Join Early Retirement Today

One Year of ER Under My Belt
Old 02-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

One Year of ER Under My Belt

I am at my first anniversary of ER as of today. For those pondering ER (or OMY), here are my thoughts:

1. Haven't missed the off*ce a bit. Not a smidgen. Not an iota. Have not been even back there (except once -- at 10pm! -- when I snuck in to drop off something for a co-w*rker). I many never go back again.

2. The year flew. Truly. That fact makes me determined to do even more meaningful leisure stuff during the coming years. If you are on the ER fence, keep that in mind. You are one step closer to the last great day with every passing second.

3. I was at 3.5% WR during this first year. I could have easily done 3%, and if needed 2.5%. The finances are managable, and I should actually spend less time managing them, not more. Index funds combined with occasional rebalancing makes for an "autopilot" portfolio. My time is better spent on living the dream, not spit-polishing the golden egg that is an ample diversified portfolio.

4. I had a huge temptation to do OMY because I was making very good money while w*rking. My decision to stay on schedule, and not go OMY, was a very good one.

5. If you are thinking about OMY even though your finances give you an 80%+ chance of success on FIREcalc (or some calculator like it), then screw OMY and jump! (I was at 100%, but now I think I was just polishing the cannonball....)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for the update Mo Money! So awesome to hear all of these success stories
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You made me chuckle. Thanks for the input. Just 4 more months here. They are actually going fast. I worried the weeks would crawl as I got closer. Perhaps the realization that it soon won't matter makes the time pass easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for this post! I need to hear this as I am doing OMM(s) myself. I just changed my plan from 3/1/16 to 7/5/16 to be eligible for the fiscal year end bonus. I don't want to turn this into OMY!
Sasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Money View Post
1. Haven't missed the off*ce a bit. Not a smidgen. Not an iota.
I have met and spoken to many retirees over the past couple of years. This has been the mantra, 100%. NO ONE misses work. Even people that ran successful businesses, or people that flew all over the world, or people that just did minimal jobs.

Only 129 days left for... It seems like forever.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #6

My 15th year of ER, so I guess I shouldn't be using the "E" any more, but it's still just as good as the first year.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasset View Post
Thanks for this post! I need to hear this as I am doing OMM(s) myself. I just changed my plan from 3/1/16 to 7/5/16 to be eligible for the fiscal year end bonus. I don't want to turn this into OMY!
You are also going to miss another Spring, since you will be doing a OMM. No way ever that be worth it to me. Spring is the best time to be FIREd!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #8

Thanks for the post, I have approx 3.5months to go and info like yours is encouraging. Many of my car buddies that are retired say they are plenty busy and don't know how they had time to work. I want to have that same problem!

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM   #9

+1 on just about everything said..... 2 years in and life is great.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #10

+1. ER 13 years although I guess it's not ER any more since I'm 65...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:56 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm out three years January 4th, and the whole work thing seems like it happened to someone else....or at least, in someone else's lifetime!!!!

In other words, not only do I not miss it, pretty soon I won't even be able to remember it!!!!

Which is a shock because I "worked" longer in my life than I did NOT work!!!!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Tomorrow makes 4 years for me, and yes, the time has flown by!

We stayed in Colorado but moved to an active 55+ community, and the interaction with the residents there and all the new friends we've made - WOW - it has truly been a blessing.

Many discussions in one of the hot tubs or around the firepits and I discovered pretty quickly that folks didn't really give a rip about what you did in your working days - they want to hear about what you're doing now! I love it! Very occasionally someone will want to talk about past careers - usually they're wanting to talk about themselves, and so they'll float a question to get the ball rolling. I oblige them, we talk a bit, and then when I leave I feel a need to kind of shake it off and get on with more important things at hand.

This phase of life just feels more like a gift every day. Sure I worked 40 years to get here, but still...it's a gift.
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

Coming up on a year. It's surreal that a year ago I was working, wasting my life furthering someone else's agenda at the expense of mine. Did I really do that? Was that me, or someone else? How did I find the time to work? Maybe it was a dream.

This past year fastest year of my life, and probably most productive (when you spend a lifetime neglecting your own agenda, there's much to do). An exhaustive estate and emergency disaster planning overhaul capped and ended a nonstop succession of projects after retirement, with me then getting sick, unable to get out of bed for a week. Now I've nothing to do!

Financially, further ahead than even a year ago, despite the market. Spend at most twenty minutes monthly updating financials, no more.

Ran into my replacement at work a week ago, told him it was great to see him, but that I didn't want to hear a word about it. That sums up the difference a year can make.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a month away from 2 years and I barely remember working.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #15

Congratulations on feeling comfortable with the financial portion of ER so quickly. It took me longer, but then we ER's in 2008. We had friends who ER'd 8 months ago visiting this weekend and I could see them still adjusting to the lack of a paycheck - not that they miss working for it.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:15 AM   #16

Just shared your comments with DW (a public school teacher) who has been struggling with being "on the fence" for OMY. Thanks to your post, she's in a much better place now and ready to take that next step to E.R. at the end of this school year.

Me - still straddling......
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you! I have 2 months left of work (4/29/16 is last day - age 46) and have started wondering if I made the right decision. Finances are in great shape - I am just concerned that I will miss my co-workers and having something to do. I know it is all in my head and I will not be thinking about work while I am playing golf.......
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Posts like this make me want to do OLY. Our plan is 4/1/2018 - so almost at the 2 year mark.
whatnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for posting. Been almost 3 and it keeps getting better.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 AM   #20
gone traveling

My one year anniversary is coming up in a couple weeks. Your post inspired me to reflect and post my first year experiences too. Thanks !
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote