One year anniversary of ER, reflections

Your golf game hasn't improved as much? Hmmm, that's something I need to reset my expectation. I was counting on to improve on my golf game by a lot when I retire.

Based on what you posted on another thread about how much you already play/practice, you may also be in for a disappointment. I was playing about 100 rounds per year before retirement but really wasn't practicing much. I was hoping to increase practice time after ER. Total rounds this year may be about 150 - and I think that's a good number for me. I've got to become a more effective practicer, however.

Based on what you posted on another thread about how much you already play/practice, you may also be in for a disappointment. I was playing about 100 rounds per year before retirement but really wasn't practicing much. I was hoping to increase practice time after ER. Total rounds this year may be about 150 - and I think that's a good number for me. I've got to become a more effective practicer, however.

+1 that we need to be more efficient, and effective at what we practice. Taking lessons and doing recommended drills seem to work best. But taking lessons will stop once I retire. My retirement budget has no room for golf lessons.

+1 that we need to be more efficient, and effective at what we practice. Taking lessons and doing recommended drills seem to work best. But taking lessons will stop once I retire. My retirement budget has no room for golf lessons.

You both probably started with lower handicaps than me but, I've seen a marked improvement in my play since retiring. I'm convinced it's directly related to: (1) practice and, (2) lessons, especially lessons.

DW's birthday present to me this year was a series of lessons which I got to select. I chose GolfTec and have been very pleased. It's a methodical, data based system with lots of video bay practice time for instant feedback. My HI has gone down 2 strokes in less than 2 mos, and I can tell I have lots of improvement left. I'd highly recommend a series of lessons.

I'd link this to the "Golf Talk Tuesdays" thread but, I don't know how to do that.

CAN WE GET SOME MODERATOR HELP? [MOD Note: This post has been copied to the Golf Talk Tuesday thread. However, FYI, you'll usually have better luck if you PM us.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest surprise: I had planned to do a bit of consulting, contracting, or consulting work and for the first time in my life am unable to motivate myself. Never expected this.

Yeah, when I left I thought I'd get a PT job somewhere. A friend said her company (major provider of mutual funds) hired part-timers for phone service, to help people move in and out of funds in their employer 401(k)s, no selling involved. About a week after retiring (May, 2014) I realized I absolutely did not want to go back to a schedule of any sort. I haven't changed my mind!

Yeah, when I left I thought I'd get a PT job somewhere. A friend said her company (major provider of mutual funds) hired part-timers for phone service, to help people move in and out of funds in their employer 401(k)s, no selling involved. About a week after retiring (May, 2014) I realized I absolutely did not want to go back to a schedule of any sort. I haven't changed my mind!

I may have mentioned somewhere that I have a PT gig but: 1) it is very part time (maybe 200 hours/year?) and 2) the scheduling is all mine. I agree that I never want to have any kind of external schedule imposed on me again.

22 months for me as of 10/1....

Social life leaves a lot to be desired as I'm only 34 and all of my friends still work regular jobs. I originally thought the excitement for the weekend would go away but it is still there in a different way. Now I am excited for the weekend so I can spend time with my working friends.

I am finding that I'm in need of some sort of schedule. But not a strict schedule as I don't have any desire to be held to specific timing each day. This makes it hard to figure this desire out.

Lately I've been spending way too much time on the computer, mainly on ER blogs/forums and investing forums.

I've found my interests seem to go in cycles. I'll be interested in home remodeling projects for a couple months, then I'll get sick of it. I'll switch to gardening, then get sick of it. Switch to focusing on managing investments, then get sick of it. Rinse, repeat.

We have a 5 month old baby and my wife is now home as well. We absolutely love the amount of time we get to spend bonding with our son.

Never ever would want to go back to a structured 9-5 job again.

Our biggest desire of all would be to befriend some couples in Minnesota who are in our same position and that have similar values in life. So far we are the only sub-50 people we know who are in our position so that is making it hard.

We have a 5 month old baby and my wife is now home as well. We absolutely love the amount of time we get to spend bonding with our son.

Our biggest desire of all would be to befriend some couples in Minnesota who are in our same position and that have similar values in life. So far we are the only sub-50 people we know who are in our position so that is making it hard.

Time to leverage that kiddo into some adult friends for you, dude. :)

I'm the same age as you roughly, and most of my friends still work to some extent but many are free during traditional working hours due to flexible schedule, layoffs, self employment, not working because they are caring for their kids, etc. I'm still mostly a solitary creature and don't set up social outings with friends more than a few times during the traditional work week.

Back
Top Bottom