Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2015, 01:31 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I pulled the pin at 42...and I did mean to do a 1 year ER anniversary post here too! I have been busy in my first year of FREEDOM...but the difference between the OLD busy and the NEW busy is that now I'm busy doing EXACTLY what I want...EVERYDAY. Large doses of exercise, gardening (a new thing for me), reading (largely about exercise and gardening!)...and yes, kayaking with my orca friends here in the PNW.

You know how in certain aspects of our lives the EXPECTATIONS (and I had been building these up for YEARS!) do not end up living up to the REALITY? This has NOT been the case, even remotely.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2015, 10:18 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for sharing. These insights are wonderful to read.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Your golf game hasn't improved as much? Hmmm, that's something I need to reset my expectation. I was counting on to improve on my golf game by a lot when I retire.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post

You know how in certain aspects of our lives the EXPECTATIONS (and I had been building these up for YEARS!) do not end up living up to the REALITY? This has NOT been the case, even remotely.
I'll chime in. 5 months as of 10/15. Nothing is as I expected it to be, then again, I'm not sure I had any conscious expectations.

First 3,4 months were a whirlwind of projects that had been long delayed while singlemindedly focusing on attaining retirement: car selling and new car buying, the "thrill" of house remodeling (but am quite pleased with it now that it's over), shopping all insurances, reviewing/updating/further safeguarding all important documents, etc., etc. During this time I was resentful at being so busy versus the expectation that retirement was supposed to be a time of leisure. Even though things have slowed down dramatically, I have an upcoming dentist appointment and am moving up a spring project to get a colonoscopy this month.

Biggest surprise: I had planned to do a bit of consulting, contracting, or consulting work and for the first time in my life am unable to motivate myself. Never expected this. It's like I never "worked", as my new "job" has become continually enhancing my own life. I've found it tremendously gratifying to work on me stuff that always got little or no attention before due to time constraints. Right now working on transition plan for the next 4 years when I move from here and into the next exciting new life phase.

Finally, no desire at this point for any kind of adventure, travel, vacation or otherwise. Recently realized I am still in the decompression stage and love long, slow mornings, naps, and long, slow afternoons and evenings.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:23 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

One year three months. Doing well enough. I didn't miss work a bit. I actually enjoy some slow time. I just turned 65.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Your golf game hasn't improved as much? Hmmm, that's something I need to reset my expectation. I was counting on to improve on my golf game by a lot when I retire.
Based on what you posted on another thread about how much you already play/practice, you may also be in for a disappointment. I was playing about 100 rounds per year before retirement but really wasn't practicing much. I was hoping to increase practice time after ER. Total rounds this year may be about 150 - and I think that's a good number for me. I've got to become a more effective practicer, however.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Based on what you posted on another thread about how much you already play/practice, you may also be in for a disappointment. I was playing about 100 rounds per year before retirement but really wasn't practicing much. I was hoping to increase practice time after ER. Total rounds this year may be about 150 - and I think that's a good number for me. I've got to become a more effective practicer, however.

+1 that we need to be more efficient, and effective at what we practice. Taking lessons and doing recommended drills seem to work best. But taking lessons will stop once I retire. My retirement budget has no room for golf lessons.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
+1 that we need to be more efficient, and effective at what we practice. Taking lessons and doing recommended drills seem to work best. But taking lessons will stop once I retire. My retirement budget has no room for golf lessons.
You both probably started with lower handicaps than me but, I've seen a marked improvement in my play since retiring. I'm convinced it's directly related to: (1) practice and, (2) lessons, especially lessons.

DW's birthday present to me this year was a series of lessons which I got to select. I chose GolfTec and have been very pleased. It's a methodical, data based system with lots of video bay practice time for instant feedback. My HI has gone down 2 strokes in less than 2 mos, and I can tell I have lots of improvement left. I'd highly recommend a series of lessons.

I'd link this to the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread but, I don't know how to do that.

CAN WE GET SOME MODERATOR HELP? [MOD Note: This post has been copied to the Golf Talk Tuesday thread. However, FYI, you'll usually have better luck if you PM us.]
Old 10-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
Biggest surprise: I had planned to do a bit of consulting, contracting, or consulting work and for the first time in my life am unable to motivate myself. Never expected this.
Yeah, when I left I thought I'd get a PT job somewhere. A friend said her company (major provider of mutual funds) hired part-timers for phone service, to help people move in and out of funds in their employer 401(k)s, no selling involved. About a week after retiring (May, 2014) I realized I absolutely did not want to go back to a schedule of any sort. I haven't changed my mind!
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, when I left I thought I'd get a PT job somewhere. A friend said her company (major provider of mutual funds) hired part-timers for phone service, to help people move in and out of funds in their employer 401(k)s, no selling involved. About a week after retiring (May, 2014) I realized I absolutely did not want to go back to a schedule of any sort. I haven't changed my mind!
I may have mentioned somewhere that I have a PT gig but: 1) it is very part time (maybe 200 hours/year?) and 2) the scheduling is all mine. I agree that I never want to have any kind of external schedule imposed on me again.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:45 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

22 months for me as of 10/1....

Social life leaves a lot to be desired as I'm only 34 and all of my friends still work regular jobs. I originally thought the excitement for the weekend would go away but it is still there in a different way. Now I am excited for the weekend so I can spend time with my working friends.

I am finding that I'm in need of some sort of schedule. But not a strict schedule as I don't have any desire to be held to specific timing each day. This makes it hard to figure this desire out.

Lately I've been spending way too much time on the computer, mainly on ER blogs/forums and investing forums.

I've found my interests seem to go in cycles. I'll be interested in home remodeling projects for a couple months, then I'll get sick of it. I'll switch to gardening, then get sick of it. Switch to focusing on managing investments, then get sick of it. Rinse, repeat.

We have a 5 month old baby and my wife is now home as well. We absolutely love the amount of time we get to spend bonding with our son.

Never ever would want to go back to a structured 9-5 job again.

Our biggest desire of all would be to befriend some couples in Minnesota who are in our same position and that have similar values in life. So far we are the only sub-50 people we know who are in our position so that is making it hard.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
We have a 5 month old baby and my wife is now home as well. We absolutely love the amount of time we get to spend bonding with our son.

Our biggest desire of all would be to befriend some couples in Minnesota who are in our same position and that have similar values in life. So far we are the only sub-50 people we know who are in our position so that is making it hard.
Time to leverage that kiddo into some adult friends for you, dude.

I'm the same age as you roughly, and most of my friends still work to some extent but many are free during traditional working hours due to flexible schedule, layoffs, self employment, not working because they are caring for their kids, etc. I'm still mostly a solitary creature and don't set up social outings with friends more than a few times during the traditional work week.