Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow - your story brings back memories of my 2008-9. I retired as an 05 as well after completing the 3 yrs time in rank. Retirement date: 1 Nov 2009 with permissive and terminal leave that put me into July. I got a kick out of reading about the question regarding your Officer Eval Report - I had the same one. I can't even remember if I got one. I remember telling the boss not to worry about it.

The year leading to the retirement date was tough - there was a lot of anticipation to living an easier, less stressful life, but the workload didn't decline as I got nearer to the final date.

Like you, I wasn't sure about working after leaving the military. And one year after retiring, I still haven't returned to work (registered nurse) - I have no strong desire or need for extra income. I miss some of the camaraderie, but not the daily work stressors. The first year into retirement we by quickly - bought a new residence, traveled to see family, visited a few other cities, and have just relaxed. I've rediscovered several hobbies (Tennis, golf, photography, travel, music, sports) - trying to make up for lost time in deployments, long work days/weekends, etc.

There have been times when sitting in a golf cart, enjoying the Florida sun, I think about the likelihood that I would probably be in Afghanistan or Iraq had I continued on. I didn't leave the Army necessarily to avoid deploying, but not having to live in those conditions is an added plus.

Good luck with your upcoming year - at times it'll seem like the final day is sooooo far away - but it'll come up on you quickly.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oma View Post
Wow - your story brings back memories of my 2008-9. I retired as an 05 as well after completing the 3 yrs time in rank. Retirement date: 1 Nov 2009 with permissive and terminal leave that put me into July. I got a kick out of reading about the question regarding your Officer Eval Report - I had the same one. I can't even remember if I got one. I remember telling the boss not to worry about it.

The year leading to the retirement date was tough - there was a lot of anticipation to living an easier, less stressful life, but the workload didn't decline as I got nearer to the final date.

Like you, I wasn't sure about working after leaving the military. And one year after retiring, I still haven't returned to work (registered nurse) - I have no strong desire or need for extra income. I miss some of the camaraderie, but not the daily work stressors. The first year into retirement we by quickly - bought a new residence, traveled to see family, visited a few other cities, and have just relaxed. I've rediscovered several hobbies (Tennis, golf, photography, travel, music, sports) - trying to make up for lost time in deployments, long work days/weekends, etc.

There have been times when sitting in a golf cart, enjoying the Florida sun, I think about the likelihood that I would probably be in Afghanistan or Iraq had I continued on. I didn't leave the Army necessarily to avoid deploying, but not having to live in those conditions is an added plus.

Good luck with your upcoming year - at times it'll seem like the final day is sooooo far away - but it'll come up on you quickly.
Hey Oma,

Thanks for your comments. I will have 3 yrs TIG on the retirement date. That is enough. I have enjoyed my time (for the most part) but its time to go on and do something else.

I think I am mentally ready for the transition and really am not to stressed about it. There seems to be a lot of paperwork to get done. I must admit it doesn't seem to pressing. I will get to it.

My greater concern at this point is trying to not get overloaded with all the things coming up and all the possibilities. I am intentionally letting things hang out there to slow me down.

I can appreciate what you are saying about deploying again. I was actually tagged for this upcoming Feb and agreed to go again. In some ways it is hard to say no and I was pretty indifferent. Then my unit pushed back and it went to the next person. Looking at it now there was really no reason to go again. Someone else can have the "opportunity." I was telling someone today that I have had some great experiences and got to do things that I would have never dreamed of getting to do. However in many ways it came at a huge price.

Tomcat98