Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This thread is encouraging. I'm at the 50 days to go mark and have stopped watching the business news and eliminating any negativity that regularly pops up at w*rk.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Just shared your comments with DW (a public school teacher) who has been struggling with being "on the fence" for OMY. Thanks to your post, she's in a much better place now and ready to take that next step to E.R. at the end of this school year.

Me - still straddling......
Glad I could help. (I'm just paying it forward; lots of people on this forum helped me to decide to pry my butt off my Aeron and bolt for the exit.) Your DW is smart to jump.

If you keep straddling, that fence rail can cause some major bruising after a while. Go live your real life.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #23

I've been retired 776.11 days. But the point is, at the 365 mark, it could have been me writing 1, 2 and 3 from the OP. Not missing it, time flies, and spit polishing the egg, yep, yep and yep. I did go to a reunion of sorts, but it was at a place that had 60 or 70 beers on tap... I never went back to the office!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
One Year of ER Under My Belt
Old 03-11-2016, 10:14 PM   #24

I don't know but one thing I noticed, I'm getting lazier than before I retired. Only 3 months so far. I need to get off my butt and do my tax.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-12-2016, 01:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I don't know but one thing I noticed, I'm getting lazier than before I retired.
I've noticed the same thing. Whatever "it" is, it can wait until tomorrow. Same thing happens the next day and so on....
Old 03-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
You are also going to miss another Spring, since you will be doing a OMM. No way ever that be worth it to me. Spring is the best time to be FIREd!
+1

I had been debating March or June (to boost the pension that last little bit). Finally I decided that the weather in here in Florida is just too nice to be working in spring.

OTOH, about October 1, when the hellish summer breaks, would have been okay too.
Svensk Anga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I've noticed the same thing. Whatever "it" is, it can wait until tomorrow. Same thing happens the next day and so on....

Never put off till tomorrow that which can be put off to the day after tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:02 AM   #28

Great post (commenting a bit late since I'm too busy being retired to stay up to date on the forum!). It's "only" been 9 months for me but your entire post rang true.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:35 AM   #29

I am 10 months in retirement and I echo all the positive comments. I couldn't be happier. We don't spend as much as I thought we would, thankfully. What has surprised me is that my urge to travel isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. We've been on a couple of two week trips, but I don't yearn to get away like I did when working a stressful job.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #30

It's our 1 yr FIRE anniversary and we're not missing w*rk either. Just sparse contact with a few folks, but this is all the better. Too many not so great memories...

We're spending below budget, but this is good because our WR is a bit above 4% before we hit SS in a handful of yrs. The biggest reductions come from our vastly improved tax situation/ACA subsidy (living on after tax savings for now) and a huge reduction in travel.

We budgeted for about 20% more travel than when we were w*rking, assuming we would have more time to kill. We have more time, but the prospect of dealing with the travel headaches (airports/planes, long drives, bad road food) has actually cut travel by almost 70% in FIRE. I guess we love living where we're at. Life is great

Welcome aboard FIRE Classs of 2016!
FB
Old 03-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
I am 10 months in retirement and I echo all the positive comments. I couldn't be happier. We don't spend as much as I thought we would, thankfully. What has surprised me is that my urge to travel isn't nearly as strong as it used to be. We've been on a couple of two week trips, but I don't yearn to get away like I did when working a stressful job.
+1 Exactly!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #32

I am over three years into ER and do not miss the work at all. I do occasionally miss some of the social interaction. One surprise is I have done very little travel, probably because I don't have the need to get away from everything like I used to.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:36 PM   #33

No contact from me to folks from work here. My secretary called and complained about the new boss. I didn't want the headache because I've already retired, LOL, so I have not initiated any call to her yet. However, she is free to call me, I'm always here to lend her support.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-19-2016, 09:00 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Great to hear - I am just two weeks from my FIRE escape. Can't wait!!
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I just passed my one week ER anniversary ☺

Megacorp seems like ages ago!
Marketwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

This is a great post! I pulled the plug almost 17 months ago.

Just yesterday I did a recap of my investments and withdrawals from the day I retired. My investment totals are higher than when I retired. My withdrawals have been less than 3%, and I have not sold any investments to live off of. (You gotta love dividends!) Six months ago, the results wouldn't have looked so good.

After being a million mile flyer during my w**king years, we have only stepped on airplanes to go to and from Europe. We throughly enjoyed a driving trip from Colorado to Virginia so we could take care of the grandkids while their mom and dad went on a cruise.

I have stayed in touch with several of the people I worked with. Two guys that retired about the same time I did and the owner of the company are coming out next September. We will rent a house in Estes Park to enjoy the autumn leaves changing and the hopefully 1000s of elk coming to lower elevations for the annual rut.

It is enjoyable to read about the many others on this site that have had similar experiences. Life is good!
Milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
+1 Exactly!
I very much agree. Nothing I want to see, nowhere I want to go, nothing I want to do. Strolling to the library today the sky was the bluest of blue, with what seemed to be tufts of cotton balls for clouds. Later, after a brief midday nap, I went out for a treat of afternoon coffee and leisurely reading at my favorite cafe, noticing the sky had changed texture again. I couldn't experience any of that a year ago in an extremely sterile, climate controlled, sealed, inner office working on what now seems insanely inane...stuff.

Retirement reminds me of The Matrix movie, where you wake up and realize the whole time you were working your life was being sucked out of you and you didn't even know it.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for the update, Mo. I'll be gone a year in May. Everything you said could've been written by me. Can't imagine going back.
coalduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm at about 18 months.

Don't miss work one bit, though have to admit, left at a lucrative time in the industry.

My budget for the first full year was the largest it's ever been, a lot more on travel than I expected to spend, yet it was about 2% of my retirement assets.

Have a big tax payment coming up but also some trips I'm looking forward to (spent 3 weeks in New Zealand in February already).

Income would have been nice if I kept working but I prize time far more.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
My 15th year of ER, so I guess I shouldn't be using the "E" any more, but it's still just as good as the first year.

Glad to know that it's still awesome after 15 years!