For me, retirement has been the greatest blessing in my life...I truly had NO idea how great it would be. Sure, I knew it would be pretty nice, but the absolute joy of it? Wow...I cant' really put it into words.

Good job on getting on the "healthy" bandwagon. Retirement should be the best time of your life, and being healthy is key in attaining 100% enjoyment from it!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still break out into big grins when I think about no more work ! You are off to a great start. Soon retirement will seem "normal". I barely remember working, and I've only been retired a year.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! We had the same final day. 5 week anniversary today! I am slowly starting to relax as well. Full afterburner to idle takes a bit of time to slow down.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Backdraft57 is offline   Reply With Quote