Join Early Retirement Today

One of the blessings of FIRE
Old 09-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of the blessings of FIRE

Found out today I'm going to be a grandfather for the first time around middle March. I feel so blessed and am so happy I'll be able to help them along with some financial help. They live in New Mexico and I'm in Pennsylvania. I guess a lot of my vacation plans just got changed. But I want to set up a college fund first. Any suggestions?

Enjoying life!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I set up 529 plans for my grandchildren
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Ditto. Research the various state's programs online. They vary greatly. I went with NY
cj1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I had a PA 529 for my son and it was terrible. I hope there are better ones out there.

Enjoying life!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! Being a grandparent is the best .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thanks! We're really excited!
It looks to me like Utah has one of the highest rated 529 plans and use Vanguard funds. Has anyone used the Utah plan before? Can a 529 be opened before the birth or do I have to wait until the baby has a social security number to be listed as a beneficiary? I'm just thinking we're heading into a downturn in the market and investing this fall may be a good time.

Enjoying life!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:55 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Internet Guide to Funding College and Section 529 College Savings Plans. Savingforcollege.com is a great website for researching 529 plans.

And yes, you can open a 529 plan prior to birth, but you will need to designate someone else as the beneficiary and then change the beneficiary once child is born.

As a PA resident, any money you put into a 529 plan is deductible on your PA state tax return, not to exceed the federal gift exclusion and not to exceed your reported PA taxable income. Each spouse is treated as a separate person regarding these limits. Doesn't matter what state sponsors the plan.

I live in PA but used the Utah plan for last 14 years but recently transferred the funds to the Colorado Stable Value 529 plan as one is currently in college, the other boy is a year away.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Our son, who lives is Texas, opened a Utah 529 plan almost 5 years ago when our grandson was born. He did a lot of research for what he felt was the best plan for their circumstances. He set it up after our grandson's birth. We contributed the initial funding and do deposits for birthdays and Christmas. He has been happy with the account. I hope that helps you.
Want2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2rv View Post
Our son, who lives is Texas, opened a Utah 529 plan almost 5 years ago when our grandson was born. He did a lot of research for what he felt was the best plan for their circumstances. He set it up after our grandson's birth. We contributed the initial funding and do deposits for birthdays and Christmas. He has been happy with the account. I hope that helps you.

Yes, The Utah plan seems to be the way to go. I'll do a more thorough due diligence on them, but with this apparent market downturn a good time to invest may be here soon.

Enjoying life!