Join Early Retirement Today

One More Remodel
Old 05-06-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One More Remodel

Closed on a house in Scottsdale, Az today. Going to be quite a remodel job but in the end it will be well worth it.

Next week we head back to Colorado to put the house there on the market. When it sells, or November, whichever comes first we will relocate to Az full time. While the new house is being remodeled we will live in our current home in Scottsdale. Once the remodel is complete we will list the current Az house.

Net net we will end up with a very nice 3500 sq ft home on the golf course. Close to our friends and our clubhouse. No more carrying two sets of expenses. No more mortgage to pay. A much simpler life.

When it gets unbearably hot here we will travel to cooler climates with all of the money we are saving by not having two residences.

This will be the fifth remodel I have been through...and the last!

Here's our view off the back patio:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140220185113606055000000-o.jpg (165.9 KB, 53 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #2

Congrats! Nice view- if you love golf.
I play golf too & visit the Valley more than everywhere else combined. But if I moved to AZ, would prefer a backyard with a more open view of the desert scenery. To each their own. Enjoy!
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Congrats! Nice view- if you love golf.
I play golf too & visit the Valley more than everywhere else combined. But if I moved to AZ, would prefer a backyard with a more open view of the desert scenery. To each their own. Enjoy!
Thanks Hoosier! Yes, the desert is beautiful. We will have a desert landscape once we are done. Also have a view of Mcdowell Mtn Range. Plenty of desert to look at in the area...not so much water and grass.

As you say...to each their own!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats! Great view. Hopefully we will follow in your footsteps someday. Buy a Scottsdale house and sell our Scottsdale condo and Illinois house
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Mmmm. Scottsdale. Congrats!
WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:22 PM   #6

Very nice! I am about 7 yrs behind you.

JDARNELL
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Closed on a house in Scottsdale, Az today. Going to be quite a remodel job but in the end it will be well worth it.

Next week we head back to Colorado to put the house there on the market. When it sells, or November, whichever comes first we will relocate to Az full time. While the new house is being remodeled we will live in our current home in Scottsdale. Once the remodel is complete we will list the current Az house.

Net net we will end up with a very nice 3500 sq ft home on the golf course. Close to our friends and our clubhouse. No more carrying two sets of expenses. No more mortgage to pay. A much simpler life.

When it gets unbearably hot here we will travel to cooler climates with all of the money we are saving by not having two residences.

This will be the fifth remodel I have been through...and the last!

Here's our view off the back patio:
If you dont mind sharing, how do you go about determining the return on investment of a remodel -- gut feel or do you have a method for penciling it out?

Edit: In other words, how do you determine whether you'll get back the money put into the renovation.
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
gone traveling

Congrats RockyMtn ... I know when we went from two houses to one it was quite the relief. Remarkable how expenses were trimmed when that happened.

zedd ... for us the work we put into our retirement home has nothing to do with return of investment and everything to do with quality of life.
Mr. Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd View Post
If you dont mind sharing, how do you go about determining the return on investment of a remodel -- gut feel or do you have a method for penciling it out?

Edit: In other words, how do you determine whether you'll get back the money put into the renovation.
Given this will be our primary, and only house, I'm not overly concerned about ROI. But since you asked I run a few numbers to make sure I am not overbuilding for the neighborhood.....

I calculate the cost per sq. ft. based on the original purchase price. Then I add in the cost of the remodel and the sq. ft. that we will ultimately end up with (we are adding a casita). Then I compare the newly remodeled cost per sq ft with what other updated homes in the neighborhood are selling for. As long as I'm in the ball park on resale comps I'm comfortable that we will get back the money that we put into it.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
gone traveling

Great view, will you have your own golf cart to get over to the club house?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Great view, will you have your own golf cart to get over to the club house?
No private carts allowed at our course. The picture shows the 8th green. 160 yard par 3, 9th hole is my walk to the clubhouse.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Given this will be our primary, and only house, I'm not overly concerned about ROI. But since you asked I run a few numbers to make sure I am not overbuilding for the neighborhood.....

I calculate the cost per sq. ft. based on the original purchase price. Then I add in the cost of the remodel and the sq. ft. that we will ultimately end up with (we are adding a casita). Then I compare the newly remodeled cost per sq ft with what other updated homes in the neighborhood are selling for. As long as I'm in the ball park on resale comps I'm comfortable that we will get back the money that we put into it.
Your reply was helpful. Thank you
zedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Net net we will end up with a very nice 3500 sq ft home on the golf course.
Congrats. At 3500 sq ft do you think you will have enough space?

Don't envy you with the remodel, we are finishing one now. We have not gone the one home route yet but like you live on an AZ golf course albeit 1/3 your size.
check6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by check6 View Post
Congrats. At 3500 sq ft do you think you will have enough space?

Don't envy you with the remodel, we are finishing one now. We have not gone the one home route yet but like you live on an AZ golf course albeit 1/3 your size.
Lots of family....what can I say. Three bedrooms and an office are required otherwise I would have been very happy with about 1/3 less space.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Enjoy the remodel! Even though it is stressful, the fact you will be in town and not living in it during the process certainly makes it much less so. I actually enjoyed a lot of our remodel 4 years ago in similar circumstances - although how I managed it while w*rking 60 hour weeks seems incredible in hindsight. I love showing before and after pictures to visitors (I went a bit OCD and did a full scrapbook of it!). So we'll look forward to some pics here, please!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote