Join Early Retirement Today

One of my old co-w*rkers FIRED
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my old co-w*rkers FIRED

Got a call from an old co-w*rker yesterday who is coming to town for labor day weekend. He's going to stay with us and use one of my vehicles while I'm at w*rk.

Turns out he FIRED 10/30/15. He's the same age as I, 52 and was a LBYMer/saver/investor ever since I've known him, which has been about 22 years.

I told him to join the forum so he could give some of the younger folks tips on how he did it.

No, I'm not that jelly....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Great news. I was very happy that after I cut the cord I was able to help five other co-w*rkers understand they could do the same.

The best one was a guy who insisted he'd wait to 59.5. His dad was nearing the end and he had to take off during the process. Based on new information he'd been looking at his finances differently. After all was over his first day back no condolences from his manager. Instead he got "your project was late cause of you taking off, what are you going to do to get it back on schedule?". He left the meeting, called his SO, returned to his manager with resignation in hand! He's mentioned that he's had an extra 3 years of freedom based on new knowledge(most from here) and an a$$hat mangler.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Well there you go, stay with friends at no cost and borrow one of their cars, this guy has LBYM down to a science.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well there you go, stay with friends at no cost and borrow one of their cars, this guy has LBYM down to a science.
well that was my idea (we have two bedrooms we don't use and I have a spare vehicle) - now DW is making me clean up the yard/house again
Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well that was my idea (we have two bedrooms we don't use and I have a spare vehicle) - now DW is making me clean up the yard/house again
No good deed shall go unpunished....
Old 08-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Hopefully he lives in a place you would like to visit.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:50 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
We live in LA and have friends in Seattle. They do that for us and we gladly reciprocate.

I know there are websites like Home Exchange, but I've thought about a website where there would be cells of 5 couples who did something like this, and then have the cells intermingle with each other.

With credit card hacking and earning free flights, a free car and a place to stay really can make a vacation pretty cheap. Seems like a way to make new friends too.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hopefully he lives in a place you would like to visit.
no, he lives in Dallas...
Old 08-17-2016, 02:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I love everything about this thread. Thanks for sharing!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:45 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

[QUOTE=Elbata;1770120]We live in LA and have friends in Seattle. They do that for us and we gladly reciprocate.

I know there are websites like Home Exchange, but I've thought about a website where there would be cells of 5 couples who did something like this, and then have the cells intermingle with each other.

With credit card hacking and earning free flights, a free car and a place to stay really can make a vacation pretty cheap.

Great ideas. Thanks!!

Actually, now that I think of it, old friends and I have a similar, informal arrangement. It's always planned in terms of "catching up with each other," but the vacation realities are (in fact) quite LBYM! I have best friends and close family members who live in San Diego Co., Fresno, the San Joaquin Valley, the Bay Area, and Marin Co. (all in CA). Others hail from upstate NY, FL, Maryland and Iowa. We all want to see each other whenever there's a chance (or someone is swinging through on some other trip). Bottom line: we all stay with each other, enjoy going to the local sights, and cook for each other in our kitchens. We drive each other to the places we want the visitor to see. And we stay up too late drinking wine (bought on sale), or indulging in too much dessert, and/or sitting by whichever body of water is local (Pacific Ocean? Hudson River? Atlantic Ocean? Lake Erie or Ontario? or the Cuyahoga River....or the American River).

Basically, these visits are simple extensions of friendships started in college, at family events, at schools where I taught, or in former neighborhoods. Everybody loves where everybody else lives. So, it's all win/win. See the friend, and enjoy that place!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I never had any luck influencing my co-w*rkers to LBYM and ER. One guy did ER, but was living on 8% WDR. Had to go back to w*rk after the Great Recession. Other former co-w*rkers have not been able to hide their envy since they still w*rk and I've been retired for 10 years. I'm not one to say "I told you so." But I did try to push them in the right direction. They simply could not focus on the future. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm the only one in my office that is LBYM. People constantly complaining about money, but they are all house rich and cash poor. Remodeled kitchens, remodeled entire basements, and they spend frivolously.

Money has never been and never will be a status symbol to me, it has always meant freedom!
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I never had any luck influencing my co-w*rkers to LBYM and ER. One guy did ER, but was living on 8% WDR. Had to go back to w*rk after the Great Recession. Other former co-w*rkers have not been able to hide their envy since they still w*rk and I've been retired for 10 years. I'm not one to say "I told you so." But I did try to push them in the right direction. They simply could not focus on the future. YMMV

Same here. Just blank looks if I ever go near the subject.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote