Join Early Retirement Today

One Month to Go and It's Getting Stressful
Old 05-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

One Month to Go and It's Getting Stressful

Somehow it seems fairly simple. Quit work and go sailing. All done 30 days from now.

Just have to finish up all the work projects, get the mast back in the boat and service the engines, pack up the house and put things in storage. It will all be great if it doesn't kill me.

There is nobody I can turn to and tell them how difficult my life is retiring at age 53 and moving onto a beautiful boat to sail away to beaches and palm trees and live off my portfolio. So I guess I'll just suck it up and get it done!

If I had to do it again, I think I would space things out a little more. But I'm definitely not doing one more year...
Going Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Living the dream! Sounds nice!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, you seem to know what you want. That alone is huge. Now all you have to do is do it. Some people live their whole life not knowing what they want, and they die on the job. I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do, but I did know what I didn't want to do. I didn't want to work anymore.

I would say at this point you are so close you can almost taste it.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

Congrats. I'm about 90 days out from my "earliest" ER date. I may OMY due to unvested RSUs that are pretty compelling, but am working to at least get to the next vest in August, then all bets are off as to what I might do..
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Sailing View Post
Just have to finish up all the work projects, get the mast back in the boat and service the engines, pack up the house and put things in storage. It will all be great if it doesn't kill me.
Right now, I'd suggest just focusing on finishing up all the work projects.

After you retire, you'll have all the time in the world to get the rest done, at your leisure.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

After you retire, you'll have all the time in the world to get the rest done, at your leisure.

You sound like his boss!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
You sound like his boss!
Not me!! I guess I should have said,

"Right now, I'd suggest just focusing on finishing up all the work projects if you actually want to do that before you retire. And forget the rest for now"!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Some people live their whole life not knowing what they want, and they die on the job. I didn't exactly know what I wanted to do, but I did know what I didn't want to do. I didn't want to work anymore.
To paraphrase Thoreau; Most men lead lives of quiet desperation, and take their song to the grave.

For you and yours, we wish you fair winds and following seas
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
There is nobody I can turn to and tell them how difficult my life is retiring at age 53 and moving onto a beautiful boat to sail away to beaches and palm trees and live off my portfolio. So I guess I'll just suck it up and get it done!

Please do come here and share your great sailing stories.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

What happens if you don’t finish those work projects in 30 days? I’m guessing there are no ramifications. Maybe there’s a little pride involved, but I guarantee in a couple of months you won’t have any regrets if you walked away without finishing them.
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
What happens if you don’t finish those work projects in 30 days? I’m guessing there are no ramifications. Maybe there’s a little pride involved, but I guarantee in a couple of months you won’t have any regrets if you walked away without finishing them.
Actually I own 20% of the company and if I don't finish an inventory of next generation prototypes the rest of the gang will have a lot of nice theories and nothing to test with. I have to give them a fighting chance to get to the next level so I can upgrade to a newer cat in the Mediterranean when I've reached the end of the Pacific cruise and don't want to do all that upwind work or cross the Indian Ocean.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

Not quite true. Life will be all about fixing the boat in exotic places, but the coast between Vancouver and San Francisco is adventurous enough that I need to have the boat in decent shape before we go. And we need to hit the summer weather windows or things get uncomfortable.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:01 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually I own 20% of the company and if I don't finish an inventory of next generation prototypes the rest of the gang will have a lot of nice theories and nothing to test with. I have to give them a fighting chance to get to the next level so I can upgrade to a newer cat in the Mediterranean when I've reached the end of the Pacific cruise and don't want to do all that upwind work or cross the Indian Ocean.

Well geez, now I feel stressed
enginerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I know how you're feeling. I'm nearing the end of a complicated really stressful project. I'm down to 30 working days, 6 Mondays, unless I take one of them off. I too own a good portion of the company and want to make sure the work on this is done and done right. Its a pride thing too but they will be paying me out for 9 more years after this year so I want them to be very successful. Congrats on the sailing adventure sound really awesome. I will be glad just to spend some time on my little fishing boat. It hasn't had much use the last 3 years but I plan to try and wear it out starting in August. It will be nice fishing during the week and skipping the crowds on the weekends.
68bucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:20 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Not quite true. Life will be all about fixing the boat in exotic places, but the coast between Vancouver and San Francisco is adventurous enough that I need to have the boat in decent shape before we go. And we need to hit the summer weather windows or things get uncomfortable.
The best weather will be in August. As you get further south, the sea will be warmer. I think you have plenty of time as long as you stay focused.

We are headed from Vancouver to San Miguel Allende mid-Oct then driving with friends to PV in November for the season. Let us know when you will be there.